Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:01:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Whats the 3 most constructive way to introduce someone to BTC ?
Give them some bitcoin (and then what?) - 15 (21.1%)
Show them how to save on purse.io - 7 (9.9%)
Show them how to buy or sell on openbazaar - 6 (8.5%)
Take them somewhere you can pay the bill in BTC - 9 (12.7%)
Show a business owner how they can accept BTC - 6 (8.5%)
Tell them how to get free satoshi from a faucet - 1 (1.4%)
Tell them who you think satoshi nakamoto is - 2 (2.8%)
Tell them whether you support core or classic - 1 (1.4%)
Tell them BTC will make them rich in the future - 6 (8.5%)
Explain how banks will not control their BTC - 10 (14.1%)
Explain the history of BTC and what halving is - 3 (4.2%)
Explain what mining is - 1 (1.4%)
Tell them they will earn money just holding BTC - 4 (5.6%)
Total Voters: 32

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you helping mass adoption ?  (Read 2891 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
mki8 (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 05, 2016, 04:20:52 AM
Last edit: May 24, 2016, 02:29:27 PM by mki8

For many that might not know, May22nd marks the day the first pizza's were bought with bitcoin, marking the first real world transaction.
the pizza's were bought for 10,000 BTC, more details can be found if you search. (sorry lazy i know)

I constantly read comments from others about how many btc you holding ? whats your magic number to cashout ?
which really annoys me as none of the people commenting are actually trying to help btc adoption,
what many do not realize is when btc is adopted by the masses, you will never want to cash out.

Now with May 22nd upon us, EDIT: now just passed.
i want to suggest somethings we can do,
and also ask what else we can do to help mass adoption,
Bitcoin needs a KUTA to help mass adoption
we should really mark a day where we all make a strong effort to make the masses aware of bitcoin,
and please note, the masses do not care about how things work or their history or future,
they care about the here and now, and what benefits them the most today,
so explaining stuff like faucets, or your price forecast, or anonymity, or who you think satoshi is, just does not interest the masses,
The poll above is just there for reference, as most people wont care to read all the comments
if anyone has good ideas to add, post them and i will add them
most items on the poll also assume you have already shown someone how to load coins to their wallet.

Really, we should be trying to do everything stated in the list below everyday.

Things we can do EVERYDAY to help mass adoption:

• Live purely off bitcoin, and not spend a penny of fiat, and let everyone know.
  • Ask every single outlet you visit, if they accept bitcoin, and sigh in disbelief if they don't.
  • Show every outlet you visit how they could easily accept bitcoin.
  • Fill your trolley with high end goods, and when cashier says BTC not accepted, just walk out.
  • Give bitcoin (well mbit or satoshi) to someone that has never had bitcoin.
  • show someone how to make a purchase from purse.io saving them 15% (actually buy an item)
  • turn up at a cafe and forget your cash, but then pay in bitcoin, showing owner how to accept.
  • Buy some online and something offline with bitcoin.
  • Buy something from openbazaar
  • Show someone how to buy from Openbazaar (buy an item)
  • Show someone how they can sell on openbazaar.
  • Open an openbazaar shop.
  • Load a peper wallet and give to someone, then show them how to use.
  • Show an adult entertainer how to accept BTC and then pay/tip them with BTC
  • Ask your local Pub/Bar if they will hold a 2 for 1 or promotional beer for bitcoin night.

Please comment on what you do or what we all could be doing to help mass adoption of btc.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mki8 (OP)

View Profile
May 05, 2016, 05:59:49 AM

If you click on give someone some bitcoins, in the poll,
Please state what you would then show that person what to do with their BTC

Its all good showing them how you can give them a few satoshi
but then what can they then do with them ?
tobacco123

Activity: 552
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 05, 2016, 06:03:57 AM

Maybe we can setup a "localpizza.com" to help people look for pizza shops that accept bitcoins...

mki8 (OP)

View Profile
May 05, 2016, 06:05:58 AM

Maybe we can setup a "localpizza.com" to help people look for pizza shops that accept bitcoins...
perfect idea, its more thinking like this is what we need,
you could take it a step further and just have bitcoin map app of every outlet that accepts bitcoin
probably someone on it already, if anyone knows such services please do share.

but more thinking like this whats needed
mki8 (OP)

View Profile
May 05, 2016, 06:12:02 AM
Last edit: May 08, 2016, 02:34:31 AM by mki8

just a quick search gave the following, which may be helpful to many

https://coinmap.org
http://bitcoinrestaurants.net/
http://spendbitcoins.com/places/
http://usebitcoins.info

Also Bitcoin ATM map

https://coinatmradar.com/

And

http://pizzaforcoins.com/
Rubberduckie
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 05, 2016, 06:41:26 AM

Show a business owner how they can accept BTC = what I said

if people did that bitcoin would grow through small business and
really take off.

dippididodaday

Activity: 441
Merit: 278

It's personal

View Profile
May 05, 2016, 06:45:13 AM

people do pizza take outs or eat ins all the time. if more pizza places can accept it it will spread like wildfire. we need to convince the pizza shop owners of bitcoin's beauty.
amiryaqot
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
May 05, 2016, 06:47:26 AM

Time to time i am telling to my friends about this innovation how it can change their life if they just now start make savings into bitcoin, some of them are really happy to be part of bitcoin as price is almost doubled at the moment when we make it compare with last year, on this day i would like to tell some other people how they can make secure their future with this.
Enotche

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 05, 2016, 07:02:53 AM

Yes, I tell friends about being traded on the stock exchange cryptocurrency. Constantly I am talking and bragging. And gradually their interest the this and they start to become interested. And then I start to talk about the whole system. I acquaint with faucets, exchange offices and the stock exchange.
BitcoinHodler

Activity: 1456
Merit: 578

HODLing is an art, not just a word...

View Profile
May 05, 2016, 07:07:13 AM

i think the best way of teaching anybody about anything (not only bitcoin) is walking them through it.
in case of bitcoin this can be done by giving them some amount, teaching them how to set up a wallet or even introduce them to coinbase so they can do all in one place and also buy/sell there.
then introduce services that accept bitcoin purse.io is one of the best to save up a lot of money in the long run.

Holding Bitcoin More Every Day
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 05, 2016, 07:11:18 AM

i'm trying to do the first point, which i think is the most important one for increase the adoption for bitcoin, buying only with bitcoin mean also less dumping, thus you help the market grow

but for now it's not feasible at 100%, at least for me, i'm trying my best to minimize the expenditure in fiat, for now only food is mandatory in fiat for me
Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 05, 2016, 07:15:10 AM

I have done and still do most of the things in the list to spread the word for Bitcoin.
And I will also try to buy a pizza with Bitcoin again, but not sure if I will find a service who will accept it.
If not I will do it like Laszlo did. Let someone else pay the pizza with cc or paypal and pay him back with Bitcoin. Smiley
mki8 (OP)

View Profile
May 05, 2016, 07:38:15 AM

Time to time i am telling to my friends about this innovation how it can change their life if they just now start make savings into bitcoin, some of them are really happy to be part of bitcoin as price is almost doubled at the moment when we make it compare with last year, on this day i would like to tell some other people how they can make secure their future with this.

mmmm.... your comments is what i usually discourage people from saying when explaining bitcoin,
what you are doing is not showing them how to use bitcoin, which in turn helps mass adoption, but instead you are showing people bitcoin as an investment, which does not help as investment means risk, and people do not want to risk money on something they know nothing about and cannot touch.

what would you say or show someone, after you have explained bitcoin as an investment, that asked you:
but what can i or others do with it ?
mki8 (OP)

View Profile
May 05, 2016, 07:44:23 AM

lets not forget peeps, Pizza day just marks the first real world transaction, which just happened to be pizza's

but anytime you are out it would always be good to ask if can pay in bitcoin, especially if two of you together,
then one can ask if a store accepts bitcoin, they say no, so you offer your friend to pay and you give him the bitcoin,
your friend accepts and pays in fiat, you both stand there in view of everyone, and then send the friend bitcoin for his fiat.
If done in front of business owners they will take note, it would also create conversation in that outlet among staff,
stuff like this we need to be doing daily, making a constant effort to put btc in public view.

I do hope everyone plans an all out BTC awareness day for the 22nd May.

I strongly feel most of the BTC community at present is very short sighted and really only concerned with their own future and not bitcoins future as a whole, which would in turn may make their future a lot brighter.

i'm trying to do the first point, which i think is the most important one for increase the adoption for bitcoin, buying only with bitcoin mean also less dumping, thus you help the market grow

but for now it's not feasible at 100%, at least for me, i'm trying my best to minimize the expenditure in fiat, for now only food is mandatory in fiat for me
More people like you are whats needed, ready to spend their btc instead of holding hoping for a return (in fiat) on their investment.

we do need to try to live purely on btc whenever possible.
When you say food, do you mean eating out or supermarket ?

we all need to let businesses (small and large) know there is a demand for businesses accepting bitcoin, and we should support any business that already accepts bitcoin, so other business' nearby can see the benefit of accepting btc.

Show a business owner how they can accept BTC = what I said
if people did that bitcoin would grow through small business and
really take off.
I strongly agree with you 100%, if you start showing small businesses the benefits, especially tax wise, this will help BTC a lot. Small businesses struggle as it is so they will accept every bit of help they can get. We should also strongly support any small business that accepts bitcoin.
Boosterious

Activity: 308

The mind is everything. What you think you become.

View Profile
May 05, 2016, 09:13:56 AM

i believe bitcoin mass adoption very depend on where bitcoin introduced,and in my country this 3 step might the best way to make bitcoin mass adopted.
- Give them some bitcoin (and then tell them how to create wallet and use that bitcon)
- Take them somewhere you can pay the bill in BTC
- Tell them they will earn money just holding BTC

Fraxinus
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
May 05, 2016, 09:31:36 AM

I'll for sure participate and help adoption,actually I'm trying to do this all the time,but this day on particular I'll be even more active.Let's hope we'll actually make an impact.Believe!

tiffyroman

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 05, 2016, 10:15:11 AM

I'm helping with the publicity of bitcoins actually. If I'm bored, I usually go on some chat sites and talk to strangers about bitcoins. It's a little saddening that nearly everyone that I've chatted with does not have any idea about bitcoins. Some have heard of it, some knows of it, but they don't still see the point or the potential of bitcoins.
Dekker3D

Activity: 434

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
May 05, 2016, 10:19:27 AM

I'm helping with the publicity of bitcoins actually. If I'm bored, I usually go on some chat sites and talk to strangers about bitcoins. It's a little saddening that nearly everyone that I've chatted with does not have any idea about bitcoins. Some have heard of it, some knows of it, but they don't still see the point or the potential of bitcoins.

You're not alone bro. Most even think that it's being for scamming purposes.

Doms

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 05, 2016, 10:25:00 AM

I'm a bit guilty of not making use of BTC for what it's supposed to be used for. I'm holding on to some (not even 1BTC), but I'm really planning on spending some, if there are more merchants who'll accept it as payment. I also try to open conversations about BTC to my friends while we're heading home from work. They don't seem too interested as I am, but atleast it's being part of our conversations.
Fraxinus
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
May 05, 2016, 10:26:27 AM

You're absolutely right,a lot of people just hear about bitcoin and not sustain any further interest or look for bitcoin and find some not so positive information and quit.It's our mission to continue spreading the positivity for bitcoin.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: