Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:58:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Bitcoin blockchain data torrent  (Read 211094 times)
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 27, 2013, 11:11:40 AM

• Post a new torrent on a weekly basis (or some other viable interval) automaticly based on a bootstrap.dat maintained by a node running on the server.
    What do you think, will there be enough users of a service like this? Or will a solution like this thread in combination with a 6 month interval suffice?
    If you keep updating the file it will break people seeding it and so you'll never have a big distribution network.

Offer an RSS feed as well, so seeders would just need to clear old torrents from time to time... Roll Eyes[/list]

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
    https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
    Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
    Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
    e4xit

Activity: 302
    Merit: 250

View Profile
    August 01, 2013, 06:18:15 AM

So I am in the process of downloading the latest version of this torrent now, but still slightly confused as to how I use it...

I am using Bitcoin Qt 0.8.3 Beta, so it should support auto-import of this file, right?

Just a little unsure of where to put it, and if I need to delete the folders "blocks" and/or "Chainstate" and the files "db.log", "debug.log" or "peers.dat"?

I am on OSX so presume that it is going somewhere inside the /Users/will/Library/Application Support/ folder?

Thanks

Not your keys, not your coins.
    CoinJoin, always.
    dserrano5
    Legendary

Activity: 1974
    Merit: 1029

View Profile
    August 01, 2013, 06:57:44 AM

So I am in the process of downloading the latest version of this torrent now, but still slightly confused as to how I use it...

I am using Bitcoin Qt 0.8.3 Beta, so it should support auto-import of this file, right?

Just a little unsure of where to put it, and if I need to delete the folders "blocks" and/or "Chainstate" and the files "db.log", "debug.log" or "peers.dat"?

Put it anywhere, then run bitcoin with the "-loadblock=/path/to/file" parameter.
    e4xit

View Profile
    August 01, 2013, 08:48:48 AM

Ok thanks. Any idea on how to do that?  Roll Eyes

Edit: I am on OSX, I think I could do it on windows, but not particularly familiar with terminal and how to run apps from it with parameters in OSX

CoinJoin, always.
    jgarzik (OP)
    Legendary

Activity: 1596
    Merit: 1091

View Profile
    August 01, 2013, 02:10:54 PM

bootstrap.dat goes into the data directory.  The same directory as debug.log and peers.dat are located.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
    Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
    Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
    e4xit

View Profile
    August 01, 2013, 05:19:01 PM

Thanks for replying guys, although, the two bits of info were a little bit conflicting:

Put it anywhere, then run bitcoin with the "-loadblock=/path/to/file" parameter.

bootstrap.dat goes into the data directory.  The same directory as debug.log and peers.dat are located.

I think Jeff's is just the 'safe' way, or for if you are running an older version of Bitcoin-QT...

If anyone else gets stuck like me, what I did was:

OSX using Bitcoin-QT versions 0.7.1+

1) Open a terminal window
    2) Open a finder window.
    3) In the finder window, navigate to /Applications/ and the ctrl+click on 'Bitcoin-QT' and choose 'Show package contents'
    4) Navigate to /Contents/MacOS/ and then drag the file in there ('Bitcoin-QT') into the terminal window
    5) add a space into the terminal window, after the 'Bitcoin-QT' file, then type:

-loadblock=

So in the terminal window you will have something like this:

"Your-iMac:~ user$ /Applications/Bitcoin-Qt.app/Contents/MacOS/Bitcoin-Qt -loadblock="

Dont press anything else yet...

6) Next, with the finder window selected again, navigate to the location of your 'Bootstrap.dat' file
    7) Drag this file into the terminal window, so that it adds it onto the end of the command, which will look something like:

"Your-iMac:~ user$ /Applications/Bitcoin-Qt.app/Contents/MacOS/Bitcoin-Qt -loadblock=/path/to/file"

Hit enter to run.

Hope that this helps someone else Smiley

CoinJoin, always.
    jgarzik (OP)
    Legendary

View Profile
    August 01, 2013, 06:48:06 PM

Simply dropping bootstrap.dat into the folder is the safe, easy way.  After the import is complete, the file is renamed to ensure it is not re-imported over and over again.

-loadblock is fine too, but requires a bit of extra work on the part of the user.

e4xit

View Profile
    August 01, 2013, 10:16:19 PM

Will Bitcoin-QT versions 0.7.1+ recognise that the file is there automagically without having to run the binary with the parameter '-loadblock='?

Also, just out of interest, does Bitcoin-QT import the blocks from disk using just a single CPU core?

I am just wondering as I have an i7 (3.1 GHz) CPU, but activity monitor doesn't show more than 70% CPU (max is 800%)... If it is single core, is there any way to increase this?

Thanks

CoinJoin, always.
    snakee

Activity: 17
    Merit: 0

View Profile
    August 06, 2013, 07:00:24 PM

Hey Wink

Would someone be so nice and explain the following to a beginner ?  ----"-loadblock=/path/to/file"----

Everything till the = i understood and i guessed, that the "path" must be the path to the bootstrap.dat ?! after that im not sure what to insert at "to" if it isnt just a to that stays there and which file is ment at the end ?

It would be very nice if someone could help me out.

Thank you very much in advance
    jgarzik (OP)
    Legendary

View Profile
    August 07, 2013, 12:11:24 AM

Hey Wink

Would someone be so nice and explain the following to a beginner ?  ----"-loadblock=/path/to/file"----

Just drop bootstrap.dat into your bitcoin data directory, restart Bitcoin-Qt, and do not be confused by other, more complicated instructions.

snakee

Activity: 17

View Profile
    August 07, 2013, 11:42:30 AM

Well, thats a way i understand instantly Wink

downloaded the whole chain over night but next time ill know what to do, thx Wink

but maybe someone who is bored could explain whats ment above, i like to get more knowledge Wink im the kind of person that needs to know anything i didnt understood Wink

greetz from germany
    deepceleron
    Legendary

Activity: 1512
    Merit: 1028

View Profile WWW
    August 07, 2013, 03:27:26 PM

Well, thats a way i understand instantly Wink

downloaded the whole chain over night but next time ill know what to do, thx Wink

but maybe someone who is bored could explain whats ment above, i like to get more knowledge Wink im the kind of person that needs to know anything i didnt understood Wink

greetz from germany
    A little searching might get you the explanation (which links here), I'll post this linking there:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=51456.0
    jgarzik (OP)
    Legendary

View Profile
    August 30, 2013, 03:21:41 PM

Updated block chain torrent to height 250,000, coinciding with a recently commited checkpoint in the bitcoind source code.

Existing seeders, please update by simply swapping out the old torrent file for the new torrent file.  After restarting your torrent client, you should already have ~85% of the new bootstrap.dat.

New seeders:  We always need more seeders, in every country of the world, to help spread the block chain and speed downloads.  Ideally, we have a large swarm of seeders, that burst to downloads at maximum download speed, and then remain idle the rest of the time.

Read the OP for magnet link and torrent details.  Ask questions.

jgarzik (OP)
    Legendary

View Profile
    August 30, 2013, 05:42:54 PM
    Last edit: December 04, 2013, 02:58:42 PM by jgarzik

Forgot to mention...  the following python util, linearize.py, was checked into the bitcoin repo today:

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/tree/master/contrib/linearize

This tool may be used to recreate bootstrap.dat byte-for-byte identical with the bootstrap.dat in this torrent.

If you are running bitcoind locally, create bootstrap.dat locally, then start seeding the torrent immediately at 100%!

Ego

Activity: 19

View Profile
    September 01, 2013, 11:04:55 AM

Thanks for the D/L much quicker than going through QT
    jgarzik (OP)
    Legendary

View Profile
    September 09, 2013, 07:43:08 PM

Bump, due to renewed interest.

pedrog
    Legendary

Activity: 2786
    Merit: 1031

View Profile
    September 09, 2013, 08:26:44 PM

Bump, due to renewed interest.

You have my seed, sir!

acidu

Activity: 92
    Merit: 10

View Profile
    September 13, 2013, 10:24:10 AM

testing this thing now... will come back for detailes... hmm.. if all OK... count me in for seed
    BaalMcKloud

Activity: 910
    Merit: 10

View Profile
    September 17, 2013, 04:29:45 PM

100Mbit/s FR SeedBox added
    DeaDTerra
    Donator
    Legendary

Activity: 1064
    Merit: 1000

View Profile
    October 13, 2013, 09:10:17 PM

For some reason I can't get this to work.
    Can someone kind explain the steps I need to take from that I download the file to that I import the block into the wallet?
    So far it doesn't seem to recognize the file until I shut the wallet off and then I get an error message.
    //DeaDTerra
    Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
      Print  

Jump to: