Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 12:27:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it illegal for someone to hack my BTC wallet?  (Read 15197 times)
X7
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1009

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone

View Profile
July 15, 2016, 01:52:54 AM

I'm not clear on this one point.  If somebody got a hold of my private key and moved funds from an address that I claimed on the ledger, is that against the law?  At what point could that be considered a crime?  For example, if they hacked into my machine and stolen the private key; if they sniped the pk while snooping on a public access connection; brute forced the pk into existence; or just plane snapped a shot of my qr code over my shoulder....ect  In which of those examples could I pursue prosecution for the theft of my coin?  

Depends on the legislation/law where you live, in developed countries for the most part. YES

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the world, and lose his own soul?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mixan
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

TRUMP IS DOING THE BEST! MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

View Profile
July 15, 2016, 02:34:26 AM

The law is not clear when it comes to cyber crimes. It still has gray areas. But it better then when it use to be when the internet first started out with prosecuting these hackers of accounts and cyber attackers.

The parasite hates three things: free markets, free will, and free men.
olubams

Activity: 798
Merit: 503

View Profile
July 16, 2016, 08:17:29 PM

I'm not clear on this one point.  If somebody got a hold of my private key and moved funds from an address that I claimed on the ledger, is that against the law?  At what point could that be considered a crime?  For example, if they hacked into my machine and stolen the private key; if they sniped the pk while snooping on a public access connection; brute forced the pk into existence; or just plane snapped a shot of my qr code over my shoulder....ect  In which of those examples could I pursue prosecution for the theft of my coin?  
From the moral point of view in my own opinion, it is wrong however morality does not change anything but issue is that can it be proven in the court of law so better still I suggest you try other more secure ways to keep it safe to make more secure and avoid reoccurrence of such. My 2 cents...
Superbitzz

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 19, 2016, 01:19:22 PM

From the moral point of view in my own opinion, it is wrong however morality does not change anything but issue is that can it be proven in the court of law so better still I suggest you try other more secure ways to keep it safe to make more secure and avoid reoccurrence of such. My 2 cents...
i think its not only morally as well as in law it is not legal to hake some one wallet. i think it is just like if you are stealing something from someone. so i strongly against  the act of hacking one one wallet.
Bitcotalk

Activity: 966
Merit: 517

View Profile
July 19, 2016, 09:24:46 PM

It is illegal for someone to hack your bitcoin, as it is your bitcoins and the person who steal will have to be treated the same as are treated by stealing other currencies.
Universat

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 23, 2016, 11:34:33 PM

yes it is totally illegal is just like if some one is going to steal your ATM card and code, because you put your crypto currency there and no one has te right to get access to it legally.
marky89

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
August 27, 2016, 08:55:07 PM

yes it is totally illegal is just like if some one is going to steal your ATM card and code, because you put your crypto currency there and no one has te right to get access to it legally.

Sure, theft is illegal. Generally, so is hacking someone. The trouble in this case, though, is: can you prove that theft, or a hack occurred? That may not always be possible. Users compromise their private keys in a number of ways -- most often by exposing themselves to malware, including malicious mobile wallet apps -- but not always. If you can't prove the method of compromise, and further, the identity of the attacker, you don't have a case.

And then, past that, law enforcement is pretty ignorant with this stuff. Unless huge sums of money are involved, nobody cares.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
August 28, 2016, 12:45:09 AM

Sure, theft is illegal. Generally, so is hacking someone. The trouble in this case, though, is: can you prove that theft, or a hack occurred? That may not always be possible. Users compromise their private keys in a number of ways -- most often by exposing themselves to malware, including malicious mobile wallet apps -- but not always. If you can't prove the method of compromise, and further, the identity of the attacker, you don't have a case.

And then, past that, law enforcement is pretty ignorant with this stuff. Unless huge sums of money are involved, nobody cares.

Even when law officials care, they usually are incompetent.
Lots of exchanges went bust with huge amounts of money hacked, I don't see any recoveries being made by law enforcement agencies.  Grin
BellaBitBit

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 29, 2016, 04:32:36 AM

Even if it cannot be proven, it is theft. Plain and simple illegal shenanigans.

I love Bitcoin
abugseuf

Activity: 238

View Profile
August 30, 2016, 08:03:56 AM

Even when law officials care, they usually are incompetent.
Lots of exchanges went bust with huge amounts of money hacked, I don't see any recoveries being made by law enforcement agencies.  Grin
because the law and enforcement agencies have no concern with them. these exchanges are not recognize by any state, but still hacking of wallets are morally not good and it is still illegal activity.
ayesha sadiqa

Activity: 154

View Profile
August 30, 2016, 10:07:18 AM

hacking your wallet mean that some one is stealing your bank ATM Card and code.
Theorin

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 31, 2016, 07:28:21 AM

This is illegal but it is quite difficult to prove and find who stole your Bitcoin. These hackers know how to hide their tracks well, so call a very small chance.  Undecided
YTBitcoin

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 31, 2016, 11:28:46 AM

It is illegal for someone to hack your bitcoin, as it is your bitcoins and the person who steal will have to be treated the same as are treated by stealing other currencies.

I agree with you bitcoin is a currency so any one who will take your bitcoins without any permission of you will steal it and he will have to be punished the same as we do in case of money laundering .
StoreBit

Activity: 210

View Profile
September 04, 2016, 08:48:49 PM

I don't see how it is not illegal because you did not give them permission to have it - it is theft.  Governments are working on ways to regulate bitcoin as we speak so hopefully we can get more protection and an avenue for recourse.
yes it is a fact that hacking of bitcoin address is illegal, although you cannot claim it in police as bitcoin is not a legal currency, but still it is just like stealing the pocket wallet of some one, therefore it is also morally not good and it is just like stealing something from someone.
StoreBit

View Profile
September 04, 2016, 08:57:38 PM

I don't see how it is not illegal because you did not give them permission to have it - it is theft.  Governments are working on ways to regulate bitcoin as we speak so hopefully we can get more protection and an avenue for recourse.
yes it is a fact that hacking of bitcoin address is illegal, although you cannot claim it in police as bitcoin is not a legal currency, but still it is just like stealing the pocket wallet of some one, therefore it is also morally not good and it is just like stealing something from someone.
PsursV

Activity: 196

View Profile
September 06, 2016, 06:35:51 PM

Like all other currencies no one is allowed to get your bitcoins and like all other currencies it will also be illegal that someone get your bitcoins.
yes it is a fact that like other currencies bitcoin is also a currency although it is not yet legalize by most of the states and you cannot report it in police station or any where else but still it morally illegal and hope a time will come when governments will legalize it and then government will give good protection to it.
Maesters1-

Activity: 252

View Profile
September 06, 2016, 11:03:42 PM

I agree with you bitcoin is a currency so any one who will take your bitcoins without any permission of you will steal it and he will have to be punished the same as we do in case of money laundering .
yes if some one is hacking your bitcoin it is just like if some one is stealing your wallet, or your bank account which is a big crime and if one caught will be put in jail. but in case of bitcoin i think the result will be different because bitcoin is not a legal currency.
Universat

Activity: 308

View Profile
September 19, 2016, 07:18:21 PM

This is illegal but it is quite difficult to prove and find who stole your Bitcoin. These hackers know how to hide their tracks well, so call a very small chance.  Undecided
it does not matter that either you can prove it or not but morally it is not good and totally illegal and that is enough, it is just a type of stealing some ones bank account.
StoreBit

View Profile
September 19, 2016, 09:48:05 PM

it does not matter that either you can prove it or not but morally it is not good and totally illegal and that is enough, it is just a type of stealing some ones bank account.
yes that is right to say,  as stealing of every thing is wrong and against the law therefore stealing bitcoin is also against the law and not legal and it is also morally not good to steal or hack the bitcoin wallet of some one.
Xester

Activity: 994
Merit: 544

View Profile
September 20, 2016, 06:01:22 AM

Of course it is illegal thing.  There is the intention to steal because of what you just stated.  But there is no or I have not heard of anything or someone that goes to court because of stealing bitcoins.  The question now is how would you retrieve the stolen bitcoins to you?  How will you know who was or were the culprit?  And finally, what would you do now?
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: