Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 12:53:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Payment QR codes: a Potential for Abuse?  (Read 2240 times)
Snowfire (OP)

Activity: 122
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 04:05:39 AM

I have noticed that some QR codes presented by merchants for payment encode not only the destination address, but the amount of the transaction. This is, I am sure, meant to be a convenience for the buyer. However, it would be quite easy for an unscrupulous operator to encode some much higher amount than the legitimate price into the QR code, thus scamming an unwary customer. In a system wherein charges are difficult to reverse, and wherein many wallet programs lack a confirmation dialogue box, it would behoove all to be wary..

BTC:1Ca1YU6rCqCHniNj6BvypHbaHYp32t2ubp XRP: rpVbjBotUFCoi9xPu3BqYXZhTLpgZbQpoZ
LTC:LRNTGhyymtNQ7uWeMQXdoEfP5Mryx2c62i :FC: 6qzaJCrowtyepN5LgdpQaTy94JuxmKmdF7

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2013, 04:12:49 AM

Fundamentally, I think it's silly to keep a wallet balance on a computer.  The way I see it, this is asking to get cleaned out.

For me, this would never trip me up, because I never have BTC online in any amount other than what I'm about to transact right then and there.  So if I'm about to spend 1 BTC and a merchant trips me up with a code that baits me into paying 100 BTC, I will see "insufficient funds".  That's because I will only have imported 1 (or slightly more than 1) BTC from paper wallets before making that transaction.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Johnathan

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 04:15:45 AM

I have noticed that some QR codes presented by merchants for payment encode not only the destination address, but the amount of the transaction. This is, I am sure, meant to be a convenience for the buyer. However, it would be quite easy for an unscrupulous operator to encode some much higher amount than the legitimate price into the QR code, thus scamming an unwary customer. In a system wherein charges are difficult to reverse, and wherein many wallet programs lack a confirmation dialogue box, it would behoove all to be wary..

Can you show an example of this?
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3044

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 05:44:43 AM

many wallet programs lack a confirmation dialogue box
Citation needed. No wallet software that I know of will execute a payment from a URI without clearly displaying the amount and address and requiring some form of confirmation from the user.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
oleganza

Activity: 200
Merit: 104

Software design and user experience.

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2013, 07:57:32 AM

An idea: the wallet app may keep in memory a collection of decrypted keys for a total amount "up to 10 BTC" (configurable), that can be used to pay without entering the password. If you want to pay more, you enter the password. So for regular small payments, you won't be bothered with a password and don't need to triple-check the amount. For larger payments, a password request will pop up which will make you more careful. So, if you are buying a sandwich for 34 BTC instead of 34 mBTC, then you will get an unexpected dialog box: "You are about to spend 34 000 mBTC, please confirm with a password". "mBTC" can be used to bring extra attention to the amount ("why is it so big?! ah, okay, it's correct"), but, admittedly, can be very confusing until people get used to mBTC in daily operations.

This is equivalent to using two separate wallets, but more convenient.

Bitcoin analytics: blog.oleganza.com / 1TipsuQ7CSqfQsjA9KU5jarSB1AnrVLLo
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2013, 10:38:45 AM

I agree. The only place where I* encode amounts in my QR code is at http://pay.thebutterzone.com - so you see the exchange rate, put in the USD amount, it converts it to BTC and regens the QR. You can double-check the math if you want.

*or rather, my host, which does allow the setting of a commission, that I left at 0.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
blockbet.net

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Admin at blockbet.net

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2013, 06:44:15 PM

One other kind of abuse with the QR codes is simply replacing the code with another one, without anyone noticing. Imagine a store cashier that has a QR code somewhere, an attacker will only need to distract the clerk for a second and then put a sticker of his own Bitcoin QR code on top of the store's QR code. No-one will know the difference until a few bitcoin have disappeared, and the thief will be gone by then.

I also really would like a system that would ask me for a password when dealing with large amounts. I need to maintain a fair number of bitcoins on my hot wallet, make a lot of transactions daily, and even if I'm very careful, it's only a matter of time when I'll accidentally send 17 bitcoins to somebody instead of 1.7.

Bitcoin Sports Betting online at www.blockbet.net, featuring NBA, NHL, UFC, football (soccer) and international competitions. Fast payouts directly to your wallet, great win odds, no need to register or deposit. Bet in just a few clicks now!
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 06:50:07 PM

Perhaps i am missing something? But wouldn't you see that your balance is incorrect as soon as you pay?

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2013, 06:51:11 PM

QR code behind the register, or electronically displayed each time. Can't cover what you can't get at.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
Snowfire (OP)

Activity: 122
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 10:36:08 PM

The QR code in question was used by Bitmit (note: I am not accusing them of anything; the amount encoded was in this case the correct one.) The wallet software was Andreas Schildbach's Android app. Perhaps a confirmation screen in said software would be a good patch.

I honestly don't see Bitcoin transactions happening in brick-and-mortar businesses. The time to clear a transaction is just too long. This is not a problem for online businesses, however.

BTC:1Ca1YU6rCqCHniNj6BvypHbaHYp32t2ubp XRP: rpVbjBotUFCoi9xPu3BqYXZhTLpgZbQpoZ
LTC:LRNTGhyymtNQ7uWeMQXdoEfP5Mryx2c62i :FC: 6qzaJCrowtyepN5LgdpQaTy94JuxmKmdF7
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 01:29:07 PM

There is a confirmation screen in that app, and there has always been one. How did you manage to go direct from scanning a QRcode to sending a transaction?
ufmace

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 07:37:56 PM

The QR code in question was used by Bitmit (note: I am not accusing them of anything; the amount encoded was in this case the correct one.) The wallet software was Andreas Schildbach's Android app. Perhaps a confirmation screen in said software would be a good patch.

I honestly don't see Bitcoin transactions happening in brick-and-mortar businesses. The time to clear a transaction is just too long. This is not a problem for online businesses, however.

There's a nice bit about that in the Wiki:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Myths#Point_of_sale_with_bitcoins_isn.27t_possible_because_of_the_10_minute_wait_for_confirmation.

Basically, for purchases of modest value, it is considered reasonably safe to go through with the physical transaction without any confirmations, just watching for the transaction and any double-spends. Getting away with a double-spend in those conditions is difficult enough that nobody would bother to do it just for something worth significantly less than, say, the current block reward.
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 08:51:35 PM

tl;dr: people don't care about fraud with petty cash.

Just wanted to toss in my own 0.02 btc:

A while ago i spent a couple weeks in Hong Kong, and got used to a nifty little thingy called the Octopus Card.
Basically, a contact-less prepaid debit card for petty cash. You could use that thing just about anywhere, the underground, busses, McDonald's, vending machines, you name it.

And you know what? Nobody, literally not a single person (including myself) ever bothered even looking at what amount got charged. With minor amounts, you just don't care, the comfort of "it just works" outweighs whatever risk of fraud there might have been.

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 10:17:12 PM

A customer should always double check his receipt before he leaves to make sure everything is right.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: