Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 02:27:35 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I fell into the bear trap... three times.  (Read 2630 times)
niko (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 08:01:51 PM

I can't take this any more. Over the past six days I sold three times expecting a correction, only to get hurt and call a stop-loss at 2%-4% above. The second time I actually got it right, but changed my mind and bought back after the Mega tweet. Sure enough, the price briefly fell ~5% within a day, right through my deleted bids.

All in all, I quit. All my coins go into paper wallets, and I focus less on charts and more on preparing for the newborn, which is due in a few weeks.

Oh, and this being the speculation thread - expect a big correction any moment after I've gone all paper, followed by a continued rise. The correction simply due to trigger-happy, anxious speculators, the rise due to great-looking fundamentals.

Yours truly,

niko 

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
humanitee

Activity: 1302
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 08:04:09 PM

I can't take this any more. Over the past six days I sold three times expecting a correction, only to get hurt and call a stop-loss at 2%-4% above. The second time I actually got it right, but changed my mind and bought back after the Mega tweet. Sure enough, the price briefly fell ~5% within a day, right through my deleted bids.

All in all, I quit. All my coins go into paper wallets, and I focus less on charts and more on preparing for the newborn, which is due in a few weeks.

Oh, and this being the speculation thread - expect a big correction any moment after I've gone all paper, followed by a continued rise. The correction simply due to trigger-happy, anxious speculators, the rise due to great-looking fundamentals.

Yours truly,

niko 

Wisdom!

Good luck with your newborn!

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
▄███▀▀▀▀▀████▄▄ █▄▄
▄▄          ▀▀████▄  ██▄
█████▄            ▀█████  ██▄
▄█████████           ▀█████ ███▄
▄█████████▀▀           ▀█████ ███▄
▄███  █████             ▀█████ ████
███  █████                █████ ████
███ █████                  ████  ████
███ █████                ▄████  ████
███ █████                ███████████
▀██ █████▄                █████████
▀██ ██████▄                ▀█████
▀██ ███████                  ▀▀▀
▀██ ██████▄▄                 
▀██ ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
▀▀ █████████████████▀
▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀

Fast, Secure, and Fully

DecentralizeTrading
BACKED BY:
─────────────────────────
BINANCE
─────── LAB
&█████████████████████████████████ █  ███
█▀    ▀█  ███▀▀▀▀▀████████  ████▀▀███▀ █
█  █████    ▄▄▄▄▄  █  ▀  █    ███  █  ██
█▄    ▀█  ██       █  ▄███  ██████   ███
█████  █  ██  ███  █  ████  ████  ▄  ███
█▄    ▄█▄  ▄█▄     ▀  ████▄  ▄█   ██  ██
████████████████████████████████████████

Whitepaper
 Medium
Reddit
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 08:04:35 PM

Sounds painful.

At least it didn't end like the bear trap scene from the Walking Dead video game.  
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 08:05:40 PM

Two years from now, we're all early adopters and we're laughing at the difference between buying BTC at 20 and at 40  Grin
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 08:07:45 PM

You are not the only one that has been fooled by this market...
lebing
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

Enabling the maximal migration

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 08:08:56 PM

Congrats on your wisdom. Everyone has to learn the hard way it seems (myself included... I lost at least 10% of my coins in 2012). Now I just look at the fundamentals and these days - hold.

Bro, do you even blockchain?
-E Voorhees
niko (OP)

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 08:10:52 PM

Thank you all for the kind words. Really, this was the bitterest way of wising up, according to Confucius:
Quote from: Confucius
By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.

Luno

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 08:11:07 PM

We have all been through that experience.

The only solution is to stick to your strategy. Daytrading in a rocket is impossible, so go long on a percentage of your holdings, Less than 50% I would imagine, and pinch your eyes.

You can't feel a dump before it happens, such a trick belongs to inside traders.

I have bought back higher a mutitude of times, no sweat, I still make money.

Rest assured that you both have cash and BTC to catch the unexpected.

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 08:16:02 PM

At least your losses aren't devastating. Look at how many times new users buy at say $10, then when the price drops a dollar they panic and liquidate. Next morning they wake up to $12 bitcoins. My favorite was the guy who did this and came here threating to "sue bitcoin" over his losses. classic.   

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 08:19:34 PM

A good decision...

EDIT: I've been thinking about doing this before. The only thing that keeps me from abstaining from trading is my fucking greed! It's this hope that I could acquire even more coins. It never works out, though and I would've made much more money just working and putting the resulting fiat into bitcoin (or working directly for bitcoin). Thanks for giving me a kick. Maybe I can do it now.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
samson
Legendary

Activity: 2097
Merit: 1070

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 08:32:44 PM

I have the opinion that BTC will rise well into the 30's and in the long term beyond that. I have no doubt there will be 10% fluctuations in both directions along the way with mini corrections.

Each time it dips a couple of dollars I've purchased a bunch. When it rises a few more I've been selling and waiting for the a 'bear trap' to buy them back.

I'm only using small amounts of money though. I purchased 90 BTC a couple of hours ago at $28.61250 which was just before it started rising again.

I'm only playing around but it's kind of fun and I'm making a few BTC in the process.
ajk
Donator

Activity: 447

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 08:35:49 PM

You want to be an efficient trader? here is the best advice that I have taken from trading throughout my time as one

1) When in doubt Just sit out

This is the greatest trading advice Ive ever received, if you have no clear vision of what the market is going do not make a trade, Accept your decision that you didnt want to partake in the market and make a trade when you have more information

2) During rallies or uptrending markets Buy during the downsings, During Downtrending or bear market sell during the rallies, during stable times find another financial vehicle to trade.

prime examples of this would be the last significant sell offs we've seen, since we are uptrending these should be sought as buying opportunities,

Day trading is seriously the biggest headache, Good day traders should except to be right about 50-60% of the time, this alone turned me off to day trading when i first started in markets (not to mention that I was wrong alot). but I think that TA used along side with Fundamental analysis gives you better insight than those who advocate only one,

No one in the world is the same, Those who are good at day trading are tailored to this type of trading, there is no 1 winning trading strategies and more times than not its just being at the right place at the right time,

instead of following the FUD around speculation step back and take a real look at what bitcoin is, its a Digital Financial Asset that many are starting to accept as a form of currency,

I dont know about what everyone else thinks but this world is moving to the digital age, it makes some sense at least in my mind that bitcoin could be the next best thing since sliced bread (who knows though I could be totally wrong I dont care though I believed in bitcoin a year ago and it has progressed so far now the sky is the limit)

Unless you like to day trade, I would recommend trying different things til you find what works for you
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 08:39:52 PM

At least your losses aren't devastating. Look at how many times new users buy at say $10, then when the price drops a dollar they panic and liquidate. Next morning they wake up to $12 bitcoins. My favorite was the guy who did this and came here threating to "sue bitcoin" over his losses. classic.   

Care to provide a link? Not that I don't believe you, but would love to read that.

As for the OP

Signature space available for rent.
evolve

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 09:10:51 PM

Stop trading emotionally.

I've said it a million times...Go into your trades with a plan. Have a clear entry and exit point on both the top end (profit taking) and bottom end (which needs to be low enough to account for daily volatility, but high enough to preserve profits).  Stick to the plan and don't buy or sell on emotion.  Most of all, if you cant tolerate risk, stay out of the market.

Despite common belief, it really isn't that hard to make money trading in this market.

SaintFlow

Activity: 476

The first is by definition not flawed.

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 09:14:09 PM

daytrading is for daytraders
swingtrading takes longer windows of action into account.

account for your trading style by expierence.

don't let me make you question your assumptions
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 09:27:27 PM

and I focus less on charts and more on preparing for the newborn, which is due in a few weeks.

Ah, I was in that boat a year ago. Is it your first? If so, you won't even *think* about bitcoin for weeks...(and that's a good thing).

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
niko (OP)

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 10:03:48 PM

and I focus less on charts and more on preparing for the newborn, which is due in a few weeks.

Ah, I was in that boat a year ago. Is it your first? If so, you won't even *think* about bitcoin for weeks...(and that's a good thing).

Yep, it's the first one, and your description is pretty much what I'm expecting. No speculation there Cheesy

phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1020

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 10:13:15 PM

Yours truly,

niko 

Wisdom!

Good luck with your newborn!
+1! Smiley
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 10:17:07 PM

Getting margined out on bitcoinica was my lesson. I had the general trend correct but the trixy market makers ran a squeeze on me and my ilk, and took of with my coins.

crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
February 19, 2013, 11:24:43 PM

It takes a real man to admit it.

more or less retired.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: