Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 12:01:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How many coins will be lost due to people dying?  (Read 4346 times)
Amitabh S (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1001
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 08:45:11 PM

Many keep their bitcoins so secure that only they can access them, without anticipating that they might one day die and take their bitcoins with them.

What are your plans for your coins after you die? How do you plan to make them (un)recoverable?

Coinsecure referral ID: https://coinsecure.in/signup/refamit (use this link to signup)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Kettenmonster

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

bool eval(bool b){return b ? b==true : b==false;}

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 09:02:53 PM

Put whatever it takes into your last will and testament, nothing new so far.

The paining (sic!) is done with the QPainter class inside the paintEvent() method.
(source: my internet)
13Charlie

Activity: 218
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 09:06:15 PM

How do you plan to make them (un) recoverable?

Armory has (or will have soon) an awesome feature built into the paper backup system that allows an M of N recovery. Fully customize-able.
I plan to print 10 sheets of paper that each have a piece of the puzzle to recover my cold storage wallet. It will require 7 pieces of the original 10 to recover the wallet.
6 of them get distributed to family and friends with instructions to hold onto them until I die.
4 of them are to be in the will itself, this way, the other 6 can never do anything before I actually die (not that I couldn't trust those people).

No signature necessary
nwbitcoin

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

You are a geek if you are too early to the party!

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2013, 09:09:47 PM

Armory has (or will have soon) an awesome feature built into the paper backup system that allows an M of N recovery. Fully customize-able.
I plan to print 10 sheets of paper that each have a piece of the puzzle to recover my cold storage wallet. It will require 7 pieces of the original 10 to recover the wallet.
6 of them get distributed to family and friends with instructions to hold onto them until I die.
4 of them are to be in the will itself, this way, the other 6 can never do anything before I actually die (not that I couldn't trust those people).

That's a neat idea.
It could be used with all your important logins.  Maybe another use for your wallet?

*Image Removed*
I use Localbitcoins to sell bitcoins for GBP by bank transfer!
vdragon

Activity: 196

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2013, 09:11:53 PM

Many keep their bitcoins so secure that only they can access them, without anticipating that they might one day die and take their bitcoins with them.

What are your plans for your coins after you die? How do you plan to make them (un)recoverable?

I am sure that someone will come to a solution like that the coins that have been dormant for 3 years or so, can be mined again, or distributed somehow. Not sure, just a thought

My USB Erupter GROUP BUY https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=252180.0

Hungary (south) based trader - accepting/sending bank transfers, also willing to meet in person
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2013, 09:14:47 PM

I was wondering about this myself. I am in Afghanistan and have to consider these things.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Puppet
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1040

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 09:19:48 PM

Funny you mention this. I just emailed an encrypted copy of my wallet.dat to my family members. I encrypted it with a truecrypt container protected by an enormous password thats composed of a lot of things only my family members would all know, or be able to find out, like old phone numbers, old car license plates, my "social security number", bank account number and other stuff. I wrote the explanation how to create the password in a text document I attached with the mail. So should something happen to me, they should be able puzzle together the password of the truecrypt container, which contains the wallet.dat plus a text file with the bitcoin wallet password.

Im sure there are better ways to go about, but this was good enough for me. Its possible for them to recover my coins, and damn near impossible for a random hacker.
13Charlie

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 09:32:57 PM

I am sure that someone will come to a solution like that the coins that have been dormant for 3 years or so, can be mined again, or distributed somehow. Not sure, just a thought

Terrible idea, what if my life savings coins are dormant for for 30 years because I'm saving them?
If some coins disappear forever, the other ones get more valuable. Plus, coins are divisible into 100,000,000 units each. There are plenty of coins in circulation, they do not need to be re-mined.

No signature necessary
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2013, 09:33:07 PM

The OP makes a good point. I think I need a plan. Ya never know, my stash might be very valuable someday. It would be a shame to have it lost with my brain.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
mjc

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Available on Kindle

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2013, 09:45:45 PM

Commit my Private keys to memory and when I reincarnate I can claim them.  :-)

Kindle : Bitcoin Step by Step (2nd Ed) : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Kindle : Bitcoin Mining Step by Step : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Facebook :  https://www.facebook.com/BitcoinStepByStep     Twitter : @BitcoinSbS
veteranBtc

Activity: 126

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 10:38:48 PM

What if 1 btc will value 1000$, just add your coins to your testament.
I think that will make your children happpy Smiley
Jokin'  Cheesy

vdragon

Activity: 196

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2013, 10:44:37 PM

It was just an idea, as I said I dont know too much of behind the scenes things

My USB Erupter GROUP BUY https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=252180.0

Hungary (south) based trader - accepting/sending bank transfers, also willing to meet in person
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
March 06, 2013, 11:25:09 PM

Seems pretty complicated.

Wouldn't it be easier to create a RAR archive containing the wallet with enough repair/recovery data, and give only part of the data to your family ?

With proper balancement of amount of recovery data, the same thing could be achieved.

GGGGG

Activity: 183

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 01:47:07 AM

I was wondering about this myself. I am in Afghanistan and have to consider these things.

Is it true that if you die while in the service, the military will return your dog tags to your loved ones? Perhaps you could get a private key engraved onto a dog tag and carry it with you, and let your family know how to use it in the event of your death. Does the military even do dog tags anymore?
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 03:24:25 AM

I just put some instructions along with the encryption passwords for my (many) wallet files in my safe deposit box.  My family knows there is enough value there to have incentive figure out what these instructions mean.

I'm getting close to wanting to sell one wallet so I need to go back to the safe deposit box to get the pass-phrase.  At that time I'll adjust the instructions to make sure the fam only gives one wallet at a time to a professional to open up if they choose to re-coup the value that way (it being mildly complex since I use OpenSSL in native form for encryption.)  I thought of this failure mode only recently.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
ABitBack

Activity: 524
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 04:29:31 PM

I have money in account that have not had any activity in the past 3 years. 3 years isn't long, I would be pissed if they were to revert back into mineable bitcoins.

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2013, 04:57:24 PM

Is it true that if you die while in the service, the military will return your dog tags to your loved ones? Perhaps you could get a private key engraved onto a dog tag and carry it with you, and let your family know how to use it in the event of your death. Does the military even do dog tags anymore?

I am not in the service. They did give me dog tags the last time I came out here but not this time.

Perhaps engraving the cross around my neck could work. And if someone stole it from me I could immediately rush to a computer and move my BTC.

Though out here I would probably die from a missile or mortar round...

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 2121

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 10:44:38 PM

I once considered creating a service which would provide time-locks. Request a public key and at some time in the future the corresponding private key would be made public. Encrypt what you want and leave it wherever public you want. Of course, you have to do some management to re-encrypt things if you're using it as a dead-man's switch but the principle is sound.

After a little consideration though, I decided that the risk from those who wanted private keys released ahead of time just wouldn't be worth it.

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k
13Charlie

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 04:41:27 AM

Seems pretty complicated.

Wouldn't it be easier to create a RAR archive containing the wallet with enough repair/recovery data, and give only part of the data to your family ?
You are correct, this is more complicated than necessary (for most). But for me, it will provide a little more piece of mind. As they say, to each his own, and the OP asked about how we planned for this event. This is how I am planning.

No signature necessary
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 05:15:01 AM

If enough time goes by any solution that involves hardware might be so obsolete that a museum would have to get involved to read the data. If i gave you five inch floppy i bet many here would be like wtf is that. Just thinking out loud.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: