Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 09:37:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL ready to ship?  (Read 10331 times)
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 07:45:15 AM

What I'm interested now is that 28nm helveticoin asic offer

Now we know that avalon can basically follow their schedule with almost no delay, that is respectable speed. If they managed to quickly push the 28nm product out in same timeframe (4 month), BFL will have a hard time. If I understand it correct, there will be at least 3 vendor building those ASIC machines and put at least 1000 TH on network by summer/autumn

Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Dalkore
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026

Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2013, 08:05:53 AM

What I'm interested now is that 28nm helveticoin asic offer

Now we know that avalon can basically follow their schedule with almost no delay, that is respectable speed. If they managed to quickly push the 28nm product out in same timeframe (4 month), BFL will have a hard time. If I understand it correct, there will be at least 3 vendor building those ASIC machines and put at least 1000 TH on network by summer/autumn

28nm helveticoin asic offer

Tell me more?

Hosting: Low as $60.00 per KW - Link
Transaction List: jayson3 +5 - ColdHardMetal +3 - Nolo +2 - CoinHoarder +1 - Elxiliath +1 - tymm0 +1 - Johnniewalker +1 - Oscer +1 - Davidj411 +1 - BitCoiner2012 +1 - dstruct2k +1 - Philj +1 - camolist +1 - exahash +1 - Littleshop +1 - Severian +1 - DebitMe +1 - lepenguin +1 - StringTheory +1 - amagimetals +1 - jcoin200 +1 - serp +1 - klintay +1 - -droid- +1 - FlutterPie +1
Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 02:22:38 PM

Here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=146371.0

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
tcp_rst

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 09:52:51 PM

TCP RST, you can look it up.

It is at about 3/7/2013 at 11 o'clock.

Look through the shouts archive. You'll see the statements refereed to there.

---------------------

As for your comments, I don't really care what you think. Truth hurts I guess.
Yes, obviously you don't care since you took the time to respond [/sarcasm]
Never said he didn't say it, but it was an offhand comment in the middle of intensive chat about gaming consoles which you conveniently ignore.  I'm not a BFL defender, I'm a PuertoLibre criticizer. You're just here to be a dick and get attention-that's the problem I have.  There are a lot here like you, I know, but you're just the most annoying and obvious in the threads that interest me.
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 10:06:54 PM

---------------------

Gotta put new found BFL defenders in their place.

Never said he didn't say it,
You strongly implied it, yes.

Now that you have confirmed it for yourself, you are "enlightened" as to that situation.

but it was an offhand comment in the middle of intensive chat about gaming consoles which you conveniently ignore.
Irrelevant and immaterial to the matter at hand.

I'm not a BFL defender, I'm a PuertoLibre criticizer.
A puddle of Crap by any other name still remains crap.

You're just here to be a dick and get attention-that's the problem I have.  There are a lot here like you, I know, but you're just the most annoying and obvious in the threads that interest me.
I am blushing.

Use the ignore button when facing inconvenient truths. I want people to tell me if it can turn purple or not.

You seem to be turning into a BFL defender. If that is so, I don't really care. But if you start behaving irrationally for that cause, I'll just have to point it out just like any other circumstance.

If knowing about BFL possibly cutting chips is an "offense", then whenever you see my name, yell at the top of your lungs and kick in your screen.

Repeat as frequently as necessary.

Edit: In fact, do this if you ever see Mr. Teal or Grnbrg doing the same (reporting on new information). I know the facts and "breaking news" does tend bother some. I know ignorance of a situation is bliss...I suppose.
BootyCall

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 10:14:59 PM

---------------------

Never said he didn't say it, but it was an offhand comment in the middle of intensive chat about gaming consoles which you conveniently ignore.  I'm not a BFL defender, I'm a PuertoLibre criticizer. You're just here to be a dick and get attention-that's the problem I have.  There are a lot here like you, I know, but you're just the most annoying and obvious in the threads that interest me.
Its true Puerto. I'm a BFL-hater and even I think you're just being a dick.  A quite obviously insecure one at that.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 10:21:13 PM

So many BFl cheerleaders in here. Or PL haters lol...either way i'm too here to expose BFL for their bullshit.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 10:37:08 PM

---------------------

Its true Puerto. I'm a BFL-hater and even I think you're just being a dick.  A quite obviously insecure one at that.
I think I am honored. Though I will have to check with my therapist to make sure if I am or am not honored?
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 10:38:42 PM
Last edit: March 09, 2013, 11:17:45 PM by PuertoLibre

So many BFl cheerleaders in here. Or PL haters lol...either way i'm too here to expose BFL for their bullshit.
Join my Posse.

I just don't know what the Posse is about yet. Perhaps you should start selling PL merchandise? Make a whole franchise out of it.

I might be more popular than the Pope. Well, ex-pope.
mrb
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2013, 01:23:36 AM

I believe when I see it...

There, you can see it. Josh tweeted a pictures of the packaged chips a few minutes ago (source: https://twitter.com/ButterflyLabs/status/310549500311789570 )

BootyCall

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 01:33:56 AM

I think I am honored. Though I will have to check with my therapist to make sure if I am or am not honored?
Actually I really couldn't care less about BFL.  Chaps like you are a professional fascination to me so I poke just to see what happens.  You and your "posse" carry on.
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 02:17:55 AM

I like this picture, where is it come from?

1l1l11ll1l
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2013, 02:30:18 AM

The do exist....

http://ow.ly/i/1EM8o

Entropy-uc

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 03:58:13 AM

There, you can see it. Josh tweeted a pictures of the packaged chips a few minutes ago (source: https://twitter.com/ButterflyLabs/status/310549500311789570 )

Zoom up on the full sized image and look at the edge of each die.  That is the ugliest underfill job I have ever seen on chips.  They are going to have nasty voiding on the C4 bumps and rel problems out the wazoo.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 04:37:36 AM

[img ]http://static.ow.ly/photos/normal/1EM8o.jpg[/img]
Zoom up on the full sized image and look at the edge of each die.  That is the ugliest underfill job I have ever seen on chips.  They are going to have nasty voiding on the C4 bumps and rel problems out the wazoo.
Can you really tell that from a straight up shot of a blurry pic, or are you just trolling?

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Entropy-uc

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 04:56:59 AM

Can you really tell that from a straight up shot of a blurry pic, or are you just trolling?

I would also like to know this.

Yes, I can really tell.  A properly underfilled chip will have a smooth line where it was dispensed on one side, and an equally smooth line on the other side where the epoxy flowed through. The clumping and discontinuities in the images make it likely there are voids.  To be certain you would have to inspect the die with CSAM.  The epoxy should develop a clean curve up the sidewall of the die as well - this shows good adhesion to the silicon, and ensures that the epoxy doesn't interfere with the heat sink mounting.

It's really ugly. If I was in Josh's shoes I'd be screaming mad, checking every chip to make sure the underfill isn't higher than the die back side, and demanding CSAM inspections from the assembly house to prove the packages are free of voids.
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 05:11:32 AM

High res if you want to see what he's talking about.
https://forums.butterflylabs.com/dbtgallery.php?do=view_image&id=658&gal=gallery
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2013, 05:11:59 AM

I would also like to know this.

Yes, I can really tell.  A properly underfilled chip will have a smooth line where it was dispensed on one side, and an equally smooth line on the other side where the epoxy flowed through. The clumping and discontinuities in the images make it likely there are voids.  To be certain you would have to inspect the die with CSAM.  The epoxy should develop a clean curve up the sidewall of the die as well - this shows good adhesion to the silicon, and ensures that the epoxy doesn't interfere with the heat sink mounting.

It's really ugly. If I was in Josh's shoes I'd be screaming mad, checking every chip to make sure the underfill isn't higher than the die back side, and demanding CSAM inspections from the assembly house to prove the packages are free of voids.

Cost aside, wouldn't that cause further delay? They could inspect them during the built process. If a unit requires 8 chips, plug in 7 that look okay and 1 (?). This way two issues could be solved with one (insert noun, but not stone).
Entropy-uc

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 05:18:55 AM

Cost aside, wouldn't that cause further delay? They could inspect them during the built process. If a unit requires 8 chips, plug in 7 that look okay and 1 (?). This way two issues could be solved with one (insert noun, but not stone).

It's a reliability problem.  Thermal cycling of the chips will cause the underfill to delaminate at the void sites and break solder joints.  So you put it all together and everything looks sweet, then a month or 2 down the road the chip goes completely flakely on you and eventually fails completely.

The only way to know what is going on is to inspect some of the die using CSAM.  It's a non-destructive process and can be done with a sample of packages so it's not the end of the world.  Unless they are all full of voids...
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 06:29:07 AM

I like this picture, where is it come from?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHyN8PizZVY
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: