Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:33:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Someone just paid 94.35425882 BTC in transaction fee  (Read 6745 times)
deepceleron (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1025

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2013, 11:30:35 PM
Last edit: March 07, 2013, 12:54:00 AM by deepceleron

Someone really wanted their transaction to go through? More likely another raw transaction mistake. Just included in the last block:

http://blockchain.info/tx/13dffdaef097881acfe9bdb5e6338192242d80161ffec264ee61cf23bc9a1164

TL;DClick: Transaction with 94.35425882 BTC paid in fees. Just a $4000 mistake...

BTW, Luke-Jr doesn't share with miners, it looks like Eligius keeps all the fees...
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
wizkid057
Legendary

Activity: 1223
Merit: 1006

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 03:50:11 AM

BTW, Luke-Jr doesn't share with miners, it looks like Eligius keeps all the fees...

Actually, Luke-Jr doesn't have a whole lot to do with that anymore.  (See this post).

And I'm currently trying to work out a way to be able to distribute fees to miners under the CPPSRB system, so, bear with me!

-wk

Tips: 1LDQrLr6dPVqNJmpZm82eZVKqDFRk7ERW8
Operator of the Eligius Mining Pool - 0% Fee, SAPPLNS, GBT, Stratum, IRC+Phone Support, Share Market (coming soon), Generation payouts, and more.
Don't feed the trolls. Science Confirms: Internet Trolls Really Are Narcissistic, Psychopathic, and Sadistic (1)
eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 04:14:49 AM

I certainly hope some attempt is being made to return this obvious mistake back to the person who made the transaction.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1630

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2013, 09:53:35 AM

I certainly hope some attempt is being made to return this obvious mistake back to the person who made the transaction.
Ahahaha you so funny  Cheesy

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 11:13:37 AM

Actually, Luke-Jr doesn't have a whole lot to do with that anymore.  (See this post).

And I'm currently trying to work out a way to be able to distribute fees to miners under the CPPSRB system, so, bear with me!

-wk
But he still has full access to the private details of the pool ... so it's not like anything has really changed ...

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 12:25:41 PM

What's so funny?
Returning it makes a great story, and might be/is the right thing to do.

niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 03:42:03 PM

No, he was not funny. Your comment, however, is alarming.

P.S.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=135665.msg1445271#msg1445271

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Blowfeld

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 03:57:47 PM

Transaction with 94.35425882 BTC paid in fees.
Just a hypothetical question:  If the 94.35425882 were stolen, is the entire output of the generation transaction now "clean money" or is everything, including the virgin 25BTC, now "dirty money".

And could miners deliberately use this technique to launder dirty money?

And if a miner wanted to ensure he mined perfectly virgin, untainted, clean money, does the miner have to reject all transactions that include a fee?

What's the consensus?
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 04:13:00 PM

P.S.

I guess we already know ckolivas would keep the money. Honest fellow that ckolivas.
Mental note: No business with this dude whatsoever.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 05:56:28 PM

P.S.

I guess we already know ckolivas would keep the money. Honest fellow that ckolivas.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
wizkid057
Legendary

Activity: 1223
Merit: 1006

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 08:48:53 PM

-wk
But he still has full access to the private details of the pool ... so it's not like anything has really changed ...

Of course he does.  I was given my own access by him, and there has been no reason for his own access to be removed.  However, he only really ever needs to do anything for the pool itself really when something breaks and I'm not around.

The entire reward system was written from scratch by me making the pool as a whole essentially rewritten by me.  Obviously the pool still uses Eloipool, written by Luke-Jr, along with the corresponding Eligius bitcoin branch for bitcoind, and I have no issue with him pulling updates to these things himself.

But no one besides myself ever touches any of the code for what really makes the pool a working pool (reward system, stats, back-end database structure, etc).  There is very little code left related to the "pre-wizkid" Eligius running on the pool server.  One example would be the namecoin SMPPS code, which is scheduled for shutdown in a couple of weeks anyway, leaving really next to nothing from the old Eligius as part of the pool.

Also, there really aren't many "private details" at Eligius.  Almost everything running is either open source, exposed via API or stats, announced, or otherwise as transparent as possible.  (A notable exception being the CPPSRB reward system code itself, which I am still actively developing and testing. Since this code directly handles payouts of actual coins, I'm not quite ready for the code to see the light of day until I've had the time to fully dot my I's, cross my T's, and audit it for any potential security issues.)

But, back to the topic at hand, fees from Eligius blocks are, under the hosting agreement, to be shared with the server sponsor.  It is being discussed on how this agreement can be changed to benefit Eligius miners.

Also, if someone comes forward soon with properly signed messages proving original ownership of this obviously large mistake of a transaction fee, I will be glad to speak with them about it.

-wk

Tips: 1LDQrLr6dPVqNJmpZm82eZVKqDFRk7ERW8
Operator of the Eligius Mining Pool - 0% Fee, SAPPLNS, GBT, Stratum, IRC+Phone Support, Share Market (coming soon), Generation payouts, and more.
Don't feed the trolls. Science Confirms: Internet Trolls Really Are Narcissistic, Psychopathic, and Sadistic (1)
Marrs

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 11:14:04 PM

P.S.

I read that as ckolivas believing that eleuthria's hope of an attempt to return the mistake as being laughably unlikely, without any specific statement of whether he would keep or return himself...

sveetsnelda

Activity: 642
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 11:15:37 PM

I read that as ckolivas believing that eleuthria's hope of an attempt to return the mistake as being laughably unlikely, without any specific statement of whether he would keep or return himself...

2nd this.  Quit making wild assumptions.

14u2rp4AqFtN5jkwK944nn741FnfF714m7
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 12:03:00 AM

Wild assumptions just like the one Marrs and you made or the one I made?

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black...
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 03:57:07 AM

Wild assumptions just like the one Marrs and you made or the one I made?

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black...

Not taking sides here.  Just noting that once eleuthria got a similarly insane transaction fee and he did in fact refund the fee to the sender.

If you want to read animosity into what was said it wouldn't be hard though given the CGMiner/BFGMiner split.
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1630

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2013, 09:30:06 AM

Eleuthria has been an upstanding and respectable member of the bitcoin community for as long as I can remember, and I am touched he gave back the transaction fees he received by mistake in that block that was mined.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 03:44:01 PM

Eleuthria has been an upstanding and respectable member of the bitcoin community for as long as I can remember, and I am touched he gave back the transaction fees he received by mistake in that block that was mined.

OK, don't let us speculate. What did you mean by:
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 03:54:50 PM

Stop looking for things that aren't there.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 04:23:10 PM

Stop looking for things that aren't there.

How can I be looking for things which aren't there if I'm asking him to explain us what he meant? Huh
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 04:29:20 PM

wizkid, are you going to distribute this large fee once you get the code working, or attempt to return it to the owner, or keep it as part of the pool's funding?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: