Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 07:07:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm on a mission  (Read 942 times)
galaxyAbstractor (OP)

Activity: 147
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2013, 05:32:02 PM

Me and a couple of friends are dreaming about visiting Japan after we've finished college (1.5 years left for 2 of us, 2.5 for 1). I was thinking it would be awesome if I could pay for the trip, or at least the flight tickets, with bitcoin (not necessarily directly, but you get it, I'll exchange to USD to buy). Currently cheapest roundtrip flight tickets from Stockholm, Sweden to Tokyo, Japan in June and back in July is about USD1100.

So what I need is a plan on how to successfully do this. I've been selling some stuff I got but that wont really get me anywhere because I'm already out of stuff that's worth selling. I've thought of starting some sort of company selling domains and web services for bitcoins but now that namecheap accepts bitcoins there is no point to that, I don't think I would be able to compete with them (not to mention the investment you need to start a company).

What do you think? Ideas? Do you think I will make it or not? I got about 2.5 years to complete this mission haha

So far, I got about $320 worth of bitcoins from selling stuff and mining. I do have other savings too but it feels like a bad idea to burn all that right after college instead of saving them and use them for rent etc.

1gaLaxy9csuBTvNLJYoUy6sengQbh1TpV
Pyramining - Invest in mining!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 05:51:58 PM

How about not turning your dream into a gimmick?  Huh
Rothgar

Activity: 374
Merit: 250

Tune in to Neocash Radio

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2013, 07:41:04 PM

How about you sit on the $320 worth of BTC for 2,5 years.  After then you'll be able to afford the flight. 

Visit http://neocashradio.com for the premier weekly bitcoin podcast.
Follow neocashradio on twitter.  https://twitter.com/NeocashRadio
galaxyAbstractor (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2013, 07:43:50 PM

How about you sit on the $320 worth of BTC for 2,5 years.  After then you'll be able to afford the flight. 

If bitcoin continues to rise and doesn't crash yeah, but unfortunately I myself don't think it'll rise that high. BTC would need to reach $126/BTC for that. I got bored of bitcoin when it crashed down to $3 back in 2011, it bugs me to this day lol. Should have bought a lot....

johnniewalker
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 07:55:15 PM

Of course you can do it. You have to be smart, though. And don't waste valuable time. As in NOW. What I mean is, with the BTC increasing in an almost linear trend, you should acquire as many as you can as soon as you can. I myself am even thinking about buying them with cash!
I don't know if you ever look at the "Goods" section on this forum, but commerce is down-likely because the BTC is up and keeps increasing.
I'm sorry I don't know what kind of service/good to offer, but consider that fact. People aren't buying BTC keychains (at least not with BTC) even if they're cheap, because .1 BTC today could be worth double tomorrow.
SO, think about a service/good that people NEED and cannot live without. Some kind of service to buy groceries, gas, etc w/BTC would be profitable, I believe. I hope I've provided some insight for you.
Herodes

Activity: 868

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 09:52:34 PM

What you could do is to have a part time job, then save 25% in bitcoin and the rest in your bank account. Coming 2.5 years in the future, you should have plenty of enough money.
galaxyAbstractor (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2013, 09:55:31 PM

What you could do is to have a part time job, then save 25% in bitcoin and the rest in your bank account. Coming 2.5 years in the future, you should have plenty of enough money.

Thought of that but the job market for people my age isn't really bright here if you don't have a complete college education, a drivers license and/or car. I also rather not have a job at the side of my studies as our schedule is different each week, I'm afraid it would be hard to fit work and college together and still have enough time for college. I'm trying to get something for the summer though but I haven't had any luck the past two summers :<

Herodes

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 10:38:35 PM

Thought of that but the job market for people my age isn't really bright here if you don't have a complete college education, a drivers license and/or car. I also rather not have a job at the side of my studies as our schedule is different each week, I'm afraid it would be hard to fit work and college together and still have enough time for college. I'm trying to get something for the summer though but I haven't had any luck the past two summers :<

Get you - could you do some work online ? Do you have skills for coding/design or something like that ? What's your age? What about gas stations, going with the news paper and stuff like that ? Even a job that only happened once or twice a week would be great, like helping out in a store every saturday or something like that.
galaxyAbstractor (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2013, 10:41:35 PM

Get you - could you do some work online ? Do you have skills for coding/design or something like that ? What's your age? What about gas stations, going with the news paper and stuff like that ? Even a job that only happened once or twice a week would be great, like helping out in a store every saturday or something like that.

Yeah I'm a web dev, but unfortunately I lack confidence in myself when it comes to coding, but I'm trying to change that :>. Coding projects take some effort tho I could believe and I don't think a company would want to hire someone they know would quit in a month would they? I could only think that would be a waste of time, as I would have to spend time getting into their code and by that time I might only have little time left Tongue. I'm 20, btw

Herodes

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 04:03:01 AM

Yeah I'm a web dev, but unfortunately I lack confidence in myself when it comes to coding, but I'm trying to change that :>. Coding projects take some effort tho I could believe and I don't think a company would want to hire someone they know would quit in a month would they? I could only think that would be a waste of time, as I would have to spend time getting into their code and by that time I might only have little time left Tongue. I'm 20, btw

try freelancer.com or rentacoder.com. Your skills will improve over time.
Rothgar

Tune in to Neocash Radio

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2013, 11:45:33 PM

If bitcoin continues to rise and doesn't crash yeah, but unfortunately I myself don't think it'll rise that high. BTC would need to reach $126/BTC for that. I got bored of bitcoin when it crashed down to $3 back in 2011, it bugs me to this day lol. Should have bought a lot....

It's only triple.  2,5 years.  That's totally possible.  You can work and squirrel away a bit of money to help supplement this endeavor. 

BigFigurez

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 02:51:35 AM

If you want a real mission, make it to Japan without flying. You have 2.5 years right
Quix

Activity: 174

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 03:10:19 PM

Get a job, seriously it's guaranteed to work.
Bitbird

Activity: 234

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2013, 05:16:15 PM

@galaxyAbstractor

I think it might be possible to design one or few Bitcoin accepted services for you. Sweden has it's potential for doing Bitcoin related startups/business. You can earing some Bitcoin while helping peoples by providing these services.

Please PM me if you want to discuss more details.

Rothgar

Tune in to Neocash Radio

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2013, 01:28:48 AM

Less than $40 away now.  2.5 years, at this rate it'll be 2.5 months or less. 

galaxyAbstractor (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2013, 04:46:32 PM

Oh would you look at that, I didn't even have to wait a lot Shocked. Honestly I didn't think it would work out Shocked

galaxyAbstractor (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 02:55:56 PM

So I sold everything off, I couldn't take it anymore Tongue. $1500, still enough for r/t tickets to Tokyo with some $400 - $500 over, so I'm happy with that, as that was my goal.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: