Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:32:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using same wallet in different computers  (Read 5110 times)
mrx (OP)

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 12:32:02 PM

Now I have a wallet first created on computer A and it has some BTC in it. Then I installed another copy of bitcoin on computer B(both are Windows). I want two of my computers share one wallet, then I don't need to check both computers to get my overall balance.

The problem is when I copied my wallet from computer A to computer B, the client on computer B won't open. It shows the interface then some errors which says "alloc" or something(forget it, can't access computer B now), and then the client exits.

I've tried to copy all files under %appdata%/Bitcoin on computer A to computer B, and the client could start, but after receiving a payment it crashed again with same error.

Are wallets designed to be used on only 1 computer or there is sth wrong with my computers?

my 1st post and I'm not good at English...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 07:33:50 PM

Now I have a wallet first created on computer A and it has some BTC in it. Then I installed another copy of bitcoin on computer B(both are Windows). I want two of my computers share one wallet, then I don't need to check both computers to get my overall balance.

The problem is when I copied my wallet from computer A to computer B, the client on computer B won't open. It shows the interface then some errors which says "alloc" or something(forget it, can't access computer B now), and then the client exits.

I've tried to copy all files under %appdata%/Bitcoin on computer A to computer B, and the client could start, but after receiving a payment it crashed again with same error.

Are wallets designed to be used on only 1 computer or there is sth wrong with my computers?

wallet.dat is interchangeable btwn diff computers, even different OS's.   try deleting all files except wallet.dat in Bitcoin folder and restarting client.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 07:35:35 PM

you won't be able to "share" the same wallet.dat btwn 2 computers.  unfortunately ur gonna have to move wallet.dat back and forth btwn them.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 11:39:19 PM

I want two of my computers share one wallet, then I don't need to check both computers to get my overall balance.

You might want to look into a client that accesses the bitcoin client using RPC:

- http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Spesmilo
 or
 - http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Bitcoin-js-remote

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

mrx (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 02:12:43 AM

you won't be able to "share" the same wallet.dat btwn 2 computers.  unfortunately ur gonna have to move wallet.dat back and forth btwn them.

Then I can't use a wallet simultaneously on two computers?
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 07:50:02 AM

Then I can't use a wallet simultaneously on two computers?

No.
 http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=5324.msg77896#msg77896
 http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Wallet

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Ivanish

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2011, 09:02:56 AM

What about the option of using something like dropbox?
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 10:19:51 AM

Though it might work if you can ensure that only one computer will ever run the client at a time, the likely even bigger problem is that for that method to work you would have Dropbox backing up your wallet.dat without encrypting it first.

http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Securing_your_wallet#General_Solutions
 "Your wallet.dat file is not encrypted by BitCoin. Anyone who can access it can easily steal all of your coins"

So again, the answer is no -- do not try to share the same wallet on more than one computer.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

mrx (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 11:13:57 AM

Though it might work if you can ensure that only one computer will ever run the client at a time, the likely even bigger problem is that for that method to work you would have Dropbox backing up your wallet.dat without encrypting it first.

http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Securing_your_wallet#General_Solutions
 "Your wallet.dat file is not encrypted by BitCoin. Anyone who can access it can easily steal all of your coins"

So again, the answer is no -- do not try to share the same wallet on more than one computer.

Generally I use flash disk and VPN connection to computer B's intranet through password protected share to get two wallets synced.

Now I meet the error again just after receiving mining income.

error info:

EXCEPTION: St9bad_alloc
std::bad_alloc
C:\Progra....(path to exe)\bitcoin.exe in
CMyApp::OnExecptionInMainLoop()

and I cannot start the client.

I'll consider using RPC to access my wallet. Thanks for the explanations!
mrx (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 03:56:03 PM

..and now, bitcoin won't start and keep giving the error above on computer A. Computer B is all right.

I plan to start rpc server on computer A with existing wallet file.

I tried to clear out whole %appdata%\bitcoin, no luck.

How to achieve my goal now? Huh
mrx (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 05:49:55 AM

Shameless bumping.

I really need to get my computer A working with my wallet because computer B is not accessible without VPN and it's less secure because it's public(I'm sure nobody else using com B know what is Bitcoin but it's public. In fact it's in a class).

Still getting St9bad_alloc problem...
mollari

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 05:03:42 AM

Have you tried updating to the latest client version?
https://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=16553.0
RaTTuS

Activity: 792
Merit: 1000

Bite me

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 11:32:37 AM

the other way ,
start bitcoin on your secure machine,
get it's payment address,
and issue a payment from the unsecured one to your new address, continue to use the new one for ever

In the Beginning there was CPU , then GPU , then FPGA then ASIC, what next I hear to ask ....

1RaTTuSEN7jJUDiW1EGogHwtek7g9BiEn
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: