Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 03:20:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What you can do with a bitcoin if the USD exchange price dropped to 0  (Read 4045 times)
goldlyre

Activity: 1101
Merit: 512

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 08:44:26 AM
Last edit: February 25, 2013, 12:02:59 AM by goldlyre

I assure you that ...
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 10:08:41 AM

That's what I worried, bitcoin does not have any forms of such utility, if the exchange rate drops to 0

If I hold a currency that has been made essentially worthless due to hyperinflation like Germany's Papiermark in 1923, do I really care that it still has some value as a substitute as firewood?    Nearly the entire value is destroyed.  That my worthless currecy is still worth 0.01% of the value that I paid for it means in my mind it was a complete and total loss.  Not a 99.999% loss, but a 100% loss.  What difference is it to me at that point if it were to go from being worth $0.0001 to $0.0000 ?

But since a Bitcoin's worth was greater than zero back before they could be used to buy anything (like back when Laszlo had to nearly beg for someone to take 10,000 of his BTC and in exchange send him a couple of pizzas), I think it is safe to say that bitcoins will always have value above zero, as long as the expectations about the network remain  (i.e., that a 51% attack doesn't happen, and that sha256 and ecsda cryptography are not broken).

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

gopher

Activity: 135
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 12:26:07 PM

@DannyHamilton - the OP is about the use of Bitcoin if the USD exchange price dropped to 0, not about the probability of the USD price dropping to 0. Hence my hypotetical scenario describing what could happen if it dropped to 0

I think most of the posters went on a tangent here, hence IMHO the tread lost its potential to list uses for Bitcoin in this most (albeit highly unrealistic) extreme event

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2013, 12:31:50 PM
Last edit: February 24, 2013, 02:14:41 PM by markm

Okay, try a related category: what things / processes are useful yet are worth zero dollars?

Air? No, wait, cylinders of air cost more when full than empty, next...

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
gopher

Activity: 135

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 12:49:40 PM

sure, its a good analogy, it may invoke useful thoughts...

what about this one?

1. what if USD collapses to 0, because the rest of the world (miraculously) decide they head enough of this.

2. At the same time, BTC worth in other currencies sky-rockets.

3. Finally, after week-long deliberation, the US Senate declares that they could willnot be able to hadle this new cliffhanger and are ruling that they will adopt the BTC as a official USD legal tender with immediate effect.

4. Then overnight the BTC=(old)USD=1.32xEU.

5. All BTC users say bullshit, we will not allow US to adopt Bitcoin as their legal money, as such use will hugely devalue the Bitcoin.

I say "that's interesting", then reach for a fresh packet of popcorn and a new ice-cold coke-zero can from the fridge.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 02:10:55 PM

@DannyHamilton - the OP is about the use of Bitcoin if the USD exchange price dropped to 0, not about the probability of the USD price dropping to 0. Hence my hypotetical scenario describing what could happen if it dropped to 0
- snip -

Certainly, and my post pointed out three mistakes and incorrect assumptions in the OP and then went on to provide an additional example of "What you can do with bitcoin if the USD exchange price dropped to 0".
mobile4ever

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 02:15:07 PM

Anyway, as long as this community is here, it won't

If this community is what gives value to bitcoin, what happens if it fails? The time is getting short for a valid explanation to be brought to light on this. I think it needs to be an open source solution.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2013, 02:21:52 PM

Maybe a really simple algorithm such as always stand ready to buy back any bitcoins you sell, for no less than X% of what you sold them for. ?

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 04:07:19 PM

I assure you that Bitcoin's exchange rate against dollar shall never drop to zero because my fund of 210 bucks shall always be there to hold it. Even there emerged a bad guy in the future who does being able to create another lumpsum of 21 million fresh coins, I'll be very gladly to allocate another 210 bucks to buy them out. So under this calculation, bitcoin's price shall only drop to US$0.00001 at the most under the worst circumstance.    

Right.  At this point, Bitcoin, as the first successful implementation of a decentralized cryptocurrency, has nonzero collectible, historical, and sentimental value.  Personally if all 21 million were to be dumped on the market, I would bid against goldlyre to possess them all, and I'm sure so would several others.  There is definitely a nonzero floor to the price.

Specific coins or private keys (e.g. Genesis block, even if unspendable) might have even higher value as collectibles.  Who here wouldn't bid at least $1 in an auction for the keys to the first Bitcoins ever mined?
mobile4ever

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 06:23:56 PM

What can you do with your  fiat when the government calls a "bank holliday" and devalues your money to 0 ?

If you dont have a card and no checks that happens every Sunday in the Western World.

Cash still works.

Then the bank would not be required. Smiley
dave111223
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2013, 11:54:43 PM

When the dollar was worth zero, i'd probably exchange to euros instead Smiley
johnyj (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 03:21:35 AM

Anyway, as long as this community is here, it won't

If this community is what gives value to bitcoin, what happens if it fails? The time is getting short for a valid explanation to be brought to light on this. I think it needs to be an open source solution.

This community stands for the spiritual support that believe in the bitcoin's long term success

And this spiritual support will not disappear as long as there are people who do not believe in today's debt based monetary system/infinite growth and do not want their financial freedom to be controlled by FED

johnyj (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 03:34:07 AM

I foresee that in the coming years of hyperinflation (FED has produced 3x times of money in a very short time, they will pour out soon), there will be more merchants claim that "we only accept bitcoin"  Cheesy

Merralea

Activity: 126

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 03:35:14 AM

I don't know about the coin itself, but I imagine one could hang themselves with the cord to their mining rig...
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 07:03:00 AM

Do you really want a house that has a market price of 0 by the way? A 'house' is not always a house.

If it looks like and acts like a house, then it's a house.
mobile4ever

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 09:41:54 PM

I foresee that in the coming years of hyperinflation (FED has produced 3x times of money in a very short time, they will pour out soon), there will be more merchants claim that "we only accept bitcoin"  Cheesy

Do you see it happening before 2015?
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2013, 10:09:29 PM

"What is it good for if it is worth 0" is the same as saying "What is it good for when no one on Earth thinks it's good for anything or has any chance of being worth anything again".

You and/or your friends should instead spend time coming to grips with why people value it in order to see that they aren't all going to stop valuing it randomly at some point in the future.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
yocko06

Activity: 182

1Kgyk4nQSzb3Pm9E9vWiGVyJ6jpPwripKf

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 11:24:21 PM

If we could find some good use of bitcoin even when the exchange price is 0, then it will flourish for sure

Bitcoins can be sent in very small amounts. I could send a message using bitcoin transactions.

E would be the lowest, at one satoshi, and Z would be twenty-six (based on this https://i.imgur.com/H5yqeKX.png). Spaces and punctuation could be accounted for too, but would cost extra to communicate. I could send a message in this way by a series of transactions in very small denominations. You would pay a few thousand satoshi to have a method of communication that is completely anonymous.

If the two communicating nodes had an agreed upon cipher they could encode messages in the values sent, and nobody watching would know what was being said, or who was saying it.

I would put money into Bitcoins just to be able to do that.

I would pay someone to develop an easy to use anon msg service though bitcoin. this would help bitcoin grow by huge proportions. It would need to work on mobile devices though.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
February 25, 2013, 11:46:55 PM

Do you see it happening before 2015?
I could see online merchants switching away from credit card to Bitcoin only transactions starting in 2013. I can see Brick and Mortar start doing so in 2015. Apps will need improvement for online usage, then physical wallet devices will need to roll out before making Brick and Mortar purchases popular with Bitcoin.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Le Happy Merchant

Activity: 634

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 05:33:15 AM

I don't know of other instances of this, but here is a message sent through Bitcoin transactions.

yocko06 sent me the satoshi sequence 20,8,1,14,11,1,1,25,15,21

The alphabet goes A=1 -> Z=26
two 1s in a row is a space, AA=28

'THANK YOU' sent through Bitcoin transactions.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: