Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 07:37:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Coinbase is "Down for maintenance" -- Missing 100BTC sent 10 hours ago.  (Read 2696 times)
deadweasel (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 16, 2013, 02:19:38 AM

Sent 100BTC from Coinbase.com today at 11:15 AM eastern time to Blockchain.info.  Was in PENDING all day.  Now coinbase is "down for maintenance". 

Pending in their sense meant not yet included in a block.  Unfortunately I see a .10BTC deposit to my address about 5 hours later.  Not expected from anyone at all, never get these.

Very scared about this.

No response to support emails sent about changes to their service that were sent 3 days ago as well as today.

Anyone want to chime in with their experience?

reddit question here:  http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/18m76o/coinbase_is_down_missing_100_btc_sent_out_6_hours/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
February 16, 2013, 02:28:22 AM

I have a bad feeling about this. I had some bitcoins pending to go to my wallet for 24 hours now.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
whitenight639

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 16, 2013, 02:49:03 AM

Am I right in thinking you can check any address and see its worth? can you do this from blockchain.info?

Surely it'll be credited to your account when they go back online and synchronise

But it sucks bro

125uWc197UW5kM659m4uwEakxoNHzMKzwz
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 16, 2013, 02:54:41 AM

I've had positive experiences with Coinbase, but I have to admit that I've never trusted anyone with so much bitcoin value at once.  If this is a hack or a white turned black node fraud, I'm truly sorry for your loss. 

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
camolist

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2013, 02:59:31 AM

read the other day about unconfirmed transactions. looks like they cleared that up. maybe this is related

i had a small (sub 1btc) move from that account today take several hours to get broadcast but it did go through so give it some time if its only been 6 hours

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
February 16, 2013, 03:04:34 AM

They tweeted this message a few minutes ago:
"To those with unconfirmed transactions - rest assured, we're currently working to fix the issue."

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
deadweasel (OP)

View Profile
February 16, 2013, 03:38:59 AM

Site back up.

Transaction still pending. 

twitter more active than support emails.  Lame.

Is this a haiku?  No.

jerfelix

Activity: 266

View Profile
February 16, 2013, 07:17:37 AM

I successfully transferred 60+ bitcoins out of Coinbase last night.

Good luck to you.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 04:25:39 PM

At least it appears they are working on the problem. If I had intentions to sell I would be upset.

I successfully transferred 60+ bitcoins out of Coinbase last night.

Good luck to you.

DigitalHermit

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

Thank you! Thank you! ...

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 05:11:37 PM

I initiated a transfer out of BTC yesterday morning - 12 hours later coinbase actually pushed the transaction to the blockchain where it was shortly confirmed.

So looks like there are still major delays but eventually funds are being delivered.
brian_armstrong

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 18, 2013, 01:30:59 AM

Hello and thanks for the heads up on this.  We are almost done going through and cleaning these up.  Please check your balance and see if it now back to normal.

This was a view bug (the coins were never moved) that resulted from the unconfirmed transactions earlier this week.  Basically a bunch of pending transactions got added which were not processed yet but they were still affecting the balance calculation.

Did a major rewrite of it saturday and pushed it out, so this *should* be a thing of the past.  Definitely made us look bad though as the balance is one thing that should never get messed up.

We are still going through support requests but if you see anything else definitely let us know.  Thank you for bearing with us!
deadweasel (OP)

View Profile
February 18, 2013, 02:39:07 AM

Hello and thanks for the heads up on this.  We are almost done going through and cleaning these up.  Please check your balance and see if it now back to normal.

This was a view bug (the coins were never moved) that resulted from the unconfirmed transactions earlier this week.  Basically a bunch of pending transactions got added which were not processed yet but they were still affecting the balance calculation.

Did a major rewrite of it saturday and pushed it out, so this *should* be a thing of the past.  Definitely made us look bad though as the balance is one thing that should never get messed up.

We are still going through support requests but if you see anything else definitely let us know.  Thank you for bearing with us!

Brian, thank you for the damage control at this point.  Things are, in fact, all corrected on my end.  Confirmed transaction has left my coinbase 'wallet'. 

I have concerns about your method of maintaining 'wallets' and the way in which people are led to believe they have a wallet of their own on coinbase.  It seems to me that what people have is a number on their account page, which only really corresponds to a number in a database.  This database is likely linked to the 'hot wallet'.  As the coins were mine, and should have been in my own 'block' and 'wallet' that my account should have had access too, I should never have encountered this issue.  If I had a pending 'purchase' I would not think this a problem. 

I realize this thing is bigger than both of us, surely more than your combined staff.  I suggest getting a PR person or method of handling support emails beyond twitter and blog posts.  Affected customers need to be notified immediately.  Think about your bank, when it is down, you get an email, and another when it is back up.  This, along with reasons why they are down.  This affect cannot be understated when running a business.

As it is, I still believe Coinbase to be one of the best ways to get BTC.  I cannot, however, recommend leaving coins there for longer than it takes to send them to a personal, offline, cold wallet.

Brian, thank you for clearing this matter up. I'm sure we have all learned a little about ourselves through this.  I hope it sticks with us all and improvements happen across the board.

Regards,

A Dead Weasel

notserp
Legendary

Activity: 2240
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 20, 2013, 12:22:07 PM

this is still going on been waiting like 35 hours
bronco

Activity: 57
Merit: 0