Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 11:11:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is Amazon.com still resisting the use of BTC for payment?  (Read 8357 times)
sbtctalk (OP)

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 03, 2016, 07:38:18 AM

i think they don't accept them yet because it is against their TOS

They could just change the ToS themselves. Why are they restricting themselves? I speculate it is due to financial reasons and refund issues. Might be a hassle?

13Sk3gsQ1ogrzmyt3xMVvByxcUvZr98kKN

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
densuj
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 03, 2016, 07:56:32 AM

They could just change the ToS themselves. Why are they restricting themselves? I speculate it is due to financial reasons and refund issues. Might be a hassle?
I think because of bitcoin is still new ( not all of countries in the world give legality using bitcoin) and the bitcoin's price is high fluctuating, they will not take high risk by using bitcoin for payment method.
warwar

Activity: 798
Merit: 505

View Profile
September 03, 2016, 08:09:56 AM

I think because of bitcoin is still new ( not all of countries in the world give legality using bitcoin) and the bitcoin's price is high fluctuating, they will not take high risk by using bitcoin for payment method.

I agree. Price is always fluctuating it is very difficult to earn profits with the sellers if that will happen also He's right bitcoin is not popular in country they dont know how to use it but i disagree a little what if the only put a payment method thru bitcoin whether they use it as a payment method or not.
Gaswuwade

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 03, 2016, 09:21:58 AM

I guess they are on a tight spot, If they accept bitcoin they would be one of the first biggest commercial sites to take it, Some People have a negative opinion in bitcoin and they might take this step negatively and therefore affect the site in a way, I too think they should just take BTC.
drwtsn32

Activity: 476

View Profile
September 03, 2016, 09:47:56 AM

Maybe they are still waiting for the perfect time.
Maybe they are considering the performance of bitcoin in the market and looking for what we call "stability".
umhhppp

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 04, 2016, 12:44:09 PM

I guess they still aren't ready to take the initiative, I mean of course other websites have started tasking BTC and even big ones but nothing like the size of Amazon or EBay, if a company that size take bitcoin maybe it would have an impact on it's membership and public opinion about it "since BTC is still being negatively viewed".
chixka000

Activity: 910
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 04, 2016, 12:52:14 PM

I think they can try to change their TOS? Actually they really can only if they wanted. In my own opinion it is acceptance they may still be doubtful about what can bitcoin gives them will it be a positive or negative.
DOGE12321

Activity: 378

View Profile
September 04, 2016, 12:52:51 PM

IT could be a result of many reasons. They include:

- the volatility of Bitcoin price
- complexity and 'newness' of Bitcoin in this world
- the fact that Bitcoin isn't accepted in some countries.

I think a combination of these factors influences their decision of abstaining from Bitcoin payment on their site.

Smiley
oceanriver

Activity: 223

View Profile
September 04, 2016, 03:46:17 PM

do they even have it in their tos? i highly doubt that to be honest, in my opinion they just are waiting and thinking that bitcoins will not be big
Wendigo
Legendary

Activity: 2604
Merit: 1036

View Profile
September 04, 2016, 04:34:40 PM

Dudes everyone knows where to acquire Amazon gift cards for Bitcoins and that's why the Amazon management doesn't care to include the payment option on the site itself. Also the Bitcoin userbase is tiny compared to the credit and debit card customers.
avikz
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1500

View Profile
September 04, 2016, 04:50:57 PM

The only reason probably is the dynamic nature of the bitcoin price. TO deal with the difference in selling and buying price, amazon needs to prepare a contingency fund. And for a big marketplace like Amazon, the fund volume needs to be really huge. Probably that's why Amazon is not accepting bitcoin as of now.

springgers

Activity: 294

View Profile
September 05, 2016, 07:14:51 PM

it would create tons of issues for amazon if they add it IMO, the legal sources of funds and the claiming issues etc... as well as the impact adding bitcoin might have on their existing user base since bitcoin has a negative image at the current time, I guess they are waiting for BTC to go more mainstream to make a move like this.
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
September 05, 2016, 07:17:38 PM

Is it a business reason? Or perhaps the complexity of bitcoin accounting creating potential issues?

What do you think?
Too low impact to be worth implementing trouble.
Im quite sure of it, heard many stories. Hoevewer when Amazon will have some problems, image problems, stagnancy problem, old-company image, they will innovate even if they would need only pay for it and not gain anything. Then Bitcoin will be very good option.

Smiley
coinsocieties

Activity: 728
Merit: 501

io.ezystayz.com

View Profile
September 05, 2016, 07:25:01 PM

I personally think it is an accounting issue when it comes to accepting bitcoin.  There are so many governments which do not accept bitcoin as a currency so it will fall into another accounting format.  I think this could change in the near future, but there will have to be some government willing to identify bitcoin as a currency.

████████                                         ▄▄▄▄                                                                       
     ██                                                 ███████      ██          ▄▄▄▄                                         
     ██              ████████   ██     ██   ██       ▀▀     ██       ███████       ██     ██   ████████
     ██████              ▄██▀   ██     ██     ▀██▄      ██████   ██      ██       ██     ██           ▄██▀
     ██                  ▄██▀       ██     ██         ▀██▄      ██       ██      ██       ██     ██       ▄██▀   
     ██              ▄██▀           ██     ██  ▄▄       ██      ██       ██      ██       ██     ██   ▄██▀       
     ████████  ████████    ▀█████   ███████      ██▄█   ███████▄█    ▀█████   ████████
                                         █▄    ▄██       ▀▀▀▀           ▀▀       ▀▀▀▀  ▀▀   █▄    ▄██                  
                                           ▀███▀                                                          ▀███▀