Question: Can I trust?
Hell Yes! - 12 (25.5%)
Yes - 21 (44.7%)
No - 5 (10.6%)
Hell No! - 9 (19.1%)
Total Voters: 47

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I trust Blockchain.info wallet?  (Read 4564 times)
Chris!
Legendary

Activity: 1382
Merit: 1122

View Profile
May 14, 2016, 05:02:04 PM

So far you have 40% on hell no. I think that's a fair indication that 'hell no!' you shouldn't trust them. Why would you trust an online wallet? There's no need to. This isn't banking. This isn't fiat we're talking about. It's bitcoin, which is decentralized. Don't centralize your coins.
SyGambler
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1804

guess who's back

View Profile
May 14, 2016, 07:30:39 PM

why to trust blockchain when you have better options !! I mean it's trusted so far but you should keep your keys somewhere else and you should have a good security since it's an online wallet in general
holding some mbtc in blockchain isn't bad , but don't hold a lot of coins in it
Bitspenser

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 14, 2016, 07:34:40 PM

So far you have 40% on hell no. I think that's a fair indication that 'hell no!' you shouldn't trust them. Why would you trust an online wallet? There's no need to. This isn't banking. This isn't fiat we're talking about. It's bitcoin, which is decentralized. Don't centralize your coins.
Blockchain.info can be useful sometimes though, like maybe you are on vacation or something or don't have access to your computer and you needed to pay bitcoins to someone. You can use blockchain.info to access your funds.
cryptoheadd

Activity: 1022
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 14, 2016, 07:36:54 PM

I started my wallet there in 2013 and forgot about it.  I recovered it and now updated it to their "new wallet."

I saw a lot of posts on Reddit that say it would not be wise to use them. But I like the site and the app for my iPhone.

Dumb question, if I make an address with it, can I use that address with a different wallet? If so, do I just use the address and key to migrate it?

I'd recommend you to use Coinbase, as it is just as secure & best of all, Coinbase pays the mining fee. Wink
SFR10
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 3441

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2016, 01:50:35 PM

Well the team behind it has been trustworthy to date (AFAIK), and even though from time to time, it has it's on complications, the staff get on problems right away and have good support team too (they tend to get to you even if what your asking it isn't considered from the list of problems that support covers). The main problem is that blockchain.info is just another online wallet like some others so there would always be the risk of accounts being compromised but from what I've experienced, it's the best among the online wallets but I wouldn't advise for storing large amounts of BTCitcoin on it (your better off with a hardware wallet for that matter). Their app is actually quite buggy so after my initial experience, I would recommend using your iPhone's browser instead of their app.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Bitcoinbro

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 15, 2016, 02:27:05 PM

Well the team behind it has been trustworthy to date (AFAIK), and even though from time to time, it has it's on complications, the staff get on problems right away and have good support team too (they tend to get to you even if what your asking it isn't considered from the list of problems that support covers). The main problem is that blockchain.info is just another online wallet like some others so there would always be the risk of accounts being compromised but from what I've experienced, it's the best among the online wallets but I wouldn't advise for storing large amounts of BTCitcoin on it (your better off with a hardware wallet for that matter). Their app is actually quite buggy so after my initial experience, I would recommend using your iPhone's browser instead of their app.

Towards their safety they have done a lot to make sure you can use and access, but also protect your bitcoins. However i don't understand how their business model works.
The wallet is free, less ads on their site etc. I  seems to me they eventually will do a runner?
HarryKPeters

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Live Stars - Adult Streaming Platform

View Profile
May 15, 2016, 03:13:18 PM

Towards their safety they have done a lot to make sure you can use and access, but also protect your bitcoins. However i don't understand how their business model works.
The wallet is free, less ads on their site etc. I  seems to me they eventually will do a runner?

Yeah it's unclear to me also how they earn their money. Developing the site, mobile applications, security, support cost a lot of money. But they haven't asked me 1 time for some money in terms of a fee or a donation. Perhaps they can elaborate on that?

coinpr0n

Activity: 910

View Profile
May 19, 2016, 01:20:31 PM

I started my wallet there in 2013 and forgot about it.  I recovered it and now updated it to their "new wallet."

I saw a lot of posts on Reddit that say it would not be wise to use them. But I like the site and the app for my iPhone.

Dumb question, if I make an address with it, can I use that address with a different wallet? If so, do I just use the address and key to migrate it?

I'd recommend you to use Coinbase, as it is just as secure & best of all, Coinbase pays the mining fee. Wink

Coinbase is also much more invasive about your personal identity and the source / destination of your transactions.

tyz
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1531

View Profile
May 19, 2016, 05:14:08 PM

No, I do not think! We have seen a lot of hacks. To be sure, you should store the main balance on a hardware wallet or at least in the Bitcoin core wallet on your machine. It can be seen as a cold wallet. Only a few Bitcoins (or mBTCs) should be stored on online wallets like Blockchain.info or Blockchain.com. Those can be seen as hot wallets what are more insecure.
notaek
Legendary

Activity: 1268
Merit: 1009

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2016, 05:33:55 PM

The answer to this question is yes and no.

Yes being the fact that you can kind of treat it as a hot wallet and complete your daily transactions over there.
It's also having an option to setup both 2FA as well as second password (which should be set different than your login password for enhanced security) in case you are paranoid.

No being the fact that you shouldn't treat it as a cold wallet and store more than 1 BTC there. Since it's a 3rd party wallet handled by their own server, you are responsible for your loss in case something drastic happens to their servers. No 2FA or second password will save your wallet from getting compromised, as they can easily be revoked from backend database.

thesame12

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 19, 2016, 05:36:19 PM

Yes, you can. I never had a problem with them so far.
Raimonn
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 19, 2016, 10:04:43 PM

I will not trust any online wallet as a saving account. But Blockchain.info has 2f security settings, and you could trust it for small amounts. But you need to remember that all online wallets could be hacked and you could loose your bitcoins. It depends on what you want to do with your wallet.
Robertqueen2

Activity: 826
Merit: 523

View Profile
May 20, 2016, 06:26:56 PM

I think it is the best wallet  in the internet , I use it from long time and I trust it , they have new wallet now , but I didn't get it . I will update my wallet later .
traderbit

Activity: 798

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2016, 07:57:16 PM

I started my wallet there in 2013 and forgot about it.  I recovered it and now updated it to their "new wallet."

I think that yes, you can continue using blockchain.iinfo wallet even though with their new wallet recently, blockchain.info is one of the most popular wallets and you can continue or you can move to desktop wallet. Just stay safe and be sure nobody knows your account password and continue using bitcoin.

OROBTC
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

View Profile
May 21, 2016, 12:23:38 AM

I have had three problems with blockchain.info's wallets (about two and a half years):

a)  I had two problems with their SharedCoin mixing service, but the problems were resolved OK.

b)  My wallet was cleaned out 100% once without me doing anything (I own the private key?!?!).  After some back & forth, I got it back.

Bottom Line: Nothing lost at blockchain.info for me, but I would suggest not holding too much there.  Hardware wallets instead!
sishendaoye

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 21, 2016, 01:06:54 AM

I started my wallet there in 2013 and forgot about it.  I recovered it and now updated it to their "new wallet."

I think that yes, you can continue using blockchain.iinfo wallet even though with their new wallet recently, blockchain.info is one of the most popular wallets and you can continue or you can move to desktop wallet. Just stay safe and be sure nobody knows your account password and continue using bitcoin.

Indeed you always have to do this, I think it will really help you without any doubts, the fact is that you can also use the google auth app for the blockchain and I think if you do this its pretty good secured.
techgeek

Activity: 826

View Profile
May 21, 2016, 08:57:41 AM

I cant find the reddit thread because it says its archived or whatever.

But it has a long list of 24 addresses listed with a minimum of 3 btc balances stolen even with the 2FA security and all.

There was a numerous complaints which is why they been discredit taken off the bitcoin.org site as a recommended online wallet.

If you do decide to go with them, I`d suggest its a place youd move coins eventually soon.

phreaky

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 21, 2016, 07:19:58 PM

Indeed you always have to do this, I think it will really help you without any doubts, the fact is that you can also use the google auth app for the blockchain and I think if you do this its pretty good secured.

The google auth is working pretty good, I first thought it was just bullshit but its pretty safe if you use it for your wallet.
bitlancr

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 21, 2016, 07:27:02 PM

The blockchain can be trusted although its of course a online wallet its pretty good secured compared with other wallets.
erikalui
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 1094

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2016, 07:44:42 PM

Any online wallet can be risky and even if you have the private key of your wallet, it doesn't guarantee that your coins could never be lost. Their 2FA also gives issues and many people have complained about not receiving the code due to which they were not able to access their wallet. Also, due to their variable fee and downtime issues, I stopped using the wallet and went to xapo. Paper wallets are much more reliable rather than online wallets IMO.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: