Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:41:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Craig Wright and Gavin Andresen - Summary of the Story  (Read 2590 times)
Bulista (OP)

Activity: 169
Merit: 23

View Profile
May 02, 2016, 08:55:10 PM

Craig Wright Blog Post:

http://www.drcraigwright.net/jean-paul-sartre-signing-significance/

Craig Wright Interview with BBC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZNtbAFnr-0

Gavin Andresen supporting Craig's claims:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNZyRMG2CjA

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
From Above

Activity: 700
Merit: 520

View Profile
May 02, 2016, 09:04:23 PM
Last edit: May 02, 2016, 10:06:09 PM by From Above

Summary, TL;DR: Crack White and Gavin Andresen r either on Crack or Insane or both.
Crack White is NOT Satoshi, he even stole his blog post,  failed to simply sign a message, his signature verification script has a fatal bug

~CfA~

NyeFe

Activity: 699
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 02, 2016, 09:05:33 PM

Summary, TL;DR: Crack White and Gavin Andresen r either on Crack or Insane or both.
Crack White is NOT Satoshi, he even stole his blog post and failed to simply sign a message.

Story is too intense, this is just nonsense

~CfA~

Well said.

MicroDApp.com—Smart Contract developers. Lets build a decentralized future!
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4461

View Profile
May 02, 2016, 09:06:32 PM
Last edit: May 02, 2016, 10:20:57 PM by franky1

the OP's post is not a summary. because it doesnt show the hoax part

take the link to craigs blog..
http://www.drcraigwright.net/jean-paul-sartre-signing-significance/

peel away the crap waffle till you get to:

note the signature that craig wright is using..
MEUCIQDBKn1Uly8m0UyzETObUSL4wYdBfd4ejvtoQfVcNCIK4AIgZmMsXNQWHvo6KDd2Tu6euEl13VT C3ihl6XUlhcU+fM4=

this is not a signature of a new message but something that is old.. ill get to that bit later

(skipping a stage)
then on the BBC news video interview with craig
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZNtbAFnr-0

he talks about signing a message using "the first transaction ever done in bitcoin"..(mentioned between 9seconds-15seconds in)
hint why choose this particular one out of all the previous 247 keys?? again ill get to that bit later

so the first bitcoin transaction by (real)Satoshi in 2009(block 248):
https://blockchain.info/tx/828ef3b079f9c23829c56fe86e85b4a69d9e06e5b54ea597eef5fb3ffef509fe?show_adv=true

Convert input script from hex:
3045022100c12a7d54972f26d14cb311339b5122f8c187417dde1e8efb6841f55c34220ae002206 6632c5cd4161efa3a2837764eee9eb84975dd54c2de2865e9752585c53e7cce

to base64
MEUCIQDBKn1Uly8m0UyzETObUSL4wYdBfd4ejvtoQfVcNCIK4AIgZmMsXNQWHvo6KDd2Tu6euEl13VT C3ihl6XUlhcU+fM4=

(thats it, you done pretty much the only thing that craig done (remember no private key was used with what u just done. nor SHA, nor ECDSA)

this is a 7 year old signature of the 7 year old transaction data encrypted using the private key for: 12cbQLTFMXRnSzktFkuoG3eHoMeFtpTu3S 7 years ago
emphasis: the data is the transaction data that is 7 years old(not a new personal message)!! and publicly available.. its nothing new!!

if he was to sign a message today! the signature, even when signed with the same private key would be completely different
emphasis: signing "my name is bob" would result in a different signature than "My Name Is Bob" even when both messages are signed with the same private key.

so if you see him display:

he is not signing anything new. he is just literally copying and pasting a 7 year old message(tx) that was signed 7years ago

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
DimensionZ

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Shit, did I leave the stove on?

View Profile
May 02, 2016, 09:14:39 PM

Gavin looks so enthusiastic when he is talking about Craig maybe he doesn't believe himself that Craig is a scammer but people are so gullible nowadays. At least Gavin admitted that only time will tell whether he is wrong or right so I think we need to lay our pitchforks for a while and wait for the story to unfold further.

From Above

Activity: 700
Merit: 520

View Profile
May 02, 2016, 09:27:12 PM

Gavin looks so enthusiastic when he is talking about Craig maybe he doesn't believe himself that Craig is a scammer but people are so gullible nowadays. At least Gavin admitted that only time will tell whether he is wrong or right so I think we need to lay our pitchforks for a while and wait for the story to unfold further.

only time will tell if gavin can recover from the consequences this has on his ego

im, actually, already in a mode of compassion

~CfA~

ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
May 02, 2016, 09:39:04 PM

You can see on his face and in the "evidence" he is giving that he is nothing but a liar. entrepreneur my ass, he's probably bankrupt and searching
for a quick way to get attention and money.
Sign message from S.N. address straight forward like everybody else or gtfo. I don't buy his story.
alyssa85
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1088

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
May 02, 2016, 09:48:42 PM

Wired have done an article:

https://www.wired.com/2016/05/craig-wright-privately-proved-hes-bitcoins-creator/

For those who can't get past the ad block, here is what it says:

How Craig Wright Privately ‘Proved’ He’s Bitcoin’s

When rumors surfaced early last month that Australian cryptographer Craig Wright would attempt to prove that he created Bitcoin, Gavin Andresen remained skeptical. As the chief scientist of the Bitcoin Foundation, his opinion counts: Andresen is among the earliest programmers for the cryptocurrency, and likely the one who has corresponded more than anyone with Satoshi Nakamoto, Bitcoin’s pseudonymous, long-lost inventor.

Today, Andresen fully believes that Wright is Nakamoto. Now he’ll have to convince the rest of the world, because he’s among the only people to have seen what he claims is the best evidence in Wright’s favor.

In an interview with WIRED on Monday following flurry of media reports stating that Wright now publicly claims he created Bitcoin, Andresen described in detail a private meeting he had with Wright in London. And he explains why he left that meeting convinced that Wright is the same Nakamoto who unveiled Bitcoin in 2009 and emailed extensively with him in 2010 and 2011. Andresen says his belief is unwavering, despite a bizarre and highly unconvincing blog post Wright published Monday offering the flimsiest evidence that he invented the cryptocurrency—evidence of a very different sort from what Andresen says Wright revealed to him.

“I’m still convinced he’s Satoshi despite the really weird proof he’s put in his blog post,” says Andresen. He stands by a statement he published on his website this morning: “I believe Craig Steven Wright is the person who invented Bitcoin.”

The Private ‘Proof’

As Andresen tells it, a firm representing Wright contacted him in March and invited him to London for a private, in-person demonstration designed to prove Wright created Bitcoin. Andresen understandably expressed reluctance. WIRED and Gizmodo had named Wright in December as a Satoshi Nakamoto candidate based on leaked emails, accounting documents and transcripts. But then gaps in Wright’s story appeared following those reports—including signs he had backdated evidence and misrepresented academic credentials—it seemed Wright was likely pulling an elaborate hoax or con.

But Wright followed up with a series of emails that piqued Andresen’s interest. “This is a person who knows an awful lot about Bitcoin and an awful lot about early Bitcoin stuff,” Andresen says. “The email conversations I had [with him] sounded like Satoshi to me. It sounded like I was talking to the same person I’d worked with way back when. That convinced me to get on an airplane.”

On the morning of April 7, Andresen took a red-eye to London and proceeded directly to a hotel in the Covent Garden district. He met Wright and two associates in a conference room there that afternoon and, Andresen says, Wright performed the cryptographic feat that erased his remaining doubts.

Cryptographers have suggested at least two ways the creator of Bitcoin could prove himself: Nakamoto could move some of the earliest Bitcoins, which are known to belong to him and have never been spent in their seven-year existence; or he could use the same cryptographic “private keys” that would allow those coins’ owner to spend them to instead “sign” a message—transforming the message’s data in a way that proves he or she possesses keys that only Nakamoto would have.

Wright, Andresen says, offered to perform the second test, signing a message of Andresen’s choosing with a key from the first “block” of 50 coins ever claimed by a Bitcoin miner, in this case Nakamoto himself. (He also performed a similar test for Jon Matonis, a former board member of the Bitcoin Foundation, and a reporter for the Economist, the magazine says, using both the first and ninth Bitcoin blocks.) Andresen says he demanded that the signature be checked on a completely new, clean computer. “I didn’t trust them not to monkey with the hardware,” says Andresen.

Andresen says an administrative assistant working with Wright left to buy a computer from a nearby store, and returned with what Andresen describes as a Windows laptop in a “factory-sealed” box. They installed the Bitcoin software Electrum on that machine. For their test, Andresen chose the message “Gavin’s favorite number is eleven.” Wright added his initials, “CSW,” and signed the message on his own computer. Then he put the signed message on a USB stick belonging to Andresen and they transferred it to the new laptop, where Andresen checked the signature.

At first, the Electrum software’s verification of the signature mysteriously failed. But then Andresen noticed that they’d accidentally left off Wright’s initials from the message they were testing, and checked again: The signature was valid.

“It’s certainly possible I was bamboozled,” Andresen says. “I could spin stories of how they hacked the hotel Wi-fi so that the insecure connection gave us a bad version of the software. But that just seems incredibly unlikely. It seems the simpler explanation is that this person is Satoshi.”

The Problem With the Public Proof

Under other circumstances, the Bitcoin community could almost be convinced by Andresen’s account, too. But in contrast to Andresen’s private demonstration, the evidence that Wright publicly offered to support his claim almost immediately collapsed. “The procedure that’s supposed to prove Dr. Wright is Satoshi is aggressively, almost-but-not-quite maliciously resistant to actual validation,” wrote security researcher Dan Kaminsky early Monday. After more analysis, Kaminsky updated that assessment: “OK, yes, this is intentional scammery.”

On a newly-created website, Wright published a blog post featuring what appeared to be a cryptographically signed statement from the writer Jean-Paul Sartre. It seemed intended to show, as in Andresen’s demonstration, that Wright possessed one of Nakamoto’s private keys. But in fact, Kaminsky and other coders discovered within hours that the signed message wasn’t even the Sartre text, but instead transaction data signed by Nakamoto in 2009 and easily accessed on the public Bitcoin blockchain. “Wright’s post is flimflam and hokum which stands up to a few minutes of cursory scrutiny,” wrote programmer Patrick McKenzie, who published an analysis of Wright’s message on Github. “[It] demonstrates a competent sysadmin’s level of familiarity with cryptographic tools, but ultimately demonstrates no non-public information about Satoshi.”

Even Kaminsky and McKenzie say they can’t explain the discrepancy between their analysis and Andresen’s story. “But for the endorsement of core developer Gavin Andresen, I would assume that Wright used amateur magician tactics to distract non-technical or non-expert staff of the BBC and the Economist during a stage-managed demonstration,” McKenzie writes. “I’m mystified as to how this got past Andresen.”

The Disconnect

Andresen, for his part, remains equally mystified by Wright’s highly dubious public evidence. The contradiction between the two accounts is so stark that at first some in the Bitcoin community believed that Andresen’s blog, where he’s vouched for Wright, must have been hacked. He says Wright and his staff wouldn’t let him leave the hotel meeting room with his own much stronger evidence, for fear that Andresen would leak it before Wright was ready to come forward. But Andresen says he can’t understand why Wright didn’t release that information publicly now. He hopes Wright still might.

Andresen’s only attempt at an explanation for Wright’s bizarre behavior, he says, is an ambivalence about definitively revealing himself after so many years in hiding. “I think the most likely explanation is that … he really doesn’t want to take on the mantle of being the inventor of Bitcoin,” says Andresen, who notes that his own credibility is at stake, too. “Maybe he wants things to be really weird and unclear, which would be bad for me.”

That uncertainty, Andresen says, seemed to be evident in Wright’s manner at the time of their demonstration. Andresen describes Wright as seeming “sad” and “overwhelmed” by the decision to come forward. “His voice was breaking. He was visibly emotional,” Andresen says. “He’s either a fantastic actor who knows an awful lot about cryptography, or it actually was emotionally hard for him to go through with this.”

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit InvestBox.|.BUY X10 AND EARN 10% DAILY.🏆
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
May 02, 2016, 09:52:33 PM

Gavin is much smarter than that, so he has either lost his fuckin' mind or he's now part of some nefarious activity. I see no other options except them two.
Ya-ing

Activity: 119
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 02, 2016, 09:54:03 PM

As I say, if he is really satoshi, and he is really interested in making it know that he is satoshi... he could do better

sktrdie

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2016, 09:55:10 PM

What's interesting to me is how blatantly wrong Wright's post is. It seems like he went out of his way to make it wrong (typos in the actual code). If he was a scammer wanting to prove something, wouldn't he go out of his way to make sure there were at least no typos?

So what is his motive other than completely fucking up his reputation?

One freaky, and completely unfounded, hypothesis is that Wright is Satoshi, and was pressured by government to have experts prove he was satoshi (for tax reasons), but is willingly playing stupid publicly and releasing a blatantly foolish post to keep his anonymity and let the world think he's not Satoshi.

Yes I know, I have a very creative mind Smiley
instacalm

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 02, 2016, 09:56:36 PM

One freaky, and completely unfounded, hypothesis is that Wright is Satoshi, and was pressured by government to have experts prove he was satoshi (for tax reasons), but is willingly playing stupid publicly and releasing a blatantly foolish post to keep his anonymity and let the world think he's not Satoshi.

Yes I know, I have a very creative mind Smiley

Very interesting theory!
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4615

View Profile
May 02, 2016, 10:01:11 PM

Gavin is much smarter than that

I agree.

Many have disagreed with Gavin over many decisions, but I've never seen any indication that he's "dumb", "unintelligent", or "lacks intellectual curiosity".  I'd certainly expect him to be careful about verifying a signature as well as being careful about what was being signed.  I doubt a scammer would be able to convince Gavin that an invalid signature was valid.

This leaves me with five possibilities:
  • Gavin has lost his ability to think properly
  • Gavin is part of a conspiracy
  • Craig Wright is a better scammer than I can comprehend
  • Craig Wright got a hold of some of Satoshi's private keys somehow
  • Craig Wright is Satoshi
TippingPoint
Legendary

Activity: 905
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 02, 2016, 10:06:51 PM

General Custer: Still trying to outsmart me, aren't you, mule-skinner? You want me to think that you don't want me to go down there, but the subtle truth is you really don't want me to go down there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWGAdzn5_KU
FinnCoin

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 02, 2016, 10:19:52 PM

One more possibility: Gavin knows who real Satoshi is and doesn't want to reveal his identity. Gavin saw Wright as a way to distract public to wrong path (but unfortunately it backfired, as the public "proof" was so clumsy).
--Encrypted--
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1007

hee-ho.

View Profile
May 02, 2016, 10:26:33 PM

One more possibility: Gavin knows who real Satoshi is and doesn't want to reveal his identity. Gavin saw Wright as a way to distract public to wrong path (but unfortunately it backfired, as the public "proof" was so clumsy).

IF gavin knows who satoshi is. then that would go to the first possibility because gavin could've kept quiet. instead he risks losing everyone's respect by backing a silly claim from a fake (again, IF).
Bulista (OP)

View Profile
May 02, 2016, 10:31:40 PM

-snip-

With all due respect to your legendary status, but I think Gavin knows more than you.

If he says he has proof, is because he has proof, Gavin is not stupid.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4461

View Profile
May 02, 2016, 10:43:36 PM

-snip-

With all due respect to your legendary status, but I think Gavin knows more than you.

no offense to your noob status.
but did you see the way gavin was smirking when saying he "thinks" its him. and how no one can be 100% sure

here i have even put in the relevant start time
https://youtu.be/pNZyRMG2CjA?t=1m48s

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
intec

Activity: 265
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 02, 2016, 10:45:57 PM

-snip-

but did you see the way gavin was smirking when saying he "thinks" its him. and how no one can be 100% sure

Agreed, also the changes of humor in the "interview", like he was trying hard to impersonate what the community gets from Satoshi.
Bulista (OP)

View Profile
May 02, 2016, 10:48:29 PM

-snip-

Still, Gavin seems to believe he really is Satoshi, he even said that he was also a skeptic before.

So surely he saw something that made him change his mind.

In any case everybody should see what he saw so we can put this case to rest.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: