Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:00:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: if you're not buying  (Read 3605 times)
paulie_w (OP)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 03:51:31 PM

then what the hell are you doing messing with bitcoin anyway?

i don't understand any of you sell, ever. i would not sell a single bitcoin until at least 5-6 years from now. whether $5 or $500, what price you buy at until then probably doesn't matter in the slightest.

think about that guy who spent 10,000 on a pizza. i'll bet he'd rather have $270,000 in value right now but never even considered that it might be possible.

guys, at _$3000_ per bitcoin, we're still talking about a total market cap that is roughly only equal to a _single_ fortune 500 company.

so, i think you're all crazy. the only threads here should be "buy!" "fucking buy now!" and "still buying!"
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
marhjan

Activity: 215
Merit: 105

Poorer than I ought to be

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 03:57:17 PM

think about that guy who spent 10,000 on a pizza. i'll bet he'd rather have $270,000 in value right now but never even considered that it might be possible.

Consider the fact that if the pizza transaction, and the few pairs of alpaca socks which actually sold never happened, btc may have never gotten off the ground.  I'm quite sure that even with hindsight the buyer of that pizza considers it a worthwhile investment.

Donations happily accepted @ 15qxNsc7pBiz5kXpAJykw4etzMbZitm2mk
lucif

Activity: 462

Clown prophet

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 03:57:34 PM

Such threads always appear at bubble top, as goofs always join last.

Happy bulls screaming everywhere is a first warning sign =) As well as situation when blood runs on street and everybody selling - is a good sign for reversal.

You better watch the signs, or you may miss the point of huge reversal with such overwhelming sentiment.
mccorvic

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 04:04:48 PM
Last edit: February 15, 2013, 04:24:00 PM by mccorvic

I do agree with you OP, but I don't have tons invested in BTC either.  I have always said buy and hold.  If the market crashes to $5 today I would, personally, still just buy and hold.  

The only exception is if the market jumped like $30 dollars in a day.  In that case I'd probably wait to buy for a week or two to test stability.

CLARIFICATION: I actually usually say Buy and Hold or Spend.  I think the 10,000BTC pizza was important and I do use BTC to buy goods/services whenever possible because BTC is more than just hoarding.  It's about a new economy for the Internetz.

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
Nemesis

Activity: 462

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 04:20:17 PM

i don't understand any of you sell, ever. i would not sell a single bitcoin until at least 5-6 years from now. whether $5 or $500, what price you buy at until then probably doesn't matter in the slightest.

guys, at _$3000_ per bitcoin, we're still talking about a total market cap that is roughly only equal to a _single_ fortune 500 company.

so, i think you're all crazy. the only threads here should be "buy!" "fucking buy now!" and "still buying!"

LOL you should wonder why ppl even bother trading.

Better yet, just ask any hedge fund to .... just fucking buy.... thats a better way to earn returns and those big fat bonus!

Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 04:26:30 PM

Happy bulls screaming everywhere is a first warning sign =) As well as situation when blood runs on street and everybody selling - is a good sign for reversal.

You better watch the signs, or you may miss the point of huge reversal with such overwhelming sentiment.

This never failed me in Bitcoin.

What I found strange is that many people use these words in situations where they don't apply. After the '11 bubble had just burst, when everybody was still confused but mostly bullish, they said "this is blood on the streets, the time to buy." However, when the market hammered down below 3 USD in a madness of shorts and panic afterward, they said "See you at $1".

Right now, the euphoria is obvious. To not see it, one has to not want to see it.

My question to you is: why are you posting this now that lots of people are in a frenzy to buy anyway?

Another question to everyone: there are many threads and posts of this type now. Where were they in September '11, when I had to get angry at bears for constantly insulting bulls or even balanced traders? We are over a factor 13 away from the low. Shouldn't anyone screaming now have screamed 13 times louder then?
mccorvic

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 04:30:04 PM

This never failed me in Bitcoin.

What I found strange is that many people use these words in situations where they don't apply. After the '11 bubble had just burst, when everybody was still confused but mostly bullish, they said "this is blood on the streets, the time to buy." However, when the market hammered down below 3 USD in a madness of shorts and panic afterward, they said "See you at $1".

What lucif forgets is that the happy bulls were happy at $15...then $17....then $20....then $27.  It's not a very good indicator if it doesn't indicate anything.  It's almost like it's impossible to predict the market! What a shock!

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
lassdas
Legendary

Activity: 3649
Merit: 1412

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 04:32:18 PM

And if noone would ever sell (until at least 5-6 years from now, which is quite different from ever, but anyway),
then what would others buy?

I mean, there wouldn't be anything to buy and I guess those people that would never sell also don't even think about buying anything, then what would Bitcoin be good for? Where would it be today if noone ever actually used it?
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2013, 04:34:03 PM

All you sellers who don't have faith and see this as a bubble...feel free to sell any time.  Grab all the bids off the book before somebody else does.

There is a correlation between the steadiness of the hands holding Bitcoin and its market price.  Those of you who will sell on a whim need to be relieved of your coins so those of us wanting to hold them can see the price approach what we think is the true value.  So, please, sell sell sell.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
lebing
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

Enabling the maximal migration

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 04:38:18 PM

And if noone would ever sell (until at least 5-6 years from now, which is quite different from ever, but anyway),
then what would others buy?

I mean, there wouldn't be anything to buy and I guess those people that would never sell also don't even think about buying anything, then what would Bitcoin be good for? Where would it be today if noone ever actually used it?

Hoarders sell, but just small amounts at a time. Casual miners are more likely to be selling (though those may be extinct soon).

Bro, do you even blockchain?
-E Voorhees
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2013, 04:50:04 PM

No this is not a game,  price is completely distorted, EVERYONE knows that... we are being fucked with!
Speculators have no choice to buy low and sell high, not to make money, but to survive this crazy market....

mccorvic

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 04:51:20 PM

No this is not a game,  price is completely distorted, EVERYONE knows that... we are being fucked with!
Speculators have no choice to buy low and sell high, not to make money, but to survive this crazy market....

You're right. The price is really distorted. Still far too low.

Nesetalis

Activity: 420

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 04:51:50 PM

I think the OP missed out on the base value of bitcoin being that it is a medium of exchange. Without an exchange going on somewhere, your bitcoin would be next to useless.

I have two modes, save and spend.
Spend mode I convert USD to bitcoin to buy something, in that mode, I don't care one way or another what the price of bitcoins are... I'm purchasing with USD through bitcoin as a medium.

This means some one else is buying my USD for bitcoin, and that some one else is selling my bitcoins for some other currency. This cash flow means that the market is moving, living, and suggests value, allowing new users to buy in, selling their USD for bitcoin. If I was the only one buying high, not trading, there would be no one to put fluid bitcoins in to the market.

In other words, shut up and take my money, I have things to buy. Tongue

In savings mode, I watch the price and try to buy low, to maximize my investment. But I'm investing long term, I expect bitcoin to be around for at least a few decades. So what price I buy at now matters less than what price I expect it to get to in the future.

ZOMG Moo!
waspoza

Activity: 602
Merit: 508

Firstbits: 1waspoza

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 05:44:06 PM

All you sellers who don't have faith and see this as a bubble...feel free to sell any time.  Grab all the bids off the book before somebody else does.

There is a correlation between the steadiness of the hands holding Bitcoin and its market price.  Those of you who will sell on a whim need to be relieved of your coins so those of us wanting to hold them can see the price approach what we think is the true value.  So, please, sell sell sell.

+1
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 06:08:25 PM

The weakest trader in this market is a bear. He thinks about ALL TIME HIGHS and how bitcoin is prone to LARGE CRASHES. Perhaps he already had his pockets picked at 15-20, who knows. The price action from the steam up after 15 has been different that the rise from 2-15. There is almost NO profit taking. We go up a leg, the fish sell at the plateau and the price continues to rise. The pump and dump has ended.

BitcoinRate.com

Activity: 116
Merit: 11

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2013, 06:15:35 PM

If nobody is selling, nobody can buy as well...

★ Get +16GB extra on your Dropbox: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=142163.0
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2013, 06:31:35 PM

Anyone who never sells isn't playing aggressively enough. Use most of your savings, quit your job to run a bitcoin business and sell every week or month.

I'm not actually saying everyone should to this. But "True bitcoiner never sells" is bogus. True bitcoiner sells to eat because he has so damn many.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
MacMiner

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 06:33:57 PM

Anyone who never sells isn't playing aggressively enough. Use most of your savings, quit your job to run a bitcoin business and sell every week or month.

I'm not actually saying everyone should to this. But "True bitcoiner never sells" is bogus. True bitcoiner sells to eat because he has so damn many.
+1
arepo

Activity: 448

this statement is false

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 10:29:20 PM

people like you are why the price is so damn high, and people like you will be the bagholders soon enough.

this sentence has fifteen words, seventy-four letters, four commas, one hyphen, and a period.
18N9md2G1oA89kdBuiyJFrtJShuL5iDWDz
mccorvic

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 10:40:04 PM

people like you are why the price is so damn high, and people like you will be the bagholders soon enough.

Why are you so maaaaaaaad?

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: