Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:08:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Home made bitcoin miner...  (Read 15408 times)
opentoe (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2013, 03:55:55 AM

My co-worker said he has a home made BTC miner with ASIC chips. Everything is done he said except programming it. I'm not a programmer, so I don't know what he means by "programming it" but are there any people here that can help him out? He and his friend bought all the parts/chips from China already. Have the board all done and casing and just needs programming done. His friend's family is into an electronics business and was able to get their hands on ASIC chips according to what he said because of those connections. He told me things about a J-tag USB identifier and all stuff that doesn't make sense to me. If you want to maybe help in this little project, let me know and I'll pass on his contact information to you. I think they have parts for about 20 inits. That's all they wanted to build I guess.

Need help with your Newznab usenet indexer? http://www.newznabforums.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cdog

Activity: 1036
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 03, 2013, 10:16:43 AM

These are specifically Bitcoin mining ASIC chips? Because they make ASIC chips for thousands of different applications, each is unique...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application-specific_integrated_circuit
opentoe (OP)
Legendary

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2013, 11:28:00 PM

These are specifically Bitcoin mining ASIC chips? Because they make ASIC chips for thousands of different applications, each is unique...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application-specific_integrated_circuit

I'm just going by what my friend has told me. He said him and his friend have everything needed to make their miners but lacking the programming. I'm not sure what they were going to do when they cam to that point, but I would have just forwarded his contact information to whoever wanted to help out with the programming and let them talk it out.

Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 04, 2013, 11:35:25 PM

Ehh... I'm pretty sure your friend doesn't have what he thinks he has. ASIC chips need to be designed for Bitcoin mining, they need to be manufactured for it and can only be mass-produced in the hundreds of thousands, you can't just go out and buy any ASIC and reprogram it, in fact, you can't program them at all outside of writing software to support it.

Perhaps your friend has an FPGA and needs a bitstream programmed for it?

mrb
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2013, 03:57:51 AM

My co-worker said he has a home made BTC miner with ASIC chips. Everything is done he said except programming it. I'm not a programmer, so I don't know what he means by "programming it" but are there any people here that can help him out? He and his friend bought all the parts/chips from China already. Have the board all done and casing and just needs programming done. His friend's family is into an electronics business and was able to get their hands on ASIC chips according to what he said because of those connections. He told me things about a J-tag USB identifier and all stuff that doesn't make sense to me. If you want to maybe help in this little project, let me know and I'll pass on his contact information to you. I think they have parts for about 20 inits. That's all they wanted to build I guess.

Why do you not let "your friend" come here to the forums to ask for help? It sounds like "your friend" is incredibly resourceful and lucky if he managed to get his hands on "ASIC chips", to design a PCB, and even has cosmetic details like the casing done, but yet he is incredibly bad at knowing where to reach for help (this community / forum) to finish the "programming"?

No company sells mining ASIC chips yet (maybe ASICminer in the future, but not today). I think you are a con artist who invented a ridiculous and implausible story to hope to attract developers and con them to pay to get a "development board" to "finish the programming"  Roll Eyes
opentoe (OP)
Legendary

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2013, 03:12:51 AM

Why do you not let "your friend" come here to the forums to ask for help? It sounds like "your friend" is incredibly resourceful and lucky if he managed to get his hands on "ASIC chips", to design a PCB, and even has cosmetic details like the casing done, but yet he is incredibly bad at knowing where to reach for help (this community / forum) to finish the "programming"?

No company sells mining ASIC chips yet (maybe ASICminer in the future, but not today). I think you are a con artist who invented a ridiculous and implausible story to hope to attract developers and con them to pay to get a "development board" to "finish the programming"  Roll Eyes

You accuse me of being con artist? Go read any of my previous posts, does ANY of them seem to be of a con artist or someone trying to scam anyone? Also, I never asked for anything. All I was going to do was forward my friends contact information to whoever could program the hardware. My friend is willing to pay for the programming and would give a free miner/unit to the programmer. How in the world could this ever be a con? What, some programmer is just going to work for nothing or something? Sorry bud, you are way off the mark here.

mokahless

Activity: 471
Merit: 256

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 09:37:30 PM
Last edit: March 09, 2013, 10:27:05 PM by mokahless

[...]chips. [...]done he said except programming it.[...]bought all the parts/chips from China already. [...] just needs programming done. [...] into an electronics business and was able to get their hands on ASIC chips according to what he said because of those connections. He told me things about a J-tag USB identifier and all stuff that doesn't make sense to me. If you want to maybe help in this little project, let me know and I'll pass on his contact information to you. I think they have parts for about 20 units. That's all they wanted to build I guess.

Your friend is into electronics and doesn't know the difference between an ASIC and an FPGA. This is very obviously several FPGA chips he has. It sounds like he bought 20 FPGA chips and needs help programming them. He better hope they are Spartan-6 LX150 chips or he is going to be very disappointed with the hashrate. If they are, though, he should be able to achieve over 4GH/s. This means he better hurry to get them online before the hashrate jumps as larger companies roll out the ASICs they have been developing for months.

Anyway, I personally can't help him but I'm sure many on the forum can. FPGA mining has been around for a while.

For your friend's information, an ASIC is an application specific integrated circuit. It is build to do one thing. In other words, it is "programmed" in hardware and created already able to do what it needs to do. The advantages are low power and die size and they are often used in lower power applications or in markets where competition on power efficiency is important.
FPGAs are designed to be flexible. They can't do anything. They need to be programmed in order to be able to execute the code given to them properly. This wastes space and makes them inefficient.
Do not confuse general-purpose CPUs and GPUs as FPGAs. They are ASICs. They cannot be reprogrammed. This doesn't mean that they aren't designed to be able to do a broad amount of things.
That is the extent of my own knowledge. If you are actually interested, consult wikipedia or ask someone else.

Edit: @DeepCeleron: Don't be a smartass. Especially if you have nothing useful to add.
I've edited this post to say this instead of posting new because I don't want to interrupt the now back on topic later posts.

deepceleron
Legendary

Merit: 1028

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2013, 11:41:14 PM

I'm mining using an ASIC. Code name Juniper. It is an Application Specific Integrated Circuit manufactured at TMSC Taiwan using their 40nm process, and includes 1 GB of memory on it's custom-designed circuit board too.
hardcore-fs

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2013, 11:47:20 PM

You accuse me of being con artist? Go read any of my previous posts, does ANY of them seem to be of a con artist or someone trying to scam anyone? Also, I never asked for anything. All I was going to do was forward my friends contact information to whoever could program the hardware. My friend is willing to pay for the programming and would give a free miner/unit to the programmer. How in the world could this ever be a con? What, some programmer is just going to work for nothing or something? Sorry bud, you are way off the mark here.

Relax man... He is entitled to his opinion, that does not mean he is right, and it's certainly no reason to get all worked up about....

Send me a PM with a photo or parts list and I can tell you or your friend what is needed as regards programming.

BTC:1PCTzvkZUFuUF7DA6aMEVjBUUp35wN5JtF
mrb
Legendary

Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2013, 02:33:57 AM

opentoe: true, your history is not suspicious. But there have been reports by forum moderators of random bitcointalk.org accounts getting hijacked (via password bruteforcing, etc) and used by scammers in any way to run their scams. Bottom line, I do not trust your (or your friend's) claims. Perhaps you simply misunderstood the technical details of what your friend is doing (eg. as others pointed out he may have FPGAs, not ASICs).

I'm mining using an ASIC. Code name Juniper. It is an Application Specific Integrated Circuit manufactured at TMSC Taiwan using their 40nm process, and includes 1 GB of memory on it's custom-designed circuit board too.

Obviously, "ASIC" in the context of this thread means a Bitcoin ASIC, not any ASIC such as GPUs, CPUs, etc.
jjiimm_64
Legendary

Activity: 1876

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 03:51:22 AM

opentoe: true, your history is not suspicious. But there have been reports by forum moderators of random bitcointalk.org accounts getting hijacked (via password bruteforcing, etc) and used by scammers in any way to run their scams. Bottom line, I do not trust your (or your friend's) claims. Perhaps you simply misunderstood the technical details of what your friend is doing (eg. as others pointed out he may have FPGAs, not ASICs).

Obviously, "ASIC" in the context of this thread means a Bitcoin ASIC, not any ASIC such as GPUs, CPUs, etc.

Yup... i think my toaster has an asic inside Smiley

1jimbitm6hAKTjKX4qurCNQubbnk2YsFw
opentoe (OP)
Legendary

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2013, 06:49:07 AM

I'm supposed to meet up with my friend soon, as he is going to lend me his project/hardware. I'll take some pictures of these chips he has and send them to the few people that asked to see them who could possibly help. Hey, I can't lose here and neither can the person who would be able to help him out. He/she would get a free ASIC miner out of the deal AND paid for programming it. This all sits on the fence right now until I can confirm what really those chips are. I'm sure the chips will have some identifiable marks on them and I'll snap close up pictures of them. I know many people said it is impossible to get or buy ASIC chips for this purpose, but it is also hard for me to believe that someone could know EVERY possible manufacturer and way to get those chips. Hey, I'm hoping for the best and wish it true but if it is all the wrong hardware and just old FPGA chips then so be it. From the looks of it Butterfly won't deliver anything for a very long time and Avalon well, is just a one timer right now from what I've seen. I'll take. I'll let you guys know when I get the hardware.

ChipGeek

Activity: 198
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 04:02:45 PM

I'm supposed to meet up with my friend soon, as he is going to lend me his project/hardware. I'll take some pictures of these chips he has and send them to the few people that asked to see them who could possibly help. Hey, I can't lose here and neither can the person who would be able to help him out. He/she would get a free ASIC miner out of the deal AND paid for programming it. This all sits on the fence right now until I can confirm what really those chips are. I'm sure the chips will have some identifiable marks on them and I'll snap close up pictures of them. I know many people said it is impossible to get or buy ASIC chips for this purpose, but it is also hard for me to believe that someone could know EVERY possible manufacturer and way to get those chips. Hey, I'm hoping for the best and wish it true but if it is all the wrong hardware and just old FPGA chips then so be it. From the looks of it Butterfly won't deliver anything for a very long time and Avalon well, is just a one timer right now from what I've seen. I'll take. I'll let you guys know when I get the hardware.

Please send me photos of the hardware.  The photos of the chips themselves must clearly show that markings (letters and numbers) on the top of the chips. 

Tip jar: 1ChipGeeK7PDxaAWG4VgsTi31SfJ6peKHw
opentoe (OP)
Legendary

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2013, 03:09:57 AM

Please send me photos of the hardware.  The photos of the chips themselves must clearly show that markings (letters and numbers) on the top of the chips. 

I definitely will. I spoke to him today and he's getting all their notes and stuff together. I'm waiting eagerly myself on seeing this first hand.

daybyter
Legendary

Activity: 965

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 12:47:41 PM

1 GB Ram? Hmmh...that should be good enough for a litecoin miner, too...

PsychoticBoy
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1010

Parental Advisory Explicit Content

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 12:51:08 PM

He is talking about a GPU, AMD uses ASIC's in their Graphic Cards Wink
server
Legendary

Activity: 892
Merit: 1002

1 BTC =1 BTC

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 04:12:21 PM

He is talking about a GPU, AMD uses ASIC's in their Graphic Cards Wink

Wink

opentoe (OP)
Legendary

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2013, 01:34:22 AM

I received the board with the chip on it and some notes that came along with it. Says ASIC right on the board and it looks like there was a heat sink on the chip at one point but looks like a little glue on there. I want to remove the glue without destroying the chip. I know Acetone works great with removing just about anything but will that affect the chip itself? Several people did email indicating they may be able to help with this project and I'm this much closer to maybe getting something done. If you are a good programmer, can make/create drivers so we can interface with this let me know. I'll respond to the people who already messaged me. Of course once it is complete you'll get a free miner. NOT a scam here. Willing to pay and very serious about this. This is NOT a big operation like Avalon or others. We are just a few tech guys that wanted to give this a try and are stuck at the programming/interface portion here.

I will take some hi-res pictures.

Thanks

freequant

Activity: 770

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 07:06:06 AM

We are just a few tech guys that wanted to give this a try and are stuck at the programming/interface portion here.

Oh, so now you are one of the founders, and a tech guy at it?
Strange, because you claimed to be a bystander having no clue what your friends were up to just a few posts ago...
jasinlee

Activity: 742

Its as easy as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 07:11:47 AM

If you find a method of convincing devs to write you a free usb/wifi/rs232/etc module. Let me know how you did it since you will have just convinced someone to put in a whole lot of time into your project for free. Just sayin.

BTC 1JASiNZxmAN1WBS4dmGEDoPpzN3GV7dnjX DVC 1CxxZzqcy7YEVXfCn5KvgRxjeWvPpniK3                     Earn Devcoins Devtome.com
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: