Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:41:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Yet another Coin Control Release [CLOSED]  (Read 47428 times)
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 02:39:17 AM

How about the Foundation pays for more full time devs?
They are spending all their money hiring lobbyists, lawyers and PR.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
wumpus
qt

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 10:26:13 AM
Last edit: December 24, 2013, 10:49:55 AM by wumpus

That might be true. But guess what? You can buy manpower. How about the Foundation pays for more full time devs?
Be careful what you wish for.

Two of the most active devs (me and Gavin) are already paid for by the Bitcoin Foundation. Do you really want them to hire an army?

Please see the political difficulties here, the danger of centralization. A nice central point that can be sued and/or threatened in other ways. Please don't fall into this trap of hoping some nice organization will take care of your problems and clean up this decentralized chaos.

We don't need the BF to pay for more devs. We need more devs to organize around the project from their own free will and/or sponsored by independent entities (if possible geographically distributed). The forum community would be a possibility though.

In any case: get involved!

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
cozz (OP)

Activity: 61
Merit: 15

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 06:17:28 PM

What people can do, who can not code, but want to help with a GUI feature, is providing a complete prepared mockup.

Including:
- Screenshots, created with gimp,paint,
  Or better: download QT Designer and click the GUI together
- Think the whole thing through, make a list of all features and use cases
  Also things like: What should happen if...
- Icons, Pictures
- Helptexts, error-messages, tooltips, descriptions, labels
- write a testplan

This is all very simple but time consuming stuff. A developer who can just pick up from there, and does not have to think about what to implement
has a very easy job.

About the other thing:
You have to understand gavin and why he made such a drama with the testplan. This is not about a core dev having privileges over a community dev,
but a known dev over an unknown one. It was the first pull request I have submitted without any references, so there is nothing wrong in testing and code reviewing this
a little more, than from a developer who you know has delivered stable code for years.

1cozzwyCJvDiyBA8zXGJ1qxtrd5b4i1nB
wiggi

Activity: 403
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 05:35:25 PM

Normally the Coin Control window waits for user input and doesn't update itself
when a new block is accepted. However it does update the number of confirmations when "List mode"/"Tree mode" is toggled
and the selections and sorting is preserved when toggled back (which is pretty awesome).

Is there any trouble to expect if CoinControlDialog::updateView()
would run every time nBestHeight goes up?
subSTRATA
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1043

:^)

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 01:58:27 AM
Last edit: March 08, 2014, 02:10:19 AM by subSTRATA

Bug with "Tree mode":

1. Select some unspent input on address X, send some coins from it to different wallet and let Bitcoin-Qt handle change address (make a new one in
the background). That change address will be shown as a child of address X, as a visual aid for existence of connection between those two addresses.

2. Do the same as in 1. but for change address (or second destination, where number of coins to be sent = change) use address Z which you created
in the same wallet. Afterwards, address Z will not be shown as a child of address X even though there is direct link between those two addresses, e.g.
change address in case 1. and address Z have the same status toward address X.

Client version v0.8.5.0-gef14a26-beta on Win7 64-bit.

I will post screenshots if neccessary.

theres nothing here. message me if you want to put something here.
wtogami

Activity: 263
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 02:14:56 AM

Can you please see if the same bug exists in Bitcoin 0.9 rc2?

If you appreciate my work please consider making a small donation.
BTC:  1LkYiL3RaouKXTUhGcE84XLece31JjnLc3      LTC:  LYtrtYZsVSn5ymhPepcJMo4HnBeeXXVKW9
GPG: AEC1884398647C47413C1C3FB1179EB7347DC10D
awesomeami

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 11:37:27 AM

Bug with "Tree mode":

1. Select some unspent input on address X, send some coins from it to different wallet and let Bitcoin-Qt handle change address (make a new one in
the background). That change address will be shown as a child of address X, as a visual aid for existence of connection between those two addresses.

2. Do the same as in 1. but for change address (or second destination, where number of coins to be sent = change) use address Z which you created
in the same wallet. Afterwards, address Z will not be shown as a child of address X even though there is direct link between those two addresses, e.g.
change address in case 1. and address Z have the same status toward address X.

Client version v0.8.5.0-gef14a26-beta on Win7 64-bit.

I will post screenshots if neccessary.
Pls, pls fill the bug report if u can do this with 0.9 RC2, ty.

subSTRATA
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 04:44:41 PM

The last version of CC or OMG clients (Win binary) I can find are both version 0.8.5

http://download1.rpmfusion.org/~warren/bitcoin-0.8.5-OMG10/

Is there any newer Win binary?

hahahafr

Activity: 938
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 12:28:27 AM

The last version of CC or OMG clients (Win binary) I can find are both version 0.8.5

http://download1.rpmfusion.org/~warren/bitcoin-0.8.5-OMG10/

Is there any newer Win binary?

https://bitcoin.org/bin/0.9.0/test/

◢◣                      ◢◣
                                     ◢████◣           ◢████◣
                               ◢████████◣◢████████◣
                               █████████████████
                               █████████████████
                               █████████████████
                               █████████████◤██████
                               ███████████◤████████
                               █████████◤██████████
                               ███████◤████████████
                               █████◤██████████████
                               █████◣                       ◢█████
                               ███████◣            ◢███████
                               █████████◣◢█████████
                               ◥████████◤◥████████◤
                                    ◥████◤            ◥████◤
                                          ◥◤                      

HYDAX
       Secure  
   Efficient
   Simple  
   Medium 
    Twitter  
    Telegram 
[/center
subSTRATA
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 04:57:33 PM

Thanks, I will check it later today on Testnet (of course).

subSTRATA
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 07:19:46 PM
Last edit: March 10, 2014, 09:03:36 PM by subSTRATA

There were problems right from the first start:

1. New client does not recognize testnet=1 over bitcoin.conf file. Using -testnet over command line helped but then ...

2. New client failed to recognize testnet datadir (testnet3) is a subdirectory of datadir root so it shocked me a bit to see 0 coins and no blockchain
downloaded. To solve issue, I had to copy all data from testnet3 subdirectory to datadir root (are we getting testnet4 maybe?).

3. Once all was set and ready to go, I noticed "Tree mode" checkboxes are not working properly. If there is one unspent input on some address and
I click on checkbox to select that address, checkbox will turn into partially selected state, as if there are more than one unspent input but not all of
them are selected. If I expand that tree I can see both checkboxes have partially selected state, which is totally hmm given that unspent input itself
has that state as well, as if part of it is selected (not really possible). https://i.imgur.com/n67yTb5.png shows incorrect state of checkboxes after
user clicks once on address checkbox (top 2 cases, unexpanded and expanded tree) and how it should look like regardless of the number of unspent
inputs on that address (bottom 2 cases, unexpanded and expanded tree).

If address checkbox is not selected, expanding the tree and clicking on unspent input checkbox turns both checkboxes to fully selected state, as it all
is supposed to work with this scenario. In short, if some tree is not expanded and user clicks on address checkbox, that checkbox and checkboxes of
all unspent inputs at that address should become fully selected, not partialy.

4. Problem as explained earlier (post on previous page) still exists.

https://i.imgur.com/0XyjpOz.png

50 BTC were selected and 25 BTC sent to Testnet3 faucet (mimoZNLcP2rrMRgdeX5PSnR7AjCqQveZZ4) leaving to wallet to create a new address for
change. Remaining 25 BTC ended up on that address and are shown properly as child of original address (mfaULtk7AFHCSBefQKZo6AiLzqktJEwm2Z).

http://pool.qdoop.net:18331/tx/1febd5191ff6b5a830fb79b6185464c17471b4a18dc563aee4d2db06a9b7345f

Another 50 BTC were selected and 25 BTC sent to Testnet3 faucet but this time I created new address (mq9TuNTCVhGzcYQGv7RWiKhcHnwUBt5tC3),
named it "Test" and used it as a change destination. As you can see from screenshot posted above, remaining 25 BTC were sent to that address but
they did not ended up shown as a child of original address but as a normal unspent input.

http://pool.qdoop.net:18331/tx/615b729cefdfc039e53ff475b0540a266db5a9f51566af5387a59278cca5a0a7

After some thinking and given options which Coin Control provides I just don't see how it all can be fixed. With few unspent inputs on few different
addresses it seems that correct visual representation of taints could easily become a horror or even impossible.

5. Not related to Coin Control but annoying, there is no "Copy address" upon right-clicking some receiving address nor address itself is shown  Huh
To see receiving address user must double-click on address row to pop-up window with QR code. Then to copy address it takes to double-click it so
it becomes selected and then right-click > Copy or CTRL+C (this is starting to remind me of Microsoft "genius" changes to WinOS and other software).

https://i.imgur.com/PQRm0Ms.png

Client version v0.9.0.0-gd6e0e17-beta on Win7 64-bit.

cozz (OP)

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 10:56:54 PM
Last edit: March 11, 2014, 12:26:13 AM by cozz

@subSTRATA

about 3)

I can confirm this on windows.
It should not affect coin control functionality, but the checkbox state is misleading currently.
My first thought is that this is related to going from qt4 to qt5, in any case I will look into this.
Edit: Just compiled under linux, yes this is a qt5 bug. I will try to submit this upstream somehow.

about 4)

This is expected. Addresses you create by yourself are not considered as change addresses by the
wallet. So they will not appear as child. This may not be what you expect in this case, but this problem
is rather related to the way the wallet recognizes change in general, than to coin control.

Edit: By the way if you prefer the old receive tab, its still available through menu->File->Receiving addresses

int03h

Activity: 532
Merit: 104

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 11:10:59 PM

There were problems right from the first start:

1. New client does not recognize testnet=1 over bitcoin.conf file. Using -testnet over command line helped but then ...

2. New client failed to recognize testnet datadir (testnet3) is a subdirectory of datadir root so it shocked me a bit to see 0 coins and no blockchain
downloaded. To solve issue, I had to copy all data from testnet3 subdirectory to datadir root (are we getting testnet4 maybe?).

3. Once all was set and ready to go, I noticed "Tree mode" checkboxes are not working properly. If there is one unspent input on some address and
I click on checkbox to select that address, checkbox will turn into partially selected state, as if there are more than one unspent input but not all of
them are selected. If I expand that tree I can see both checkboxes have partially selected state, which is totally hmm given that unspent input itself
has that state as well, as if part of it is selected (not really possible). https://i.imgur.com/n67yTb5.png shows incorrect state of checkboxes after
user clicks once on address checkbox (top 2 cases, unexpanded and expanded tree) and how it should look like regardless of the number of unspent
inputs on that address (bottom 2 cases, unexpanded and expanded tree).

If address checkbox is not selected, expanding the tree and clicking on unspent input checkbox turns both checkboxes to fully selected state, as it all
is supposed to work with this scenario. In short, if some tree is not expanded and user clicks on address checkbox, that checkbox and checkboxes of
all unspent inputs at that address should become fully selected, not partialy.

4. Problem as explained earlier (post on previous page) still exists.

https://i.imgur.com/0XyjpOz.png

50 BTC were selected and 25 BTC sent to Testnet3 faucet (mimoZNLcP2rrMRgdeX5PSnR7AjCqQveZZ4) leaving to wallet to create a new address for
change. Remaining 25 BTC ended up on that address and are shown properly as child of original address (mfaULtk7AFHCSBefQKZo6AiLzqktJEwm2Z).

http://pool.qdoop.net:18331/tx/1febd5191ff6b5a830fb79b6185464c17471b4a18dc563aee4d2db06a9b7345f

Another 50 BTC were selected and 25 BTC sent to Testnet3 faucet but this time I created new address (mq9TuNTCVhGzcYQGv7RWiKhcHnwUBt5tC3),
named it "Test" and used it as a change destination. As you can see from screenshot posted above, remaining 25 BTC were sent to that address but
they did not ended up shown as a child of original address but as a normal unspent input.

http://pool.qdoop.net:18331/tx/615b729cefdfc039e53ff475b0540a266db5a9f51566af5387a59278cca5a0a7

After some thinking and given options which Coin Control provides I just don't see how it all can be fixed. With few unspent inputs on few different
addresses it seems that correct visual representation of taints could easily become a horror or even impossible.

5. Not related to Coin Control but annoying, there is no "Copy address" upon right-clicking some receiving address nor address itself is shown  Huh
To see receiving address user must double-click on address row to pop-up window with QR code. Then to copy address it takes to double-click it so
it becomes selected and then right-click > Copy or CTRL+C (this is starting to remind me of Microsoft "genius" changes to WinOS and other software).

https://i.imgur.com/PQRm0Ms.png

Client version v0.9.0.0-gd6e0e17-beta on Win7 64-bit.

make tickets on github.com/Bitcoin/bitcoin if you want attention on these.  The devs don't scour the boards looking for random problems. ( or at least they shouldn't be Smiley )

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues?state=open

subSTRATA
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 11:51:16 PM

about 4)

This is expected. Addresses you create by yourself are not considered as change addresses by the
wallet. So they will not appear as child. This may not be what you expect in this case, but this problem
is rather related to the way the wallet recognizes change in general, than to coin control.

Still a bug.  Grin

make tickets on github.com/Bitcoin/bitcoin if you want attention on these.  The devs don't scour the boards looking for random problems. ( or at least they shouldn't be Smiley )

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues?state=open

Done already, no responses yet.

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/3840

cozz (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 09:54:10 PM

Closing this thread now.

The patch is included in bitcoin core 0.9. If you find a bug, please report to upstream github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  

Jump to: