Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 04:47:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Closed Contest] Design a Bitcoin-based Bank Note (BitAurum Bit Note)  (Read 7500 times)
BitAurum (OP)

Activity: 318
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 27, 2013, 10:36:51 PM
Last edit: March 16, 2013, 04:56:58 PM by BitAurum

Motivation: Who wouldn't like to be able to print money?
I run a Bitcoin-based business in Germany that also sells Bitcoins for bank transfers. Sadly, some culprits tried to use this opportunity for cashing out fraudulent bank transfers. I didn't lose any money but it gave me a good scare.

So now, to make sure I work with real, existing people, instead of demanding copies of their IDs and playing police state, I try to respect new customers by sending them a private/public key combo to their home address (they have other payment options which do not require this step, so it's their choice). When they send me back the public address, it gets charged with the amount of BTCs they purchased and they can access the BTCs immediately. I know that they are who they say they are and they have their bitcoins.

Nevertheless, a blank sheet of paper is missing that certain monetary flair that you get from, let's say, a bank note. Same thing happens to me when holding Casascious-Coins: They feel like a 2 EUR - Coin and make my fingers smell, regardless of the amount they were charged with. Also, they are a nightmare to ship because it's not possible to insure them for more than 500 EUR. Wouldn't be a problem if they are not precharged, but there you go.

Outlook: A high-quality print that makes you feel the value.
I took care of most of the steps we require for a good prototype. I was able to find semi-synthetic paper with a really nice feel and adequate security features. I got some generic holograms that self-destruct upon removal, but those will probably be customized with my logo when the rest is ready. Alpha-version printing will be performed with a standard color laser printer but maybe handed over to a professional printer in the future. Automatic keypair-generation and conversion to QR-Codes is easy.

The only thing that's really missing is a design. I could use bitadress.org, or any bitnote by PenCity as seen on ebay, but I want something branded, since those two are far away from perfection.

Requirement: Something classy with “more lensflare” and kittens
No, not really. This contest will not only test your craftsmanship but will require a certain amount of creativity. What you need in order to win is both, but you will not have to enter a finished design to win. I believe in leaving you with a lot of freedom, so there are just some basic rules and guidelines.

Here are the hard requirements:
  • Vector graphics, metric units
  • 160x80mm dimensions
  • A 25x25mm field for the public key as QR-Code and Base58
  • A 20x20mm field for the private key (will be covered by hologram)
  • The BitAurum-logo (golden bull), not too big. Contact me for High-Res versions.
  • If wanted: The artist's name as signature on the bottom right on backside. No hyperlinks, no offensive synonyms

Here are some soft requirements (may be omitted):
  • Old currencies contain curved patters to make them hard to reprint (see http://ggjgfljkdvjdj.blogspot.de/2010/09/austria-500-schilling-1965.html) [edit:], they are called "Guilloches"[/edit]. Let's carry on with this, but instead use straight lines that may be broken by 90-120° angles.
  • There should be a picture of a person of importance in the center of the front. I was thinking of Satoshi, but there are hardly any pictures so let's use some of my own heroes instead. I want to go with an artist's impression of Andeas Hofer, a freedom fighter in the aftermath of the Neapolitan Wars (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andreas_Hofer).
  • There should be architecture on the back side. Since nobody said it has to be houses and bridges, let's use a part of the SHA256 compression function (http://www.limited-entropy.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/SHA-2.png).
  • There should be a 1-byte binary field with boxes to be ticked and the corresponding base10-values for each bit printed small below(1,2,4,...,128). This should be not too obvious, a kind of an “inside trick”-feature and will serve as a denominator for the value of the note, which is, of course, only dependent on what was charged before. If you load 10 BTC, you can (if you want to), tick 0000x0x0. It should be at the spot where normally you would read 100 EUR or USD or whatever.
  • If you come up with a good name, let me know. I was thinking of staying with "Bitnotes" but I don't know if this word is branded.

The rules, how to apply and win
Feel free to use this thread to publish your designs and get feedback from the community or ask questions. To officially enroll, please send a high-res picture to contest@bitaurum.eu. If there is no mail, you are not a participant. Everything you send per email becomes the IP of BitAurum LTD unless otherwise specified. This contest will be over by March 15th, 12:00 PM UTC, a winner will be announced the day after.

In order to win, I need to see that you are up to the job and willing to finish the project. This is not a scholarship, you will not get paid for being talented, but for delivering. If you go “meh” after winning due to lack of motivation to finish the concept, the first price winner will get a 0 BTC commemorative BitAurum-BitNote that was painted by the 2nd price winner who designed the note and got the 10 BTC!

If you enter a breathtakingly good concept which you can only finish for x Bitcoins more, we will negotiate in private, but I reserve the right to decline. So again: No finished product, no pay.

Why the shitty rules? So you do not have to invest a lot of time just to see someone else win this. Use this thread to compare yourself to others. Think you can do it? Do it!

[edit, see post 4:]
Since there were no objections: All the artwork in this thread must be licensed under Creative Commons V3.0 BY-NC-SA (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/). If you do not agree, you can choose to enter the competition by email only.
[/edit]

I will now hedge the Bitcoins to 15UCowJK6xeYm9xnQzHQf3mBg4VVELA8wk. Good luck!
gdsl

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

Al Berg

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2013, 10:50:56 PM

Casacius has allso had a contest like this. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=92969.0

The bounty was 100 BTC at the time I think.

I think the winner was http://ocantinhodadama.clinicadosom.com/2012/07/20/bitcoin-note-design-psd-file/

You can see how it looks with QR code on http://zen.gdsl.no/bitcoin/wallet-14ceber67effwcmazawxfhquu7ug4d8e6o.png.html?sizes=1

Maybe you can work off this template or one of the others in the first competition ?

BitAurum (OP)

View Profile
February 27, 2013, 11:13:40 PM
Last edit: February 27, 2013, 11:39:21 PM by BitAurum

Thanks for the reply and yes: The idea isn't new, luckily I mentioned the result of Casascious' contest in my original post Cheesy (as a hint to bitaddress.org).

I didn't know the reward was 100 BTC, but then again, a BTC was around 8$ on July 2012, so my bounty is in the same order of magnitude.

Just for further inspiration, one might take a look at ebay and search for "BitNote".

[edit:]
Turns out the prize was 200 USD which got split 3-ways. Also, seems that every commercially used design for bitcoin paper notes comes from the work published in the thread mentioned by gdsl. People are so lazy...
BitAurum (OP)

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 04:19:36 PM

I did some thinking and decided that, since no work has been published so far, we should probably talk about licenses. I believe in order to avoid misuse of the designs in this thread but allowing the ideas to be used for the greater good of the community, it is a wise move to declare all the artwork published in this thread as Creative Commons V3.0 BY-NC-SA, meaning that the artists need to be credited when using the work presented here, derivative work is possible under the same license but commercial use is not allowed.

The finished design used for my shop will be "closed source", but I will offer a second, slightly modified (different color scheme or so) version that can be used freely under CC BY-ND, allowing commercial use but no "derivative works" (addition of 3rd party logos etc.). The idea behind this is my wish for genuine bitaurum-notes that can only be issued legally by my company.
If people decide that the bitnotes might be useful, nice to look at or just really good toilet paper, they will have the second design to use freely however they please.

If this collides with forum rules (didn't find them anywhere), please have a mod tell me so within the next day, otherwise I will consider this proposal accepted and will amend it to the tender.
Beefsock

Activity: 67

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 05:40:19 PM

If you go “meh” after winning due to lack of motivation to finish the concept, the first price winner will get a 0 BTC commemorative BitAurum-BitNote that was painted by the 2nd price winner who designed the note and got the 10 BTC!

Lol.

I have done work for BitAurum before and he's a nice guy and easy to work with. Sorry to hear about people taking advantage of your service in your first post. I may drop in last minute with a design for this depending on how things are looking and if I have the time to do so.
GGGGG

Activity: 183
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 03:06:03 AM

There should be a 1-byte binary field with boxes to be ticked and the corresponding base10-values for each bit printed small below(1,2,4,...,128). This should be not too obvious, a kind of an “inside trick”-feature and will serve as a denominator for the value of the note, which is, of course, only dependent on what was charged before. If you load 10 BTC, you can (if you want to), tick 0000x0x0. It should be at the spot where normally you would read 100 EUR or USD or whatever.

Can you explain this a little more, or make a quick illustration of what you mean? Just how small do you want this section?
BitAurum (OP)

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 12:36:15 PM

There should be a 1-byte binary field with boxes to be ticked and the corresponding base10-values for each bit printed small below(1,2,4,...,128). This should be not too obvious, a kind of an “inside trick”-feature and will serve as a denominator for the value of the note, which is, of course, only dependent on what was charged before. If you load 10 BTC, you can (if you want to), tick 0000x0x0. It should be at the spot where normally you would read 100 EUR or USD or whatever.

Can you explain this a little more, or make a quick illustration of what you mean? Just how small do you want this section?

Sure,

Here in the top left corner, one might also include a second base10 multiplier so that values of centi- and millibitcoins are possible. All the other doodles are just to give you a sense of size. Again, this should not be a predominant feature but maybe just hinted at. Feel free to explore.

While i'm spamming the thread with pictures, here is one thing I noticed when I made a prototype on the new paper:

Notice that the backside should contain a obfuscating feature where the private key is placed, because thick paper has the tendency to conduct lots of scattered light, which will present a security flaw when not addressed:

Full-Res Pictures:
https://i.imgur.com/vcPURhp.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/LWLmbXB.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/uWGQYqW.jpg
GGGGG

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 10:01:08 AM

Thanks, that clears things up a lot! Can you post vector art of the bull? Do you want "Bitaurum" on the design?
BitAurum (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 11:03:00 AM

Thanks, that clears things up a lot! Can you post vector art of the bull? Do you want "Bitaurum" on the design?

For the ai-Files of the logo please send me your Email-address.

On the note, there should be a small link to my site, but the logo itself without text is enough, I believe.
I have been thinking about it - of course it would be nice for people to associate the notes with my company, but it just doesn't feel right to make them look like a cheap gift card by putting hyperlinks and brand names all over this thing. It's a physical bitcoin, so the design should emphasize the benefits of bitcoins. The major flaw with physical wallets is that someone once had access to the private keys and can possibly sweep them at any time - I try to address this problem by becoming an exclusive issuing authority that will do everything possible to not get compromised.

Maybe the QR-Code with the public key should include a link in the background with a low-contrast pastel colour, so that it doesn't interfere with functionality. Maybe it will say bitaurum.eu/note next to the artist's signature in a thin 8px sized font, so you only find it if you look for it.

But for the time being, no text next to the logo, and I will keep grinding my teeth.
GGGGG

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 11:56:58 AM

Emailed you.
lepirate

Activity: 541
Merit: 500

Garbochock

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 02:48:19 PM

Here is the front page.
Please tell me if you like the design, if I should change something or if you think it is useless! Cheesy
gdsl

Activity: 68

Al Berg

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2013, 12:02:35 AM

Just a heads up Smiley

QR Code specs require a "quiet zone" around the code.

The border should be 4 modules. As a reference, the large allignment squares are 6 modules wide.

If the quiet zone is missing the QR code will not be universally readable.

GGGGG

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 04:17:59 AM

Here is the front page.
Please tell me if you like the design, if I should change something or if you think it is useless! Cheesy

Is that Osama bin Laden?  Tongue
lepirate

Activity: 541
Merit: 500

Garbochock

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 08:58:15 AM

Here is the front page.

Is that Osama bin Laden?  Tongue

Lol, no! It's my version of Andreas Hofer! It became a little bit unclear after converting to vector...  Grin
BitAurum (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 09:42:36 AM

Just a heads up Smiley

QR Code specs require a "quiet zone" around the code.

The border should be 4 modules. As a reference, the large allignment squares are 6 modules wide.

If the quiet zone is missing the QR code will not be universally readable.

I like your avatar Tongue

I was testing scripted QR-code placement, hologram endurance and printing quality with this thing. The readout works fine on android because of the light background, but I can confirm that there are problems when you put a qr on a black background without those borders.

The final design should and will respect these guidelines. It's work on my part though.
lightlord
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3226
Merit: 1226

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2013, 01:12:41 PM

I have a higher resolution up to 5000X3000 if needed.

If you have anymore suggestions I can add more things.

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
lightlord
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2013, 01:29:54 PM
Last edit: March 03, 2013, 02:10:19 PM by lightlord

Update

If you do like it my add is: 13cjE1VDsiF5SjFEt5kg2izYmcvUmpwTi5
I will take all consideration, and any suggestion will lead to more improvements.

Best regards
Lightlord

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
Timbo925

Activity: 352

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 02:39:47 PM

Here is my first try. Feedback always welcome.
Also if you could pm me a high res version of your logo I can add it to the design  Smiley

Xqisit

Activity: 98

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 11:03:30 PM

This is no simple task, but it sounds like a lot of fun, and it's an awesome idea. Still not sure if I'll be contributing or not, but I'm contemplating it!
lightlord
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2013, 12:59:59 AM

Doing another update, making the sides less profound, and changing the hex style.
Also changing the red circle around the bitcoin. A few updates.

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███