Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 05:06:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Expedia no longer accepts bitcoins [Correction: Bitcoin still an option]  (Read 5136 times)
AmDD
Legendary

Activity: 1027
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 01:32:00 PM

FWIW, I just paid with bitcoin within the past week to reserve a hotel room using Expedia. So this is news to me!?!

I also booked a hotel with Expedia, paying with Bitcoin within the last month.

BTC tip jar: 18EKpbrcXxbpzAZv3T58ccGcVis7W7JR9w
LTC tip jar: Lgp8ERykAgx6Q8NdMqpi5vnVoUMD2hYn2a
Ultrafinery

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 01:32:31 PM

The price of Bitcoin is important for his future...
Being able to buy everyday goods doesn't necessarily make bitcoin less valuable. And vice versa, does the fact that you're not able to buy coffee in exchange for gold make gold less valuable? The fact that a major service has dropped bitcoin support shouldn't be perceived as bad for bitcoin's value.

Of course not being able to buy coffee with gold makes it less valuable. Gold would be more valuable if spending it on everyday needs obviated the need for other currencies. This is basic, obvious stuff.

But, of course, no one tried to pitch gold as A Peer-to-Peer Electronic Cash System, so there's that too.
jak1

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 02:29:27 PM
Last edit: May 10, 2016, 02:43:50 PM by jak1

To be Honest i am not so sure that bitcoin will be used for this sort of purchase in the future anyway.  I see it being a reserve currency for all other cryptos, it what they will establish there worth upon.  we see it now if bitcoin goes up alts usually go down and visversa.....

Actually, it's usually the other way around. http://coinmarketcap.com/

Well that were a bad use of bitcoin as we all know that bitcoin hasnot a reverse option like paypal ,in this case the Expedia should return the bitcoins to the wallet.
The fact that you find it easier to spend fiat and we need more and more bitcoins shops that accept the bitcoins to be able to make it popular and uses among the masses.
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2016, 02:44:28 PM

To be Honest i am not so sure that bitcoin will be used for this sort of purchase in the future anyway.  I see it being a reserve currency for all other cryptos, it what they will establish there worth upon.  we see it now if bitcoin goes up alts usually go down and visversa.....

Well that were a bad use of bitcoin as we all know that bitcoin hasnot a reverse option like paypal ,in this case the Expedia should return the bitcoins to the wallet.
The fact that you find it easier to spend fiat and we need more and more bitcoins shops that accept the bitcoins to be able to make it popular and uses among the masses.

Your bot broke.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Ultrafinery

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 02:46:22 PM

The fact that you find it easier to spend fiat implies that you have fiat that could be used to buy bitcoins. Fiat that is built to lose value. So you are basically saying that you would rather hold a currency that loses value so that you can spend it instead of holding a currency that gains in value because you don't want to spend it.

Yes, I have fiat that I can use to buy BTC. Most of that fiat is actually invested, not just in stocks and bonds, but in a house, in a car, and other stuff that I buy with it. The money I have in the bank (doing nothing) walkin' 'round money. Money I plan to spend before the next paycheck, and emergency money -- money I may need to access immediately for things I can't buy via CC (think hookers & blow).

It would be stupid for me to pay premium over spot (even if only exchange fees) to buy BTC with that money, because paying extra is stupid.
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2016, 03:02:12 PM

The fact that you find it easier to spend fiat implies that you have fiat that could be used to buy bitcoins. Fiat that is built to lose value. So you are basically saying that you would rather hold a currency that loses value so that you can spend it instead of holding a currency that gains in value because you don't want to spend it.

Yes, I have fiat that I can use to buy BTC. Most of that fiat is actually invested, not just in stocks and bonds, but in a house, in a car, and other stuff that I buy with it. The money I have in the bank (doing nothing) walkin' 'round money. Money I plan to spend before the next paycheck, and emergency money -- money I may need to access immediately for things I can't buy via CC (think hookers & blow).

It would be stupid for me to pay premium over spot (even if only exchange fees) to buy BTC with that money, because paying extra is stupid.

Yep, the 1% I paid to convert all of my money throughout 2015 at an average rate of $250/BTC was such a waste of money.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Ultrafinery

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 03:09:28 PM

Yep, the 1% I paid to convert all of my money throughout 2015 at an average rate of $250/BTC was such a waste of money.

Well ya, you bought a scratch ticket that paid you (almost) double. That same scratch game made shitloads of people broke, too. Don't confuse blowing your paychecks into scratch tickets with prudent financial planning.
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2016, 03:18:54 PM

Well ya, you bought a scratch ticket that paid you (almost) double. That same scratch game made shitloads of people broke, too. Don't confuse blowing your paychecks into scratch tickets with prudent financial planning.

The Federal Reserve has a stated goal to make sure that the dollar loses value over time. It has a great track record of doing so.

Bitcoin has a built in cap which means that over time the price is meant to go up. It also has a great track record of doing so.

There's not much "chance" in things that are built to do something continuing to do so. Especially with a history of doing exactly that.

I have every confidence that the Federal Reserve will continue doing its job.

Ultrafinery

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 03:31:31 PM

The Federal Reserve has a stated goal to make sure that the dollar loses value over time. It has a great track record of doing so.

Bitcoin has a built in cap which means that over time the price is meant to go up. It also has a great track record of doing so.

There's not much "chance" in things that are built to do something continuing to do so. Especially with a history of doing exactly that.

I have every confidence that the Federal Reserve will continue doing its job.

You are confusing artificial scarcity with value. BBQ coin "has a built in cap which means that over time the price is meant to go up." The price went up until it didn't.
And yes, the USD is meant to be spent, and if you don't spend it, it will melt. Like an ice cream cone. USD is a shitty store of value, as is the ice cream cone. The trick, both with the USD and the ice cream cone, is to use them correctly. Eat the ice cream before it melts, spend the USD.

And by "spend," I do not mean "convert all of it into BBQ coins, BTC, scratch tickets, or ice cream cones." Invest your surplus.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2016, 03:36:00 PM

Expedia has alot of foresight  Roll Eyes

when bitcoin hits 1k again, they will probably add it again and recieve some media attention  Angry

Ultrafinery

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 03:40:44 PM

when bitcoin hits 1k again, they will probably add it again and recieve some media attention  Angry

Not like they didn't give bitcoin a chance...
"Despite a decline of approximately 40% in bitcoin purchases [Shocked -ed.], Connie Chung, senior payments product manager at Expedia, says the option to pay with the digital currency will remain as long as there is a demand for it."
That was last July, here Sad
Ultrafinery

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 03:53:01 PM

"Despite a decline of approximately 40% in bitcoin purchases [Shocked -ed.], Connie Chung, senior payments product manager at Expedia, says the option to pay with the digital currency will remain as long as there is a demand for it."
It just isn't used as a daily driver for many people, even those of us who are fans of the crypto scene.

Yup, seems like the trend is to keep it under a tarp in the back yard.
No point in accepting a currency no one spends, so rational move on Expedia's part. Good on them.
thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 03:59:18 PM

Eh.  I'm sorry you're disappointed about this, but very few people spend their coins anyway,  and this doesn't surprise me.   What's the advantage btc has over cash for expedia?  There probably isn't any advantage so they ditched the option.

Why have Bitcoin at all if nobody will spend it?

The advantage for Expedia is that they have a booked reservation that is already paid for at the time of booking. No need to wait to see if the person shows up for their reservation or wait for the credit card to go through at the end of the hotel stay.

The advantage for me is that I don't have to convert my bitcoins to dollars to pay for my hotel stay.

At least cheapair.com has hotels and I can use vrbo.com.

Why have gold at all if nobody will spend it?

Exactly, this assumption doesn't make much sense.

People will keep using whatever is more comfortable for them. If people get paid in dollars/euro/whatever currency they get paid in, then they are not going to buy an additional currency to buy something because that doesn't make sense, specially when they have to pay extra commissions when converting. So unless buying with Bitcoin means you get to buy at a discount enough that it makes sense to do so, or if you are getting paid directly in Bitcoin, then I don't see much use cases happening any time soon for ordinary people. This doesn't mean the potential to growth isn't immense, because it is a better gold.
Daniel91
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 1824

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 04:03:14 PM

Sad news but I can understand their viewpoint.
If not enough demands for bitcoin why should they keep it as payment option?
Also, bitcoin is still not official currency, they have to transfer bitcoin funds to some ''real'' currency, have to think about bitcoin value all the time etc.
They can see that we are not yet mainstream and that bitcoin is still used in just a few places etc.
At least they was open to accept bitcoin and hopefully will try again later.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
Hazir
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1005

★Nitrogensports.eu★

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 04:03:22 PM

Interesting point, but I don't know if that situation could be used as free publicity and show off later.
Do you know of any service, company, shop which started to accept bitcoin, cancel btc acceptance it later opened for BTC once again?
(Obviously we are counting out Microsoft mistake earlier this year)

█████████████████     ████████
       ████████              ████████
     ████████     ███████  ████████     ████████
    ████████     █████████████████     ████████
████████     ████████  ███████     ████████
          ████████     █████████████████
▄▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██     
██
██
▬▬ THE LARGEST & MOST TRUSTED ▬▬
      BITCOIN SPORTSBOOK     
   ▄▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██     
██
██
             ▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▄
     ▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀        ▀▄▄▄▄          
▄▀▀▀▀                 █   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
█                    ▀▄          █
 █   ▀▌     ██▄        █          █              
 ▀▄        ▐████▄       █        █
  █        ███████▄     ▀▄       █
   █      ▐████▄█████████████████████▄
   ▀▄     ███████▀                  ▀██
    █      ▀█████    ▄▄        ▄▄    ██
     █       ▀███   ████      ████   ██
     ▀▄        ██    ▀▀        ▀▀    ██
      █        ██        ▄██▄        ██
       █       ██        ▀██▀        ██
       ▀▄      ██    ▄▄        ▄▄    ██
        █      ██   ████      ████   ██
         █▄▄▄▄▀██    ▀▀        ▀▀    ██
               ██▄                  ▄██
                ▀████████████████████▀

CASINO  ●  DICE  ●  POKER  
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
   24 hour Customer Support   

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
samwbc

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 04:18:40 PM

Still seems to work.  I just tried to book Treasure Island Las Vegas with bitcoin and got the Bitcoin Payment option and then got to the Coinbase payment page.

"Travel Purchase Order
$82.28 USD
0.181345 BTC"

Also works with Circus Circus.  Good price for Circus Circus on a weekday.

"$22.18 USD
0.048973 BTC"

It doesn't work for all hotels though.  It only works for hotels that allows Expedia to be the payment processor.  Some hotels don't use Expedia for payment (they only use Expedia for reservations) so you can't pay with bitcoins.  I've booked with both types of hotels before from Expedia.  With the hotels that allow Expedia to process their payments, those rooms are prepaid and I don't have to do anything else when I get there.  The hotels that don't use Expedia for payment processing, there is no Bitcoin payment tab, and I have to pay the hotel directly when I get there (cash or credit.  form of payment does not have to be the same as the one used for reservation since the room wasn't prepaid).  

Not sure why Customer Service said that they've stopped taking bitcoins.  Maybe they've made a decision to stop taking it in the future?
Ultrafinery

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 04:38:07 PM

It just isn't used as a daily driver for many people, even those of us who are fans of the crypto scene.

Yup, seems like the trend is to keep it under a tarp in the back yard.
No point in accepting a currency no one spends, so rational move on Expedia's part. Good on them.
Well they don't accept gold or silver either. Somethings just don't need to be a common currency to have value.
Exactly. Bitcoin clearly has value. Like gold, silver, AAPL shares, Beanies, and all the other stuff that's not money.
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2016, 05:44:17 PM

Still seems to work.  I just tried to book Treasure Island Las Vegas with bitcoin and got the Bitcoin Payment option and then got to the Coinbase payment page.

"Travel Purchase Order
$82.28 USD
0.181345 BTC"

"$22.18 USD
0.048973 BTC"

It doesn't work for all hotels though.  It only works for hotels that allows Expedia to be the payment processor.  Some hotels don't use Expedia for payment (they only use Expedia for reservations) so you can't pay with bitcoins.  I've booked with both types of hotels before from Expedia.  With the hotels that allow Expedia to process their payments, those rooms are prepaid and I don't have to do anything else when I get there.  The hotels that don't use Expedia for payment processing, there is no Bitcoin payment tab, and I have to pay the hotel directly when I get there (cash or credit.  form of payment does not have to be the same as the one used for reservation since the room wasn't prepaid).  

Not sure why Customer Service said that they've stopped taking bitcoins.  Maybe they've made a decision to stop taking it in the future?

Well well, it seems they do. I just checked a few hotels in larger cities and they accept Bitcoin.

I've known that some hotels don't take them due to Expedia not being a payment processor but the city I was looking at had no hotels available with the option. That was my original question to them (do any hotels in this city accept Bitcoin).

ebliever
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 05:44:35 PM

"Travel Purchase Order
$82.28 USD
0.181345 BTC"

"$22.18 USD
0.048973 BTC"

I was able to use bitcoin to reserve a room at a Comfort Inn with Expedia last week. It was easy since I had the necessary funds on hand at Coinbase, and Expedia uses Coinbase as their processor, so the confirmation was immediate. Glad to hear the OP's info may not turn out to be official/accurate (not his fault, I'm sure).

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
BellaBitBit

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 06:21:20 PM

Oh well, their problem, not bitcoins.  They will accept it when they have too and they are hoping that day does not come.

I love Bitcoin
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: