Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 12:42:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: how to scrap old miners (PCB, regulators, etc)  (Read 1515 times)
klondike_bar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
May 13, 2016, 04:03:14 AM

the time has come when its painfully obvious that >1w/GH gear will never be useful again, and Ive got a bunch of S1 units and BE200-based boards lying around taking up space.

ive already stripped off aluminum frames and heatsinks for the scrap metal, and put the fans in thier own pile, but what about the PCBs?

Is there any real resale value for the individual parts such as inductors and regulators (mostly TPS53355 or similar)? Is it wort my time to serepate anyting in particular (or at all) before trying to get base scrap value on the copper PCBs?

I think as "collectors items" may still be the best price, and/or have considered desoldering BE200 chips for individual sale

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708

View Profile
May 13, 2016, 04:43:17 AM

I got a bunch of old KNC Jupiters and wondering the same thing.

However I doubt I will get much for the aluminum and copper heatsinks or the PCB boards. I think if you go to a scrap yard and donate a 2 ton car they give you $100 but a few grams won't be worth much.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
klondike_bar (OP)
Legendary

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
May 13, 2016, 03:15:44 PM

However I doubt I will get much for the aluminum and copper heatsinks or the PCB boards. I think if you go to a scrap yard and donate a 2 ton car they give you $100 but a few grams won't be worth much.

most places give $200+ and will even tow your car, and they make $200-300 on scrap metal, plus any parts they think will scrap for resale. but thats mpainted metal, mised with oil, dirt, rust, glass, fabric, etc.

im seeing scrap value of aluminum to range $0.40-0.50 at most recyclers depending on quality, and anything from $1-$2 for a pound of PCB (mainly for copper content). for an S1 you might be looking at $5 scrap value. I think the PCBs could be potentially sold for collectors though on their own for $5 each, or to someone who is interested in specific regulators that cost $3-5 otherwise and tere are a few per hash board.

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
adaseb
Legendary

View Profile
May 13, 2016, 03:38:02 PM

most places give $200+ and will even tow your car, and they make $200-300 on scrap metal, plus any parts they think will scrap for resale. but thats mpainted metal, mised with oil, dirt, rust, glass, fabric, etc.

im seeing scrap value of aluminum to range $0.40-0.50 at most recyclers depending on quality, and anything from $1-$2 for a pound of PCB (mainly for copper content). for an S1 you might be looking at $5 scrap value. I think the PCBs could be potentially sold for collectors though on their own for $5 each, or to someone who is interested in specific regulators that cost $3-5 otherwise and tere are a few per hash board.

I had good luck on Craigslist or Kijiji getting rid of my unprofitable miners, maybe try that.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 14, 2016, 02:11:59 AM

I had good luck on Craigslist or Kijiji getting rid of my unprofitable miners, maybe try that.

Also parting it out possibly for those still using them that want replacements.   You might be able to find them on the board here or ebay.   But I would try this before completely scrapping it.

I have only had to part one miner out was a C1 and I did decent considering, but it did have a lot of parts.   Old miners like the dragon's and A1's I'm sure there are some who would buy boards at decent price.   

And if you are lucky craigslist as no shipping so really better on heavy old miners like A1's.  But if your like me in middle of no where CL is not so good for this.
klondike_bar (OP)
Legendary

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
May 14, 2016, 04:00:02 AM

stuff using >1w/GH is truly obsolete, even with free power it just makes way more sense to get 0.5-0.7w/GH gear for dirtcheap already/

Im sitting here staring at the pile of S1 boards (heatsinks removed, thermal paste cleaned away), maybe i can get $10/ea on ebay as collectors items. Not sure about the SP10 - its rediculously heavy and easily replaced by a $100 antminer S5.

sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
May 14, 2016, 04:23:17 AM

If you had some A1 Dragon, I'd take a board. I've got one at the shop with a roasted board and I'd just as soon it was complete for the museum shelf. I'd consider some H/M board Bitfury stuff as well; right now I have one backplane with 8 working slots and 10 cards to put in it so some more cards and a working backplane would come in handy.
Not so much on the S1 boards; I have 15 S1 at the shop in various stages between "in the original packaging" and "replaced parts for undervolting". Maybe if I can get a pod project going, and I burn through the hundred-odd TPS53355-laden boards I already have (which would be pretty sweet, I'll be honest) I'd want to take in more but unless I get ahead enough financially (and chronologically) to run the dev, and get some actual cooperation from a chip manufacturer (instead of silence), that's definitely a stretch goal.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
gt_addict

Activity: 2492
Merit: 621

View Profile
May 14, 2016, 08:05:14 AM

Have you got a rockminer rbox (110ghs version)? If it's working I can pay for shipping to the UK Smiley

**SUPPORT SIDEHACK** Miner Development Donations to:  1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr

Donations/Tips to:-   1GTADDicTXD1uachKKgW24DZDxDGhSMdRa

Join Bitconnect: https://bitconnect.co/?ref=gtaddict
klondike_bar (OP)
Legendary

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
May 14, 2016, 06:05:16 PM

Have you got a rockminer rbox (110ghs version)? If it's working I can pay for shipping to the UK Smiley

no, but i do have at least 1 (maybe two) of the 32GB r-box, which was way more adorable in my opinion. its like a pokemon that hasnt evolved into its final form yet <3
Includes all original packaging (it was tinkered with a bit, but i mostly bought it for my own collectible pile. Im open to offers, though shippng to the UK is pricy and slow

klondike_bar (OP)
Legendary

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
May 14, 2016, 06:12:13 PM

If you had some A1 Dragon, I'd take a board. I've got one at the shop with a roasted board and I'd just as soon it was complete for the museum shelf. I'd consider some H/M board Bitfury stuff as well; right now I have one backplane with 8 working slots and 10 cards to put in it so some more cards and a working backplane would come in handy.
Not so much on the S1 boards; I have 15 S1 at the shop in various stages between "in the original packaging" and "replaced parts for undervolting". Maybe if I can get a pod project going, and I burn through the hundred-odd TPS53355-laden boards I already have (which would be pretty sweet, I'll be honest) I'd want to take in more but unless I get ahead enough financially (and chronologically) to run the dev, and get some actual cooperation from a chip manufacturer (instead of silence), that's definitely a stretch goal.

Ive considered renting a hot air gun and vacuum tweezers to remove regulators and ASIC chips myself, is there any market for that (like you, id probably pull 100+ TPS53355 or similar bucks)? im not very experienced at it though, so its likely they'd need a secondary cleanup to remove any remaining solder

The Bitfury M-board and at least 4 H-boards I plan to keep as they are pretty uncommon at this point (and *fingers crossed* might be compatible with the next bitfury consumer-level gear), but that still leaves 4-5 H-boards im willing to sell.

my goal is to offload the biggest stuff first. that means the aluminum frames/heatsinks for the BTCgarden/AntminerS1 units, and figuring out WTF an SP10 is still worth (considering an S3 with similar specs and 1/4 the weight costs <$40). Its gotta have $15 of scrap aluminum in it at least

EDIT: added some power breakers (QBH style) and a fancy L21-20 outlet to my list

smracer
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1055
Merit: 1020

View Profile
May 14, 2016, 06:23:23 PM

I have got 500+ Neptune cubes I am going to have to scrap in a few months.  I wonder if I can sell the heatsinks and fans for more than the whole units.
adaseb
Legendary

View Profile
May 14, 2016, 06:45:07 PM

I have got 500+ Neptune cubes I am going to have to scrap in a few months.  I wonder if I can sell the heatsinks and fans for more than the whole units.

If the neptunes were anything like the jupiter, the CPU mounting bracket wasn't included so you couldn't sell them for a CPU.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
QuentinA

Activity: 628
Merit: 504

View Profile
May 17, 2016, 08:49:24 AM

Why not give it a try on the computer harware section?

I know some people who would probably buy hem for the right price, neptunes are silent and powerful!

Hell I'd give it a go for the next winter depending on where you're located for shipping (I'm in EU)

telegram @HaroldFTW
btc escrow - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5156456
3FxaFD37d5SA98sy8t8kkXs3MonwknEziK
gt_addict

View Profile
May 17, 2016, 08:59:42 AM

no, but i do have at least 1 (maybe two) of the 32GB r-box, which was way more adorable in my opinion. its like a pokemon that hasnt evolved into its final form yet <3
Includes all original packaging (it was tinkered with a bit, but i mostly bought it for my own collectible pile. Im open to offers, though shippng to the UK is pricy and slow

If you can find out the cost of shipping and let me know how much you'd like for one I might be interested subject to cost)  Smiley

**SUPPORT SIDEHACK** Miner Development Donations to:  1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr

sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
May 17, 2016, 12:30:20 PM

I've got some of the 100GH New R-Box dead from CrazyGuy, could probably fix one up and get it your way when I have time.

I do not have any of the pod R-Box though, interested in that.

I also don't have any Neptunes. I actually don't have any KFC gear in the museum.

Unfortunately, I also don't have any budget for the museum at present. But hopefully I will by the end of the month.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
gt_addict

View Profile
May 17, 2016, 01:04:07 PM

I've got some of the 100GH New R-Box dead from CrazyGuy, could probably fix one up and get it your way when I have time.

I also don't have any Neptunes. I actually don't have any KFC gear in the museum.

Unfortunately, I also don't have any budget for the museum at present. But hopefully I will by the end of the month.

How much would you want for it (including shipping to the UK)? I'm after the 100gh ones only a couple to have a little micro mine set up. Electric cost killed my two s3+'s so they've gone now. Although I've still got a half dead one. Only one board works.

Goms

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 21, 2016, 08:32:36 AM

Why don't you visit a mining rig store to ask if they have some sort of electronics recycle program?
Finksy
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 24, 2016, 03:35:25 AM

Check your mail in the coming weeks, I'll have something for the museum at your door.

IBM 2880W PSU Packages: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=966135 IBM 4K PSU Breakout Boards & Packages: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1308296 
Server PSU-powered GPU rig solutions! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1864539  Wallet address: 1GWQYCv22cAikgTgT1zFuAmsJ9fFqq9TXf 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: