Bitcoin Forum
July 02, 2024, 07:13:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will the companies accepting bitcoin continue to pour in?  (Read 3489 times)
notig (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 05:38:15 AM
Last edit: February 26, 2013, 06:11:29 AM by notig

It seems like every day I'm seeing several companies starting to accept bitcoins. Is it just me or is this a considerable change?

For instance today on reddit I see: Namecheap, 33Mail, .. okay just 2 I see but still!

edit: franksdomains
edit2: cisthene.com
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 06:22:01 AM

It seems like every day I'm seeing several companies starting to accept bitcoins. Is it just me or is this a considerable change?

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowball_effect

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

sublime5447
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 06:25:08 AM

No. and what does it matter if they do? Saying I accept bitcoins is easy, now getting people to spend them with you is another story all together.
As these sites realize that no one is spending btc they will just do away with it or move to other alt. currencies.
Le Happy Merchant

Activity: 634
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 06:29:32 AM

No. and what does it matter if they do? Saying I accept bitcoins is easy, now getting people to spend them with you is another story all together.
As these sites realize that no one is spending btc they will just do away with it or move to other alt. currencies.

Who says nobody is spending?

sublime5447
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 06:50:29 AM

I do I know because everyone has had a death grip on their coins since the price spike. People use BTC for 2 things drugs and speculation.
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 07:06:06 AM

I do I know because everyone has had a death grip on their coins since the price spike. People use BTC for 2 things drugs and speculation.

In addition to speculation, I use mine for domains, poker, settling debts with friends, and electronics/pc-hardware. My wife and I are also planning on having lunch at a local place this week that accepts bitcoin. Plus, I just found out that my mechanic takes bitcoin (which was a total surprise, but obviously awesome).

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
lebing
Legendary

Activity: 1288

Enabling the maximal migration

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 07:37:01 AM

Why wouldnt they?

Bro, do you even blockchain?
-E Voorhees
weex
Legendary

Activity: 1102
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 09:05:34 AM

I don't think BitPay or anyone else charges a monthly fee. Unless you're talking about screen real estate in your checkout process, there is no reason for a company to remove Bitcoin acceptance graphics and features. As the price rises, more BTC will be spent on the things people want or need and yeah that will only increase the snowball effect.
phatsphere

Activity: 763
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 10:11:58 AM

From where do you get this info? Is there a central collection of such newly accepting pages?
Hiver

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 10:21:09 AM

Who says nobody is spending?

Yesterday I bought a "rare" copy of Final Fantasy 7 from a friend, and was going to buy some ecigerettes but the vendor's website wasn't functional. I think Sublime is projecting.
poly

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

Weighted companion cube

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 11:14:57 AM

For more merchants to accept bitcoin, the userbase must increase. There's really two things that can happen from now:

1) More and more vendors accept bitcoin, causing more users, and this is where bitcoin takes off.
2) Vendors realize that they are getting few sales through bitcoin, and after a while remove bitcoin.

Right now, we're seeing more vendors accepting bitcoin. Namecheap is in the implementation stages, and there's quite a few sites to come.

poly | My Tip Jar
Luno

Activity: 504

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 11:20:35 AM

For more merchants to accept bitcoin, the userbase must increase. There's really two things that can happen from now:

1) More and more vendors accept bitcoin, causing more users, and this is where bitcoin takes off.
2) Vendors realize that they are getting few sales through bitcoin, and after a while remove bitcoin.

2 is kinda like how OWS faded out.

If the value of Bitcoin goes up fewer will be spend. The Dollar value of the spend coins per month might increase but the number of Bitcoins circulated in commerce will go down!

On the other hand, a drop or levelling in price will increase spending.
poly

Activity: 84

Weighted companion cube

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 11:31:27 AM

If the value of Bitcoin goes up fewer will be spend. The Dollar value of the spend coins per month might increase but the number of Bitcoins circulated in commerce will go down!

Spending 1 BTC or 100 satoshi is irrelevant if they have the same buying power. For example, a GDP of 500 trillion doesn't mean anything if milk costs $50 a bottle.

poly | My Tip Jar
Luno

Activity: 504

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 11:34:34 AM
Last edit: February 26, 2013, 12:05:56 PM by Luno

Spending 1 BTC or 100 satoshi is irrelevant if they have the same buying power. For example, a GDP of 500 trillion doesn't mean anything if milk costs $50 a bottle.
You're right, it just seemed that post's in this thread did not differentiate between the value of the spent coins and the number of spent coins.

The best advertising a "proof" of Bitcoin's utility is increasing exchangerate. However, this also put breaks commercial adoptation. Imagine it was gold coins appreaciating as fast as Bitcoins and people would rather save them than use them.

So my thought is that adoptation and utility is cyclic opposite. There are periods of high exchangerate when people learn about Bitcoin and get some and there are periods where Bitcoin is cheaper and advances in use and markets happen and more people spend them.
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2013, 11:58:25 AM

"People are not spending coins" is such a stupid myth. Now that the price has risen quite a bit, they are actually more likely to spend them. That's how it goes with me at least. It feels like I'm spending less money since stuff costs less, and I actually have more purchasing power, and obviously there are more and more ways to spend coins which helps to counter the thought of "I'm better off buying with fiat anyway". That thought is starting to get more false every day.

Not spending because you'd rather hold money simply means that you don't need to spend. There is nothing you need to buy. If there is something you need to buy, then it's a different story. It doesn't matter which currency you use, even if you're afraid that spending BTC's will reduce your investments into it, you can simply buy that amount back with fiat at some point.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 12:10:48 PM

There's a huge market of digital goods which can *only* be sold using bitcoins, and I'm not talking about illegal stuff. It is pretty hard and expensive to get CC merchant account, and it is very unreliable and expensive to use paypal for business (firsthand experiences please before you comment), and it's not even available anywhere but few countries.

So there's about 5 billion people in the world who, if they want to sell digital goods online, have no easy solution to accept payments, maybe only some local digital money which have hard limits and huge percentages and are not available in other parts of the world. Will the companies accepting bitcoin continue to pour in? Heh.

i am satoshi
just1nmc

Activity: 280

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 12:22:50 PM

There's a huge market of digital goods which can *only* be sold using bitcoins, and I'm not talking about illegal stuff. It is pretty hard and expensive to get CC merchant account, and it is very unreliable and expensive to use paypal for business (firsthand experiences please before you comment), and it's not even available anywhere but few countries.

So there's about 5 billion people in the world who, if they want to sell digital goods online, have no easy solution to accept payments, maybe only some local digital money which have hard limits and huge percentages and are not available in other parts of the world. Will the companies accepting bitcoin continue to pour in? Heh.

There are also plenty of benefits in accepting bitcoins for physical goods. When I sell on eBay or Amazon, I'm looking at fees between 8% and 15%. Being able to sell for bitcoins would be huge in reducing that, which is why I'm really hoping for bitmit.net or a similar service to grow.
granolageek

Activity: 60

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 01:07:39 PM

But the dollar value is an excellent proxy for the amount of goods and services purchased. That is what matters, not the number of actual BTC.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 06:04:43 PM

But the dollar value is an excellent proxy for the amount of goods and services purchased. That is what matters, not the number of actual BTC.

Short term, sure. Anything longer than a year or so and dollar value is a horrible yardstick.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 06:09:03 PM

In addition to speculation, I use mine for domains, poker, settling debts with friends, and electronics/pc-hardware. My wife and I are also planning on having lunch at a local place this week that accepts bitcoin. Plus, I just found out that my mechanic takes bitcoin (which was a total surprise, but obviously awesome).

hah, you're actually arguing with sublime? He's a troll with a hankering for alt cryptocurrencies... he just pulls this data out of his ass.  Grin
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: