Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 09:16:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Roger Ver and blocksize  (Read 8059 times)
StraightAArdvark

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 04, 2016, 01:27:31 PM

He's also good friends with another dubious "freedom" outfit: the Liberty Radio Network (who have a history of making bizarre mistakes during "liberty" activism, e.g. recently they were excommunicated from a local "liberty" organisation for advocating sex with children)

That's quite a charge. He needs to respond to it.

I'm generally skeptical of Randian libertards, as I have yet to meet one who would actually want to live in the world they argue for. Recently I challenged my local neighborhood libertard in a thought experiment. Since he always says "private property is the foundation of wealth and modern capitalism", I told him that logically he would favor a world where EVERYWHERE is private property. He bit this hook, and hilarity ensued...

So you stumped him with the old "BUT ZOMG WHO WILL BUILD THE ROADS RAPE THE CHILDREN?" canard?

Pls read before trotting out ur hobby horse Smiley
>canard
and learn what words mean before using them.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2016, 01:49:40 PM

I'm generally skeptical of Randian libertards, as I have yet to meet one who would actually want to live in the world they argue for. Recently I challenged my local neighborhood libertard in a thought experiment. Since he always says "private property is the foundation of wealth and modern capitalism", I told him that logically he would favor a world where EVERYWHERE is private property. He bit this hook, and hilarity ensued...

So you stumped him with the old "BUT ZOMG WHO WILL BUILD THE ROADS?" canard?

>canard

I'm the last person you want to challenge on word usage.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/canard

Popularity: Top 40% of words

Simple Definition of canard

: a false report or story : a belief or rumor that is not true

And you also believe Ayn Rand has something to do with child abuse?

http://atlassociety.org/commentary/commentary-blog/4274-children-s-rights

While children do have the full rights of adults, they deserve to have their right to live and not suffer violent attack respected.

Stupid hippie.  Did you take too much brown acid at Woodstock?   Cheesy

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
StraightAArdvark

View Profile
June 04, 2016, 01:57:23 PM

He's also good friends with another dubious "freedom" outfit: the Liberty Radio Network (who have a history of making bizarre mistakes during "liberty" activism, e.g. recently they were excommunicated from a local "liberty" organisation for advocating sex with children)

That's quite a charge. He needs to respond to it.

So you stumped him with the old "BUT ZOMG WHO WILL BUILD THE ROADS RAPE THE CHILDREN?" canard?

>canard

"BUT ZOMG WHO WILL BUILD THE ROADS?" is neither a story nor is it false.
I see your problem is much more profound than simple lack of learningz Smiley

See the boldface text above, which you have artfully redacted.
But sure, Rand's problems may be linked to child abuse, though that's irrelevant Smiley
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2016, 01:58:39 PM

Hey Ver, tell your boi at mtgox to add your shitcoin

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2016, 02:21:10 PM

But sure, Rand's problems may be linked to child abuse, though that's irrelevant Smiley

Ayn Rand was abused as a child, by Bolshevik state terror in the Soviet Union.  That's why she came to the USA.  Duh.

Although popular among plebs such as yourself, the belief that only the State can build roads is false, and thus may be referred to as a canard.

EG:

https://plus.google.com/104129125369341849767/posts/9egh1Jgrmt9

Just one of the questions that trumps the "but who will build the roads?" canard.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-03-11/ben-carson-endorses-donald-press-conference-live-feed#comment-7301546

I do give you credit though, at least you didn't throw out the other tired canard:  "but, but, who will build the roads?!"  LOL  what a dumbarse.

LOL what a dumbarse, indeed.   Wink

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
June 04, 2016, 02:47:25 PM

Because Roger Ver is among those a few people that really understand bitcoin's potential. Programmers seldom look away from their technical worries, they care about how the car works, but are not able to see where the car is going

The blocksize debate is not a technical issue, it exposed several long existing problem of bitcoin: Mining centralization, development centralization and lack of consensus based decision making mechanism regarding protocol change. And what core programmer is doing is to make these problems worse, their solutions create more and more centralization incentive, especially in R&D. If bitcoin is centralized in the hands of a few guys, government and law enforcement will take down them in a couple of hours, then the whole system will just collapse like e-gold or liberty reserve

bitcoin is the first and only crypto that has face this problem because is and the most popular. To find a proper solution for a tech problem you need someone who really understand how the tech works and not a manager or a marketing guy.

It is this mindset created current mess. There are various of ways to solve a technical problem, if you could not find the way that align with your long term social economy goal, it just means that you are not smart enough and not qualified. By changing the long term goal to suit a narrow technical limitation is like driving a car into the river because your steering wheel is locked: You have to sit in the car because it is high-tech

Just look at how Windows took over nearly most of the desktop market, they had far less stable and secure technology comparing with unix system at that time, especially the network part, but they get the right market direction before any other tech gurus realized it, they patch each bug, patch after patch, but their direction never changed: End user friendly

Similarly here, by putting all the transactions on-chain, you have to strive to find the best possible on-chain scaling technology, like thin blocks doing right now. But if you start to become lazy and try to use the old centralized financial models like payment channels because they can provide millions of transactions per second, then you just drag bitcoin into the old banking model, which will dramatically reduce its usage and increase its risk, especially when there are many other alt-coins provide on-chain scaling

StraightAArdvark

View Profile
June 04, 2016, 02:49:36 PM

Ayn Rand was abused as a child, by Bolshevik state terror in the Soviet Union.  That's why she came to the USA.  Duh.

Although popular among plebs such as yourself, the belief that only the State can build roads is false, and thus may be referred to as a canard.

EG:

https://plus.google.com/104129125369341849767/posts/9egh1Jgrmt9

Just one of the questions that trumps the "but who will build the roads?" canard.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-03-11/ben-carson-endorses-donald-press-conference-live-feed#comment-7301546

I do give you credit though, at least you didn't throw out the other tired canard:  "but, but, who will build the roads?!"  LOL  what a dumbarse.

LOL what a dumbarse, indeed.   Wink

>Ayn Rand was abused as a child
So don't ask stupid [and irrelevant] questions like "And you also believe Ayn Rand has something to do with child abuse?"

>"bullshit popular among plebes like you"
Listen up, Dunning–Kruger victim:
The reason I don't bring up that Ayn Rand fans are NEET failures & brokeass degenerates, still living in Mom's basements because "gubermint j00z gave muh jerb to niggers!!" is because, while such delusional thinking is dominant in the Rand fandom, *it has nothing to do with the topic at hand." It's a non-sequitur.
If someone asked you "who'll build teh roads," your bringing it up would be justified. Since no one did, it's not. That's why I advised you to "read before trotting out your hobby horse."
Are you, at least, beginning to understand?
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2016, 03:27:38 PM

[generic butthurt pleb pouting about #1 bestselling and most influential writer of all time]

I see you've wisely chosen to stop petulantly and ignorantly disputing my demonstrably correct use of the word canard.

Next time, don't question my mastery of word usage, or I shall have to teach you additional lessons in vocabulary.

Here is an Ayn Rand fan...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcF4A0dox1o

...discussing Bitcoin and blockchain derivatives before the CFTC.   Cool

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
StraightAArdvark

View Profile
June 04, 2016, 03:56:39 PM

BAWWWW!!!
Chin up, didn't mean to shit on your fandom! I'm sure you're a unique, special snowflake & nothing at all like 99% of the Randian losers.
*And Ayn totally doesn't look like a transbro, that's just mean. Judging people by their looks is wrong.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2016, 04:25:27 PM

I see you've wisely chosen to stop petulantly and ignorantly disputing my demonstrably correct use of the word canard.

Next time, don't question my mastery of word usage, or I shall have to teach you additional lessons in vocabulary.

...discussing Bitcoin and blockchain derivatives before the CFTC.
Chin up, didn't mean to shit on your fandom! I'm sure you're a unique, special snowflake & nothing at all like 99% of the Randian losers.
*And Ayn totally doesn't look like a transbro, that's just mean. Judging people by their looks is wrong.

Your trolling is priceless!   Grin

So creative of you to come to a libertarian techie board and start spewing anti-libertarian/anti-Objectivist defamation and canards.

LMK when you address the CFTC (I won't hold my breath).

Say hi to Prof. Trolfi for me.  I haven't seen him around lately, perhaps he's too busy furiously exchanging his collapsing Brazilian ShitFiat for the Buttcoins he claims to despise...

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
StraightAArdvark

View Profile
June 04, 2016, 05:10:12 PM

...discussing Bitcoin and blockchain derivatives before the CFTC.

Your trolling is priceless!   Grin

So creative of you to come to a libertarian techie board

Nah, this isn't a techie or or a liber board. This is a board where technically & plain old illiterate third-world signature spammers come to scratch out a living.
And where sad Dunning–Kruger victims like you get to feel clever, because kno how3spel Smiley
P.S. Just look at the topics in this sub Cheesy
http://s33.postimg.org/9yrpljdyn/Capture.jpg

"Halving is a profitable" "Does sending Bitcoins feel good?" Cheesy
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2016, 05:18:43 PM

Just look at how Windows took over nearly most of the desktop market, they had far less stable and secure technology comparing with unix system at that time, especially the network part, but they get the right market direction before any other tech gurus realized it, they patch each bug, patch after patch, but their direction never changed: End user friendly
Comparing Windows to Bitcoin is a false analogy. Cherry picking analogies won't help you build up any kind of argument.

Similarly here, by putting all the transactions on-chain, you have to strive to find the best possible on-chain scaling technology, like thin blocks doing right now. But if you start to become lazy and try to use the old centralized financial models like payment channels because they can provide millions of transactions per second, then you just drag bitcoin into the old banking model, which will dramatically reduce its usage and increase its risk, especially when there are many other alt-coins provide on-chain scaling
No. Payment channels are not centralized. Here you go again, trying to spread FUD in regards to something which you do not understand. Seems like you're part of the Dunning–Kruger effect as described by the troll above me.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
JeromeL

Activity: 554
Merit: 11

CurioInvest [IEO Live]

View Profile
June 04, 2016, 10:25:30 PM

People like Roger Ver are toxic to Bitcoin and its community. When he says he has been supporting & promoting Bitcoin, you must understand he means he has been supporting and promoting his Bitcoin related businesses. Roger Ver's loud complaints on the blocksize limit have been hurting Bitcoin much more than the blocksize limit none-existing issue. He is making a mountain out of a molehill, and the reason for this behavior remains an open question (trying to pump ETH?). At this point, the best the community can do is ignore him and his businesses & cesspool forums.

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4498

View Profile
June 04, 2016, 10:53:54 PM

No. Payment channels are not centralized. Here you go again, trying to spread FUD in regards to something which you do not understand. Seems like you're part of the Dunning–Kruger effect as described by the troll above me.

in another topic lauda pretended LN doesnt use hubs..
now he is saying there are no central intermediataries..

here i have done a screenshot a video from a video on a website lauda himself linked as his fountain off knowledge

hubs and intermediaries...

im guessing he will rebut talking about the spokes.. (users sending transactions) but will pretend the hub(intermediary) doesnt exist. and yet its this intermediary that actually works as a "mempool" and does the closing of the channel and settling the final large transaction..
i wonder what would happen if someone DDoSed the hub(intermediary) before it had a chance to settle... by by transactions

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
dooglus
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1330

View Profile
June 04, 2016, 11:49:54 PM

in another topic lauda pretended LN doesnt use hubs..
now he is saying there are no central intermediataries..

LN uses nodes in the same way that the p2p Bitcoin network uses nodes. None of them are special. Anyone can run a node. Each node connects to multiple other nodes. None of them are centralised.

im guessing he will rebut talking about the spokes.. (users sending transactions) but will pretend the hub(intermediary) doesnt exist. and yet its this intermediary that
actually works as a "mempool" and does the closing of the channel and settling the final large transaction..

The hubs are the nodes and the spokes are the connections between the nodes.

i wonder what would happen if someone DDoSed the hub(intermediary) before it had a chance to settle... by by transactions

Instead of wondering about it you could research it. If any node goes offline before its channels are closed, the channel will be closed when the timelocked transaction becomes valid, after a suitable delay.

Did you recently buy this account from the original Franky? I seem to remember talking with Franky a few years ago and he seemed smarter then. It could just be that he was agreeing with me then. That can make me think people are smart when in fact they're just repeating something they've read.

Just-Dice                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
██████████████████████████████
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   Play or Invest                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
June 05, 2016, 01:10:17 AM
Last edit: June 05, 2016, 01:52:23 AM by BlindMayorBitcorn

So GMAX is trolling Roger Ver. How come he didn't put #rekt in the thread title? Huh

putting a sleazy looking gambling site on Bitcoin.com (and filling the site with pro ethereum news).

Of course, when he's right he's right. Cheesy

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
nakedbitcoins

Activity: 300
Merit: 250

Nakedbitcoins.com !

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2016, 02:09:19 AM

The real question is why do you care what Roger Ver thinks? As far as I'm concerned, his opinions are as valuable as those of any other random human on this planet. He dislikes Core, he dislikes Segwit, and r/bitcoin and BTCT. Do I need to say more?

This is actually a good point.

gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4186
Merit: 8424

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2016, 02:32:15 AM

I can't agree at all.

Payment channels are _nothing_ like old centralized financial models.  Who is the trusted third party? No one.  

When you go on and on about "on chain" you're confusing a technical mechanism for a social or business business goal.  Everyone being able to transact with everyone else at low cost and without the risk of censorship or exposure to extraneous counterparty risk is a laudable goal.  "On chain"-- meaning transacting in a lock-step synchronous world wide flooding network-- is a technical mechanism. On that, to the best of our current understanding _cannot_ deliver that business/social goal.  Fortunately, we do know ways to deliver it.

It's like walking up to some aircraft engineers and demanding that the next design be exactly the same but have a wingspan twice as long, when really your goal was to double the number of pounds of cargo it could carry.  Maybe the change lets it carry more cargo, or maybe it just makes the plane unstable.  Regardless, a particular _mechanism_ was confused with the business goal, and as a result an end-run around the science and engineering that could, potentially, have actually met the goal if given a chance and allowed to make the required tradeoffs.

Of course, there is always someone out there that will tell you that you can solve any complex problem with this one weird trick.  But there is a word for them: Scammers and their patsies.  And right now, there is a whole clique of the Bitcoin old timers who were bamboozled by Craig Wright and his 419 scam which predominantly featured a ton of magical scalablity claims... it's going to take a while for their wide and greedy eyes to blink and realize they've been tricked, and that maybe these magical scaling claims were just as fraudulent as everything else.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2016, 02:36:31 AM

So GMAX is trolling Roger Ver. How come he didn't put #rekt in the thread title? Huh

putting a sleazy looking gambling site on Bitcoin.com (and filling the site with pro ethereum news).

Great example of iCEBREAKER's Razor: "Sufficiently advanced thought leadership is indistinguishable from trolling."

What other sleazy subdomains can we suggest Bitcoin Judas use in his futile efforts to exploit the regrettably overpriced premium bitcoin dot com domain?

Porn.bitcoin.com and xxx.bitcoin.com would complement the casino for a seamless Las Vegas blackjack + hookers vibe.

TaxProtester.bitcoin.com, to cover political issues close to Roger's heart attorney and criminal record.

IhateGregMaxwell.bitcoin.com and FreeTx4EVA.bitcoin.com,  for all the latest anti-BlockSchemeNorthCorea agitprop.

WhinyRagequit.bitcoin.com, featuring all the latest maudlin Goodbye Cruel Bitcoin World self harm.

Dash.bitcoin.com, so the most pro-Klassique altcoin cult has a designated place to use Gavinista FUD for pumping their bad crypto/snake oil marketing instamined shitcoin.

A16Z.bitcoin.com and R3.bitcoin.com, for all the latest anti-cypherpunk, pro-authoritarian banksters with a Satoshi-wannabee predilection.

This is fun; I can't wait to hear what subs Gmax suggests!   Cool

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
alani123
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1436

Leading Crypto Sports Betting & Casino Platform

View Profile
June 05, 2016, 02:42:41 AM

Not necessarily trolling but he's has called Ver out on other occasions as well. Here's one I remember:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1454900.msg14708418#msg14708418

..Stake.com..   ▄████████████████████████████████████▄
   ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██  ▄████▄
   ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██████████ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██  ██████
   ██ ██████████ ██      ██ ██████████ ██   ▀██▀
   ██ ██      ██ ██████  ██ ██      ██ ██    ██
   ██ ██████  ██ █████  ███ ██████  ██ ████▄ ██
   ██ █████  ███ ████  ████ █████  ███ ████████
   ██ ████  ████ ██████████ ████  ████ ████▀
   ██ ██████████ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██████████ ██
   ██            ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀            ██ 
   ▀█████████▀ ▄████████████▄ ▀█████████▀