Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 04:52:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for peer review of small informational BTC site  (Read 680 times)
pbtc (OP)

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 07:39:56 AM
Last edit: February 20, 2013, 08:13:21 AM by pbtc

Hi All,

I've made a few physical bitcoins which I'm donating to my children's private school. They hold an auction every year, and they were looking for a few low-cost items. I thought physical bitcoins might be a fun contribution. Maybe they will make a little money off them.

Anyway, I put together a small informational web site to address the most basic what, why, and how of physical bitcoins. I'm not sure how many families at my kids' school will look at it, but I imagine a few will have heard of bitcoins and think it might be an interesting thing to pursue.

I am asking for your help to proof-read the web site for typos or clarity. I have edited it a few times, but it is always good to have another set of fresh eyes.

I welcome your feedback.

All the best,

pbtc.

EDIT: Here's the link: https://sites.google.com/site/physicalbitcoin/

koin
Legendary

Activity: 873
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 07:51:56 AM

I am asking for your help to proof-read the web site for typos or clarity.

link?
greyhawk

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 09:24:30 AM

Get rid of that intro screen. Intro screens died in 1998 and for a reason too.

I don't go to your site to look at a confusing collage of picture excerpts. I go to your site to get information on a topic. If I instead look at a confusing collage of picture excerpts and am forced to search around the site to find the links to the actual information I'm gone sooner than you can say "But... but wait... it's right he-... hello?"
pbtc (OP)

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 03:34:32 PM

-- thank you for the excellent feedback.
Anormalname

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 03:55:51 PM

How old are the kids? Also the sites really dark, which honestly makes it boring and is making me lose interest fast.
pbtc (OP)

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 12:43:52 AM

-- I don't expect kids from the school to be looking at the website, just the parents. The school is pre K-8. Maybe some of the older kids will get interested, but its probably better they weren't poking around the bitcoin universe anyway.

-- You're right about color. Maybe I'll fiddle with it. I'm mostly concerned with content being intelligible.
pbtc (OP)

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 05:17:37 AM

bump.

Auction is this Saturday. I'll post the prices I fetch.

-pbtc
Atruk

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 05:44:52 AM

Are you offering some of the big C's physical bitcoins?

TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2013, 10:31:05 AM

https://sites.google.com/site/physicalbitcoin/how

http://blockexplorer.com/ should be blockchain.info because the latter has better uptime.
There are several iPhone App’s - drop apostrophe and cap, 'apps' is not possessive or proper/trademark, also don't leave out Android apps.
QR-code - no hyphen, find-replace all
Mt. Gox - no space after the dot, find-replace all
Just Google, “bitcoin iPhone,” to learn more. - remove commas
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/natty/man1/zbarimg.1.html - may be a little too advanced; Linux, plus you have the step of transferring a pic to a computer, and some people might not have any camera, phone, digital, or webcam. Are you sure it's a readable QR code under the seal? Super tiny ones often won't scan. More thought needed on this.
to reap the bitcoins - to sweep the bitcoins
which makes the bitcoins remaining in circulation more valuable - needs period at the end.
"beta-software" - beta? might be debatable, but it could either lose the hyphen, or be replaced with "in beta"
the exchange rate of bitcoins has been rising - better to put that in absolute terms, such as "the Mt.Gox USD exchange rate of bitcoins recently reached an all-time high of $34.51, exceeding the previous all-time high set in 2011, of $31.91." or something to that effect, since there might be a sudden drop at any time.

Gotta sleep soon, so I'll see if I can work on the other pages "tomorrow".

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
pbtc (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 06:57:57 AM
Last edit: March 02, 2013, 07:36:09 AM by pbtc

-- thanks so much for the thorough proofing. I took all of your suggestions and slightly re-worded. I'd appreciate the input on the other pages if you have time. Sending small tip to  1Aywhs1r9YXMLn6WvDhoFctVnFR9fHzVcd shortly.

Re: size of QR Code
Yes, the QR code under the tamper-evident seal does scan properly. I tested it on an iPhone.

Re: Are these big C's?
No, these are not Casascius'. These are my own home-spun paper bills.

-pbtc

pbtc (OP)

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 04:16:55 AM

Hilarious. I had several conversations with people interested in the bitcoin thingies who had tuned into the Wikipedia article for information.

But zero bids! [I bought them back @ the declared value of 30USD/BTC.]

I also gave a couple of physical bitcoins to my parents as gifts. They're in their 60's, reasonably technically literate, and they had read a couple of articles about bitcoins in the msm. Mixed results -- my mom seems to think you can just print the money, and she doesn't seem to understand at all. My step-dad is interested, but it is a little more work than he is interested in. Haven't heard from my dad yet. He's a programmer and probably the most financially literate, but it wouldn't surprise me if he just blows it off as a bunch of crap.

All the best, and thanks to you who gave me feedback.

-Ed
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: