Bitcoin Forum
October 01, 2024, 10:36:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Upgrade bitcoin.org  (Read 11385 times)
blockgenesis (OP)

Activity: 285
Merit: 250

Bitcoin.org maintainer

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 03:56:27 AM

This is so condescending that it is borderline insulting. Give people as much rope as they want. But include a big disclaimer.

Maybe I don't explain myself correctly. But what I mean is that there is a point where marketing decreases the quality of the information. We need Bitcoin users that are well informed and that play well with Bitcoin. Both to actually protects us and to protect those users, and thus, the Bitcoin economy that is already enough volatile. Growing, yes. But growing strong.

I didn't say that it's necessarily a bad idea to let people find exchanges right from bitcoin.org . I'm just raising concerns so that if we do it, we try do to it well.

Donation: 18XXXQs1vAQGBAZbXKA322r9Zy1nZac2H4
blockgenesis (OP)

Bitcoin.org maintainer

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 04:00:45 AM

Gratz, nice work !!

Very interresting.. much more attractive.  Keep up the good work !

Thanks all! I'm glad you enjoy it, indeed let's continue!

(and thanks for the donations by the way, someone already sent me a full BTC! Very appreciated)

jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1099

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 04:08:47 AM

Small request:

On the "Choose Your Wallet" page, put the name of each client underneath each icon.

It is annoying to hover the mouse over each icon, just to find the names.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
blockgenesis (OP)

Bitcoin.org maintainer

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 04:11:44 AM

Small request:

On the "Choose Your Wallet" page, put the name of each client underneath each icon.

Will see what I can do. At the same time that I will improve the warning button.

misterbigg
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 05:02:13 AM

Maybe I don't explain myself correctly. But what I mean is that there is a point where marketing decreases the quality of the information. We need Bitcoin users that are well informed and that play well with Bitcoin. Both to actually protects us and to protect those users, and thus, the Bitcoin economy that is already enough volatile. Growing, yes. But growing strong.

Meanwhile, as the residents of the ivory tower proclaim "slow, conservative growth" as the best path for Bitcoin (promising an official version 1.0 "sometime later this decade") certain factions have other plans:

blockgenesis (OP)

Bitcoin.org maintainer

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 05:13:17 AM

Meanwhile, as the residents of the ivory tower proclaim "slow, conservative growth" as the best path for Bitcoin (promising an official version 1.0 "sometime later this decade") certain factions have other plans:

Not quite sure you understand.. Stress testing is also what devs do. And SatoshiDice is a business with a concrete market, not pure "buy Bitcoin" speculation.

misterbigg
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 05:18:05 AM

Stress testing is also what devs do. And SatoshiDice is a business with a concrete market, not pure "buy Bitcoin" speculation.

What I'm saying is that although the developers and associated foundation feel that slow and conservative growth is best, SatoshiDICE meanwhile is pumping its service and trying to get as much volume of transactions into the block chain as possible.

So even if some consensus is for slow and conservative growth, there is already one business which does not throttle its growth at all. There will certainly be more. Given that there are commercial interests which will inevitably add fuel to the fire, does it still make sense that we should try to control Bitcoin's growth by structuring the message to discourage casual users?

blockgenesis (OP)

Bitcoin.org maintainer

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 05:53:09 AM

What I'm saying is that although the developers and associated foundation feel that slow and conservative growth is best, SatoshiDICE meanwhile is pumping its service and trying to get as much volume of transactions into the block chain as possible.

So even if some consensus is for slow and conservative growth, there is already one business which does not throttle its growth at all. There will certainly be more. Given that there are commercial interests which will inevitably add fuel to the fire, does it still make sense that we should try to control Bitcoin's growth by structuring the message to discourage casual users?

We can't control Bitcoin growth, and we shouldn't. We can however avoid contributing to potential failures, and help preventing them.
Which means, giving as much accurate informations to the user and help sustainable economies to develop.

misterbigg
Legendary

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 05:59:15 AM

We can't control Bitcoin growth, and we shouldn't. We can however avoid contributing to potential failures, and help preventing them. Which means, giving as much accurate informations to the user and help sustainable economies to develop.

Now this, I can agree with 100%
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2013, 05:45:23 PM

I would like to participate by translating the new bitcoin.org page to Spanish, but I don't know to who may I speak with for the purpose, thank you.

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 05:48:49 PM

Small request:

Definitely this! At first i tought they were just icons, i was like "nice, and where are the links?" Put the name of the clients, their description and the link in the page, without having to hover the squares.
Omg, i just noticed that the squares with the ? aren't "new, still to unveil clients" but warnings, important warnings. Nonono, not good, why are they so hidden?

And well, fix the problem grue reported, the three squares going outside the white background. Is it intentional? Well anyone looking at that page will think "oh look they misplaced the three buttons, they go outside the white background

blockgenesis (OP)

Bitcoin.org maintainer

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 06:46:04 PM

I would like to participate by translating the new bitcoin.org page to Spanish, but I don't know to who may I speak with for the purpose, thank you.

I will give instructions soon. A few technical improvements are still required from my side, and it should not take long.

paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2013, 07:19:10 PM

I will give instructions soon. A few technical improvements are still required from my side, and it should not take long.

I understand and thanks for the fast reply.

Btw, if the site has a unified language file we will be able to translate to many other languages, with the help of bitcoiners on Rugatu.
To give you an example: http://www.rugatu.com/questions/6222/translate-into-your-language

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
blockgenesis (OP)

Bitcoin.org maintainer

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 07:23:07 PM

I will definitively work on most of these points in the next days.

blockgenesis (OP)

Bitcoin.org maintainer

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 07:43:20 PM

I understand and thanks for the fast reply.

Btw, if the site has a unified language file we will be able to translate to many other languages, with the help of bitcoiners on Rugatu.
To give you an example: http://www.rugatu.com/questions/6222/translate-into-your-language

This indeed looks good. But in practise, I fear this will end up being harder to work with as bitcoin.org is not a unified webapp, but a website with changing and extensive texts. I wouldn't want a out-of-date translated version to half show english content. And using variables when the files are already almost pure easy-to-translate texts sounds more complicate to me (and might be a nightmare to build with jekyll at a first glance), while giving us less flexibility to adapt the website for specific language needs.

I think I can provide something that will be easy enough to work with for anyone, while being technically efficient.

rme

Activity: 756
Merit: 504

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 07:45:38 PM

I can also help in the Spanish translation. Contact me via MP if I can contribute.
blockgenesis (OP)

Bitcoin.org maintainer

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 07:47:26 PM

I can also help in the Spanish translation. Contact me via MP if I can contribute.

Just.. awesome!

paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2013, 07:51:08 PM

This indeed looks good. But in practise, I fear this will end up being harder to work with as bitcoin.org is not a unified webapp, but a website with changing and extensive texts. I wouldn't want a out-of-date translated version to half show english content. And using variables when the files are already almost pure easy-to-translate texts sounds more complicate to me (and might be a nightmare to build with jekyll at a first glance), while giving us less flexibility to adapt the website for specific language needs.

I understand, the updating will be handled the same way Bitcoin developers do, always leave new content clearly delineated so that everyone can catch up and translate.

Whatever solution you find is fine by me.

blockgenesis (OP)

Bitcoin.org maintainer

View Profile
March 26, 2013, 07:26:08 PM

I think that weusecoins and bitcoin.org are now ready to call for translations.

Here is the thread : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=159129.0

paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2013, 07:51:57 PM

I think that weusecoins and bitcoin.org are now ready to call for translations.

Here is the thread : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=159129.0

Got it

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: