Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:09:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Coinbase cancellation issues are NOT resolved.  (Read 4275 times)
M0nKeY (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 10:55:04 PM

I keep seeing the same thing over and over. People having orders canceled as the price rises while orders at a higher price go though. They complain publicly, their issue is fixed and they act as if everything is now fine.

It's not fine.

Someone please explain to me what kind of fraud detection algorithm stops nearly identical transactions from the same person. Their "fraud detection" looks a lot like fraud perpetration.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Walter Rothbard

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2013, 03:58:58 PM

Do you have an issue with coinbase?  Have you contacted coinbase about it?

twolifeinexile

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 05:20:39 AM

I got an cancel today Embarrassed and just emailed back ask for correcting the error, will update their response.
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 05:28:19 AM

For those interested, it took two business days (from Friday until Tuesday) for Coinbase to respond to a support ticket I created regarding a cancelled transaction.  They went back and cleared the transaction at the original price I was quoted and they credited the BTC to my account.  Then, they "whitelisted" me to avoid these complications with my account in the future.
twolifeinexile

Activity: 154

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 02:39:02 PM

Their algo also seems quite odd, since there isn't unsual with normal activitty of the same client who had many sucssesfful transactions is labeled high risk, (not withdraw funds).
I see at least three persons who have good history got axed once for no reason.
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 05:15:01 PM

I keep seeing the same thing over and over. People having orders canceled as the price rises while orders at a higher price go though. They complain publicly, their issue is fixed and they act as if everything is now fine.

It's not fine.

Someone please explain to me what kind of fraud detection algorithm stops nearly identical transactions from the same person. Their "fraud detection" looks a lot like fraud perpetration.

Just another shady ycombinator product. This is their MO. For instance their flagship airbnb thing pretty much consists of enticing ignorant people into breaking the law (yes, it's illegal to rent your rented place to third parties most anywhere in the civilized world) in order to make a few pennies. Basically the breakdown is, you partner with airbnb, stranger pays you fifty bux to mess up your place while you're away, airbnb collects twenty, you pay 2-5000 dollars in fines a coupla months later. Ycombinator business.

Just on the strength of the appallingly scammy record anything coming out of there should be regarded with extreme caution, but then coinbase/coinwhatever in particular is a pretend-company that took a little venture capital last year, pranced around Bitcoin making taakiesque claims and statements all the while failing to develop anything like a revenue stream or a product of any utility.

They will be running out of money later this year. Show some common sense and use one of the very numerous alternatives that actually work today rather than regret it tomorrow. Just a little PSA seeing how most everyone in the know seems to prefer not to talk about the scum and the noobish and naive get regularly fleeced.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
oblongmeteor

Activity: 134

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 02:49:18 PM

Probably a bit off topic but what exactly does Coinlab do? I read through the website and it seems full of the vagaries you'd expect from a nebulous corporate holding company website; "Provides liquidity" - Does this mean they buy and hold tonnes of Bitcoins and USD's to resell at 'wholesale' rates to their customers or that they are an investment group that provides capital backing to existing/new services or some other entirely different 'financial' service?

Apparently BitInstant and a few ventures I've near heard of use them (Ribbon? ZipBit?) but it's not clear for what exactly. They've also got endorsement from some of the 'big-cheeses' in Bitcoin, and investment from some of those with more colorful histories in Bitcoin ventures (Roger Ver: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=131574.0) - it all seems very cozy. I'm sure they are providing a useful service - it'd just be interesting to know what it actually is.

BitcoinTate

Activity: 224

DigiByte Founder

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 11:02:55 PM

I had my Coinbase order cancelled yesterday even though I have made transactions with them before:

"On Feb 23, 2013 you purchased 10.00 BTC via bank transfer for $286.69.

Unfortunately, we have decided to cancel this order because it appears to be high risk."

I bought in at the low last week of $28.20 (BTC Currently 34.85 lol). After sending multiple emails to support and tweeting them I received this email:

"Hi,

Sorry about that! After manually reviewing your account I've whitelisted it so you shouldn't experience any additional issues going forward. I've also pushed through the transaction that was canceled previously (at the original exchange rate you locked in), so you should have those coins by the end of tomorrow. In addition, we recently wrote a blog post about this you might find interesting: http://blog.coinbase.com/post/44046687068/high-risk-transactions

Hope it helps and sorry again for the trouble!"

- aka The "DigiMan"
MPOE-PR

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 08:31:00 AM

Probably a bit off topic but what exactly does Coinlab do? I read through the website and it seems full of the vagaries you'd expect from a nebulous corporate holding company website

Basically what they do they talk up a storm. Then eventually they say the wrong thing, get bitchslapped by the actual players, scamper away and wither in a dark corner somewhere. Sideshow entrepreneurship.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
BitcoinTate

DigiByte Founder

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 08:53:28 PM

I still have not received my BTC as promised. There is no evidence of a transaction in either my bank account or my Coinbase account.  I have sent a couple emails to support but I doubt they work weekends. Will post if they actually reverse the cancellation as promised. So this day #9 since my initial order. Glad BTC is still going up. lol!

- aka The "DigiMan"
mobile

Activity: 400

the sun is shining, but the ice is still slippery

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 09:39:52 PM

With a large portion of the community reporting that their orders had been cancelled, I went ahead and gave  coinbase a try. After waiting over 7 days for 1.0 BTC, I was fortunate enough to receive it. Hours later then the projected time but none the less I received my funds and immediately transferred it out of there!

1MoBi1eNbqh8QMuvtZjYzQGV8NEckJJYcT rep|GnuPG <3 CLAM <3
BitcoinTate

DigiByte Founder

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 09:43:09 PM

My first orders went through fine at 1 BTC.... it's when I jumped to 10 BTC that my order was canceled an hour before it was supposed to show up. Glad you received your BTC.

- aka The "DigiMan"
MPOE-PR

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 08:37:14 AM

My first orders went through fine at 1 BTC.... it's when I jumped to 10 BTC that my order was canceled an hour before it was supposed to show up. Glad you received your BTC.

Click the 1000000 button!

Severian

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 08:39:57 AM

Coinbase: a description
bitcoinroad

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 02:14:32 AM

Coinbase blows.
danieldaniel

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 02:25:54 AM

Quoted from the other thread on the topic.

Explain to me how this makes any sense when no funds ever leave the consumer's bank account at any point during the "pending" process.

Coinbase having a bunch of open orders backed by bank drafts is like a company walking around the Bitcoin market with cash. Not all of those orders are being filled, obviously.

If Coinbase customers want to help fund Coinbase for free while only getting bitcoins every now and then, it's their choice as the informed consumers that they are to be treated like that.
Well, I might as well point out the factual error here.  A bank draft is a type of check where the payment is guaranteed to be available by the issuing bank.

Therefore, this is not a "bank draft" but a pending ACH transfer.  A pending ACH transfer is not guaranteed by the issuing bank, as there is always a chance that there aren't enough funds in the account to cover the transfer.

EDIT: Source: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/b/bank_draft.asp#axzz2N0OwxWaU

Therefore, coinbase could never do anything with your funds.  They stand to gain nothing by faking that the orders are fraud.

Severian

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 02:38:16 AM

Therefore, coinbase could never do anything with your funds.  They stand to gain nothing by faking that the orders are fraud.

They're not faking. They have the orders and the cash to back it up. They use the collective clout to get coins on the market and then they divvy them up to themselves and their customers. Not all of their customers get coins. The smaller ones get their money back...someday.

Walter Rothbard

Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2013, 02:42:36 AM

They're not faking. They have the orders and the cash to back it up. They use the collective clout to get coins on the market and then they divvy them up to themselves and their customers. Not all of their customers get coins. The smaller ones get their money back...someday.

I am a smaller customer, and I've always gotten my bitcoin from coinbase.

Severian

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 02:46:42 AM

I am a smaller customer, and I've always gotten my bitcoin from coinbase.

That's good to hear. I don't hear the same story in many other places.
danieldaniel

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 05:34:51 PM

They can't get Bitcoins with money that they don't have.  They never actually withdraw the funds, so they didn't have any money to buy Bitcoins with!  ACH transfers are not the same as cash on the market.  Bank drafts are, ACH transfers aren't.

Also, if they're not faking the fraud detection, then wtf is this thread about?  ANY legit financial business is going to have fraud detection.  They're not scamming or cheating anyone!

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: