Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:18:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Please upgrade to Bitcoin 0.8 and help Android/MultiBit users!  (Read 8828 times)
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 01:23:56 AM

And yes, if it is throwing away data that does not affect the own address and it just generated the first own address, it should be instantly ready.

It is for me, so if you see something different let me know and we can investigate.

Well, I just installed it and it ran into several ANR and out of battery and did not catch up the block chain in hours … ok, so it might get the balance straight from the start but still would have to check if the chain is a chain leading back to the genesis block, right?

Oh, funny. With the ANRs I had I put it to a charger and it ran out of battery despite the fact it was connected and switched off. Now when I click on the bitcoin wallet button I get a toast saying App isn't installed.

yes.  i have a Samsung galaxy s3 and it sucked my battery down fast.  not sure i can deal with that.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ThiagoCMC
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

฿itcoin: Currency of Resistance!

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 01:56:53 AM

Ubuntu is great! Just update/upgrade my system and Bitcoin 0.8 is up and running!
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 07:19:06 AM

Ubuntu is great! Just update/upgrade my system and Bitcoin 0.8 is up and running!

Arch linux is great.  I had bitcoin 0.8 five days ago Tongue.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Mike Hearn (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 09:13:20 AM

Well, I just installed it and it ran into several ANR and out of battery and did not catch up the block chain in hours … ok, so it might get the balance straight from the start but still would have to check if the chain is a chain leading back to the genesis block, right?

It does at the moment but that's what we're going to fix next.

That experience was pretty disastrous. Did you report the ANRs with the crash reporter?

Oh, funny. With the ANRs I had I put it to a charger and it ran out of battery despite the fact it was connected and switched off. Now when I click on the bitcoin wallet button I get a toast saying App isn't installed.

The app isn't there at all? I don't know how that can happen unless you uninstalled it. What phone/version of Android is this?
ThiagoCMC
Legendary

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 10:45:56 AM

Arch linux is great.  I had bitcoin 0.8 five days ago Tongue.

Sure it is!   Wink
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 11:29:02 AM

You using the ppa?
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2013, 12:23:38 PM

It does at the moment but that's what we're going to fix next.

That experience was pretty disastrous. Did you report the ANRs with the crash reporter?
I reported it twice I guess. At least once.

The app isn't there at all? I don't know how that can happen unless you uninstalled it. What phone/version of Android is this?
Well, I'm an Android dev, too, so yeah, I'm pretty surprised as well to say the least. If I uninstall an app, the app icon disappears from the launcher but that did not happen. The market told me it was uninstalled and when I clicked the launcher icon, it toasted the same. After istalling it again it was back with all the ANRs.

I have a Defy that had Android 2.1 installed so I (ok, it was my brothers that almost bricked and finally did it after 10h) upgraded it to 4.1 AOKP.

Also the blockchain is still 6 months behind despite the phone having been at the charger for hours.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
Mike Hearn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 12:42:11 PM

It seems that there are some serious issues catching up with the chain that didn't used to exist. I was able to reproduce some problems where getheaders wasn't working well. I'll be working on an improvement to block chain handling this week so it's faster and uses less disk space.
ThiagoCMC
Legendary

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 03:24:09 PM

You using the ppa?

Yes.
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 12:07:14 AM

I love how someone made a forum ad to advertise 0.8 Cheesy

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 11:12:32 PM

You using the ppa?

Yes.

oh man, finally!  just got it downloaded and running.  very fast reindexing!

best of all, i can now see the wallet menus in Unity 12.04!  i can't tell you how much a pain that was not to be able to see it.
giszmo
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2013, 08:29:19 PM
Last edit: March 01, 2013, 08:44:06 PM by giszmo

Well, I'm an Android dev, too, so yeah, I'm pretty surprised as well to say the least. If I uninstall an app, the app icon disappears from the launcher but that did not happen. The market told me it was uninstalled and when I clicked the launcher icon, it toasted the same. After istalling it again it was back with all the ANRs.

I have a Defy that had Android 2.1 installed so I (ok, it was my brothers that almost bricked and finally did it after 10h) upgraded it to 4.1 AOKP.

Also the blockchain is still 6 months behind despite the phone having been at the charger for hours.

Uhm, now I'm really slightly pissed. It disappeared again. I have no clue how it does so.
Code:
$ adb shell
# cd data/data/de.schildbach.wallet/files/
# cat key-backup-base58
# KEEP YOUR PRIVATE KEYS SAFE! Anyone who can read this can spend your Bitcoins.
ToPsEcReTToPsEcReTToPsEcReTToPsEcReT 2013-02-24T15:06:10Z
… slightly relieved but still … will try to get my 0.2Ƀ to a working wallet and wait for the schildbach wallet to mature some more.
Unfortunately Spinner just today told me its server was not responding neither. This is not good Sad

Edit: Successfully imported the key to my desktop wallet.

WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
Mike Hearn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 09:37:13 PM

An adb log from around the time it vanished might help us figure that out.

BTW we have an experimental version that does the initial sync much faster. It still needs some more work, but once it's done would you be willing to test it again?
giszmo
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2013, 12:55:26 AM

An adb log from around the time it vanished might help us figure that out.

BTW we have an experimental version that does the initial sync much faster. It still needs some more work, but once it's done would you be willing to test it again?

logcat. Good point. Check this out:
Code:
I/ActivityManager( 2492): START {act=android.intent.action.MAIN cat=[android.intent.category.LAUNCHER] flg=0x10200000 pkg=de.schildbach.wallet cmp=de.schildbach.wallet/.WalletActivity bnds=[192,467][288,610] u=0} from pid 2726
E/Nova.Launcher( 2726): Unable to launch. tag=ShortcutInfo(title=Bitcoin intent=Intent { act=android.intent.action.MAIN cat=[android.intent.category.LAUNCHER] flg=0x10200000 pkg=de.schildbach.wallet cmp=de.schildbach.wallet/.WalletActivity bnds=[192,467][288,610] }id=91 type=1 container=-100 screen=4 cellX=2 cellY=3 spanX=1 spanY=1 dropPos=null modelGeneration=2) intent=Intent { act=android.intent.action.MAIN cat=[android.intent.category.LAUNCHER] flg=0x10200000 pkg=de.schildbach.wallet cmp=de.schildbach.wallet/.WalletActivity bnds=[192,467][288,610] }
E/Nova.Launcher( 2726): android.content.ActivityNotFoundException: Unable to find explicit activity class {de.schildbach.wallet/de.schildbach.wallet.WalletActivity}; have you declared this activity in your AndroidManifest.xml?

I would guess I should not be the only one to have this problem. I have no clue how this ever can have worked but it tries to start de.schildbach.wallet.WalletActivity which according to this repository should be de.schildbach.wallet.ui.WalletActivity.
Hmm… on the other hand the Manifest defines an activity-alias … never used that.

It is not a nova launcher issue neither as the play market also states it is not installed.

When it happens again, I will check if the apk is here or not. The data was here. I pressed reboot and while it was shutting down I noticed it mentioned no bitcoins received yet although it showed me 0.2BTC, so it must have been reusing the old data.
After the reboot the transaction history was correct with the correct label as given before the install.

Ok I just uninstalled and installed again and that wiped the data as expected from a normal uninstall.

ɃɃ
Mike Hearn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 05:27:40 PM

That message just means it tried to start it and it was gone. I was hoping for a log around the time that it vanished.

Could you check the application manager if it happens again and see if it's in the list of installed apps? I wonder if it is somehow becoming disabled or unregistered with the activity manager but is actually still installed.
Dice

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 06:50:52 PM

Done! Smiley

I can see faster speeds. I am on a laptop (relatively old). I get 1 block every 2 seconds which isn't too bad, faster then before thats for sure.

Thank you bitcoin devs!

EDIT: i noticed some people said they could see how many nodes were running on 0.8 is there a website that provides this data?

jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2013, 07:29:14 PM

Done! Smiley

I can see faster speeds. I am on a laptop (relatively old). I get 1 block every 2 seconds which isn't too bad, faster then before thats for sure.

Thank you bitcoin devs!

EDIT: i noticed some people said they could see how many nodes were running on 0.8 is there a website that provides this data?

http://luke.dashjr.org/programs/bitcoin/files/charts/branches.html

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 08:22:23 PM

I ran 0.3.x until the release of 0.8.x now, there were no real new features I needed and if really somebody would do a DoS attack on older clients I could have upgraded anyways. Since there's a bunch of security advisories now released (+ fixed) and as I wanted to try out the QT interface, I upgraded.

Maybe the remaining 0.3.x clients are on web servers or not really maintained by their owners ("Oh this Bitcoin stuff sounds iteresting, let's install it, get a few coins from the faucet and play a bit..." - 1 year later: "What's this 10 GB 'block chain file' here?!"), or even more lazy/conservative with upgrades than I am.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
Mike Hearn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 06:00:48 PM

Actually running old versions can cause problems even if you don't think you need any of the new features. Old versions just generally cause problems for the network. It's best to stay up to date if you can.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: