Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 12:51:20 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I intordocue BitCoins into my community?  (Read 2661 times)
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4669

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 07:59:28 PM

I don't even have Bitcoins for myself to use.

Huh

Ok, I'd say this would be an important first step before you try to introduce bitcoin to others.  It might be a good idea to get some experience using it yourself.
UncleBuckRIU (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 08:01:19 PM

I don't even have Bitcoins for myself to use.

Huh

Ok, I'd say this would be an important first step before you try to introduce bitcoin to others.  It might be a good idea to get some experience using it yourself.

I will. I just have to wait till my next paycheck. I just paid rent.
I understand it and believe it should be used though. It could make a lot of things, a lot easier.
mccorvic

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 08:01:24 PM

So, you think that there should be restrictions on what BitCoin lets us buy?

Why even have a crypto currency if you don't want to really use it? I think you should just stick to paper money.

I don't think he meant you couldn't, but probably it shouldn't be the first thing you go up to strangers and use to explain bitcoin.  I mean, maybe if you really know the person but as a general tool, prob not.

It isn't easy to get people onto bitcoin.  I've been talkin' it up to my family/friends for years, have bought goods (not silk road!) with BTC, bought things FOR them with BTC, shown them the increase in value....and they still think it's some kind of weird pyramid scheme or something.  The biggest facepalm moment was when I bought my dad something for his birthday off bitcoinstore.com and explained how I got a sweet deal for it because BTC is more efficient and all I got was a "Yea, because it fell off the back of the truck heh heh heh."

The best thing you can do is just play it cool, don't sperg out, and just keep at it.

Though, getting someone to sell YOU something for BTC is really good too.  I have gotten a few peeps to at least take it seriously once I paid them some coinage.

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
UncleBuckRIU (OP)

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 08:10:55 PM

Why even have a crypto currency if you don't want to really use it? I think you should just stick to paper money.

I don't think he meant you couldn't, but probably it shouldn't be the first thing you go up to strangers and use to explain bitcoin.  I mean, maybe if you really know the person but as a general tool, prob not.

I understand that, that's why I included "not in a business setting" or whatever it was I said about business to that effect.

I just feel like if you are sitting with 1 other person and even up to 5 other people. And you're all sitting around talking about stocks, or getting a little drunk, or even smoking a little weed (it's medical in some states). Open your laptop and show someone the silk road, then when they ask "what currency is that?", you get into bitcoins, and you explain them like stocks and say that they move up and down, and they will never really lose value because they have use on websites such as the one you are currently showing them, which will always have traffic and customers no matter what.
UncleBuckRIU (OP)

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 08:12:02 PM

I feel that it is a REALLY good introduction to BTC.
joecooin

Activity: 359
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2013, 09:07:58 PM

I think the best way to turn people onto Bitcoins is by showing them the Silk Road.

Great idea.

The community has been working quite hard for a while to turn the focus of media coverage _away_ from drug buying and money laundering and you think it is a good idea to convince people of the superiority of a currency by explaining to them that they can do criminal things with it easier?

Do me a favour and do _not_ try to attract people to bitcoin, I think it is the worst thing you can do for the technology!

Joe

What are you talking about, where have I suggested any 'restrictions'? I quote myself so you can re-read what I wrote.

All I said is that I find it a rather stupid idea to believe that you can make people adapt a new currency and economic system by telling them that one can do nice illegal stuff with it.

'Here's organized crime. Join us, it's fun and it's the future!'

Or what?

Joe

Gestas

Activity: 54

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 09:17:24 PM

I'd suggest a good old fashion bitcoin ponzi scheme long term offering.
UncleBuckRIU (OP)

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 12:01:37 AM

I think the best way to turn people onto Bitcoins is by showing them the Silk Road.

Great idea.

The community has been working quite hard for a while to turn the focus of media coverage _away_ from drug buying and money laundering and you think it is a good idea to convince people of the superiority of a currency by explaining to them that they can do criminal things with it easier?

Do me a favour and do _not_ try to attract people to bitcoin, I think it is the worst thing you can do for the technology!

Joe

What are you talking about, where have I suggested any 'restrictions'? I quote myself so you can re-read what I wrote.

All I said is that I find it a rather stupid idea to believe that you can make people adapt a new currency and economic system by telling them that one can do nice illegal stuff with it.

'Here's organized crime. Join us, it's fun and it's the future!'

Or what?

Joe

You said that if I want to promote the use of cryptocurrency for illegal exchange, that I am going against what it is meant for. Which is the complete opposite of the truth. And if anyone were to implement your philosophy into the bitcoin network, it would be restrictions.

And I never suggested it for illegal exchange, I said the silk road. I use the silk road and I never EVER plan on getting anything illegal from there. They just have a few legal things on there that are cheaper than on other sites.
joecooin

Activity: 359
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2013, 05:34:10 AM

You said that if I want to promote the use of cryptocurrency for illegal exchange, that I am going against what it is meant for.

Maybe someone has said that in your funny world with green skies but it wasn't me and it wasn't on this forum as one can easily see here.

Look, you are either not capable of extracting the meaning out of words or you are just trolling around by claiming I would have said things that I obviously have not said.

Given that I want to stop this discussion with you, it's useless.

Joe

TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2013, 05:47:46 AM

Edit the title of this topic and fix "intordocue"

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4532

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 09:07:42 AM

the trouble with small communities facebook trading page is that they usually dont deliver goods through the post, they normally arrange to meet up at a central point or at each others house and pay cash, because they live so close. so the whole credit card/paypal fee argument is negligible.

there is a town in canada that uses a virtual currency based on 'time'. eg a worker can be paid fiat or convert the hour he worked into a 'hour's 'time' coupon which he then trades for other peoples products valued at a fair rate.

so researching how they successfully got their system operational is the start.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: