Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 08:15:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ubuntu LiveCD (offline wallet) + Win7 (online wallet) = no problem?  (Read 3066 times)
Rockefoten (OP)

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 12:30:10 PM

Title says it all maybe, but to elaborate (and very sorry if this has been answered, couldn't find it explicitly mentioned anywhere).

I want to setup Armory as follows:
1. Offline wallet on Ubuntu LiveCD (USB-stick).
2. Online wallet on my Windows 7 installation.

I will switch between offline and online wallet using the same PC.

Will the wallet created from the Ubuntu LiveCD-environment work effortlessly with my Armory Windows installation?
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 12:44:13 PM

Title says it all maybe, but to elaborate (and very sorry if this has been answered, couldn't find it explicitly mentioned anywhere).

I want to setup Armory as follows:
1. Offline wallet on Ubuntu LiveCD (USB-stick).
2. Online wallet on my Windows 7 installation.

I will switch between offline and online wallet using the same PC.

Will the wallet created from the Ubuntu LiveCD-environment work effortlessly with my Armory Windows installation?

I have the same setup, but with MacOSX as an online environment instead of Windows 7. It works effortlessly and smooth.

Rockefoten (OP)

View Profile
February 20, 2013, 01:44:14 PM

I have the same setup, but with MacOSX as an online environment instead of Windows 7. It works effortlessly and smooth.

Great, thanks for the quick reply!
Wish me luck, I'm not really familiar with Linux, so my guess is just installing Armory on the LiveCD will be quite the challenge.  Cheesy
13Charlie

Activity: 218

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 04:17:09 PM

Wish me luck, I'm not really familiar with Linux, so my guess is just installing Armory on the LiveCD will be quite the challenge.  Cheesy

The process shouldn't be too bad. You just need the correct dependency's for Armory. There is an Armory package that includes these for a Ubuntu 10.04 install on the Armory site under "Get Armory"
This is what I used for my offline machine. Not a LiveCD system but it's Linux none the less.

Not sure if you'll need it, but I'm working on a Tutorial for my friends and family.
Note that most of them are not as computer literate as the rest of us, so don't be offended if it's spelled out too clearly for your taste.

No signature necessary
Rockefoten (OP)

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 10:33:29 PM

The process shouldn't be too bad. You just need the correct dependency's for Armory. There is an Armory package that includes these for a Ubuntu 10.04 install on the Armory site under "Get Armory"
This is what I used for my offline machine. Not a LiveCD system but it's Linux none the less.

Not sure if you'll need it, but I'm working on a Tutorial for my friends and family.
Note that most of them are not as computer literate as the rest of us, so don't be offended if it's spelled out too clearly for your taste.

Thanks, actually installing "Armory offline" went well, but my printer is a Canon mp990 and when I tried to print a paper backup plus the private keys I discovered that Canon don't really support Linux drivers. Tried Turboprint, but when trying to install that I bumped into a "missing dependencies" error...ironic huh.  Roll Eyes
So after all tha hassle (getting the LiveUSB to work was also a real hassle) I couldn't be bothered anymore, So now I guess I'll just buy a cheap, refurbished laptop with win7...
etotheipi
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2013, 02:55:59 AM

Thanks, actually installing "Armory offline" went well, but my printer is a Canon mp990 and when I tried to print a paper backup plus the private keys I discovered that Canon don't really support Linux drivers. Tried Turboprint, but when trying to install that I bumped into a "missing dependencies" error...ironic huh.  Roll Eyes
So after all tha hassle (getting the LiveUSB to work was also a real hassle) I couldn't be bothered anymore, So now I guess I'll just buy a cheap, refurbished laptop with win7...

You can just manually copy the code from the paper backup.  It's a nice convenience to be able to print it, but not strictly necessary.  Just copy the four lines by hand and store it in a safe place.

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
13Charlie

Activity: 218

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 02:01:17 PM

Yeah, that reminds me of what I ended up going through trying to print a paper backup. Using the older OS (Ubuntu 10.04) without a network connection.
Ubuntu had some print drivers pre-installed, but not any drivers for newer printers (like the ones we have here at the office).
I was able to find printer drivers for Linux, but those drivers had dependencies, and those dependencies had dependencies, and those . . . .
I thought about getting an old ass printer off of Ebay for $30 and hope it had enough ink to print 2 pages.
But I got lucky when I found a printer at home that was old enough to get the job done.  Grin

No signature necessary
truckingeek

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 05:33:59 AM

Probably cheaper and easier to get a $30 HP inkjet printer from Wal-Mart or some such place.  HPs are really well supported under Ubuntu, pretty much just plug it in and print.
etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2013, 05:36:54 AM

In such cases, it's probably best to just write the data down by hand.  Pen and paper is fine.

Only the four lines of text are important.  The QR code is just there for convenience (it contains those four lines).   Arguably, many people feel safer doing this, anyway, to limit the number of devices that have seen your unencrypted root key.

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
ErebusBat

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 03:31:55 PM

In such cases, it's probably best to just write the data down by hand.  Pen and paper is fine.

Only the four lines of text are important.  The QR code is just there for convenience (it contains those four lines).   Arguably, many people feel safer doing this, anyway, to limit the number of devices that have seen your unencrypted root key.
If someone has hijacked my printer I have more pressing problems methinks.

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2013, 03:59:27 PM

For a lot of people: "if someone has hijacked my printer I am totally freakin' screwed".  A lot of people are holding extraordinary amounts of money offline, and with the recent rise in price of BTC, their lives have changed, and will change for the worst if that happens.  Don't want to be another "allinvain"

ErebusBat

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 04:07:08 PM

For a lot of people: "if someone has hijacked my printer I am totally freakin' screwed".  A lot of people are holding extraordinary amounts of money offline, and with the recent rise in price of BTC, their lives have changed, and will change for the worst if that happens.  Don't want to be another "allinvain"
I understand that, i was more making a comment on how likely that is to happen in the real world.  I am reminded of this comic:

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2013, 04:16:01 PM

I understand that, i was more making a comment on how likely that is to happen in the real world.  I am reminded of this comic:

Yeah I love that XKCD one.  Including the mouseover text "Actual ACTUAL reality: you'd be hard-pressed to find that wrench for $5" Smiley

The printer thing is actually in line with that comic, though :  they're not breaking your encryption, they're just compromising one of your devices and getting around the encryption.  It's scary how bad some companies are with security.

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 05:26:55 PM

Entry level printers are typically sold below cost because they gouge you for replacement ink.

For something as important as an offline wallet backup, it's worth it to buy a brand new one that's on sale, hook it up to your offline computer to print a few backups, then destroy the printer just to avoid that particular attack vector.
etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2013, 05:28:49 PM

Entry level printers are typically sold below cost because they gouge you for replacement ink.

For something as important as an offline wallet backup, it's worth it to buy a brand new one that's on sale, hook it up to your offline computer to print a few backups, then destroy the printer just to avoid that particular attack vector.

Or:

(1) Write it down by hand

Or:

(2) I will implement backups that print encrypted and flash on the screen "Write this code on your paper backup.  Your backup cannot be used without it!"

CBit

Activity: 14

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 05:43:16 PM

I am trying to do the same, to use Armory with Live USB Ubuntu, but I can't get Armory to install. I use Lucid Lynx and the offline bundle. When I unzip the bundle and double click "Install_All_Debs.sh" (or something like that) it opens a text document and I have no idea how to proceed from there. If I try to install the various files separately, with most of them it ends up saying "couldn't download all the required packages", which obviously shouldn't be the case with the bundle. In essence, the problem is that I can't get to click any "Run In Terminal" thing. I just get a text file with not much text.

What should I do?
etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2013, 05:51:50 PM

I am trying to do the same, to use Armory with Live USB Ubuntu, but I can't get Armory to install. I use Lucid Lynx and the offline bundle. When I unzip the bundle and double click "Install_All_Debs.sh" (or something like that) it opens a text document and I have no idea how to proceed from there. If I try to install the various files separately, with most of them it ends up saying "couldn't download all the required packages", which obviously shouldn't be the case with the bundle. In essence, the problem is that I can't get to click any "Run In Terminal" thing. I just get a text file with not much text.

What should I do?

You should double-click " Install_All_Debs.sh and say "Run in Terminal...".    Or maybe you right click and select that.  Either way, the problem is that Ubuntu doesn't know whether you want to examine the file code, or run it as a script.  You want to run it.

If instead, you go to the command line (Applications->Accessories->Terminal), you can "cd" to that directory, and then "sudo sh Install_All_Debs.sh".

Are you using the offline bundle from the website (0.87.2)?  Or the one that I posted recently on the main thread (0.87.95)?

CBit

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 06:11:29 PM

The one from website. And it's Deps not Debs, my bad.

I'd like to give the command line a chance, I'll go test it now. Probably don't know exactly what to write but I'll try to look for the directory. Never used Linux before nor have I needed to use command prompt much with Windows.
etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2013, 06:16:14 PM

The one from website. And it's Deps not Debs, my bad.

I'd like to give the command line a chance, I'll go test it now. Probably don't know exactly what to write but I'll try to look for the directory. Never used Linux before nor have I needed to use command prompt much with Windows.

Don't bother with the command-line until you try the "Run from Terminal" thing.  When you double-click the .sh file, doens't it pop up with a window like this? 

Click "run in terminal".  In fact, I think I will modify the next bundle so that the file is named "Install_Armory_DoubleClick_RunInTerminal.sh"

CBit

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 06:31:23 PM

It doesn't pop up like that at all. When I double-click the .sh file, the Ubuntu opens it as a text document that says:

#! /bin/bash

sudo dpkg -i*.deb

If I right-click the file, I get options like "open" but they also lead nowhere but to a text editor.

Had no success with command line, couldn't find the directory.

This is really weird because I'm using the exact same files as everyone else: I downloaded them straight from your site.
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: