Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 04:59:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Remittance and Ripple  (Read 1180 times)
MoneyIsDebt (OP)

Activity: 642
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 11:00:05 AM

I've been aiding remittance to Malaysia and Norway using bitcoins.
(If anyone is interested in transfers of bitcoin to either country, or fiat between the two, please contact me.)

I was curious as to whether Ripple could add some value here, but I fail to see how exactly. If a client wants to give me $1000 on ripple, I'd have to trust him that amount first? I don't see how any merchant / service provider could operate like that, unless they really know their clients well.

What I initially envisioned was that a network of ripples would even out money transfers back and forth with an occasional settling of imbalances through a bitcoin transfer. Can someone help me outline how this could work?
I don't see bitcoin integrated in Ripple yet, so having a settlement of debts happen without the risk of one party not reciprocating is missing.
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2013, 09:33:43 PM

move topic> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=85.0

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
Snowfire

Activity: 122
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 02:33:20 AM

Is the balance to be kept in BTC or immediately swept out at the destination into kronor and ringgit? You could convert currency of origin to BTC at Bitstamp (or some other gateway), and then convert to Bitstamp IOUs in Ripple; if the originating funds are already BTC they could just be sent to Bitstamp as such. Then, for example, Bitstamp IOUs could be redeemed back through Bitstamp, converted to kronor, and wired to Norway. I don't know if any gateway will deal with Malaysia yet.

BTC:1Ca1YU6rCqCHniNj6BvypHbaHYp32t2ubp XRP: rpVbjBotUFCoi9xPu3BqYXZhTLpgZbQpoZ
LTC:LRNTGhyymtNQ7uWeMQXdoEfP5Mryx2c62i :FC: 6qzaJCrowtyepN5LgdpQaTy94JuxmKmdF7
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: