Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:20:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Someone just paid 94.35425882 BTC in transaction fee  (Read 6745 times)
macbook-air

Activity: 324
Merit: 260

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2013, 07:11:34 PM

Earlier this year, I mistakenly paid 90+ coins in transaction fee when playing with createrawtransaction. Fortunately that time I was playing with terracoind. The owner of the 90+ bitcoins might be a victim of createrawtransaction, too.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 07:13:21 PM

Earlier this year, I mistakenly paid 90+ coins in transaction fee when playing with createrawtransaction. Fortunately that time I was playing with terracoind. The owner of the 90+ bitcoins might be a victim of createrawtransaction, too.

I suspect those raw transactions will be a trap for many many more Smiley
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 07:34:01 PM

What confuses me is how people can presumably-accidentally waste this much money, and apparently never even notice so they can try to recover it.

-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 1632

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2013, 10:15:14 PM

Eleuthria has been an upstanding and respectable member of the bitcoin community for as long as I can remember, and I am touched he gave back the transaction fees he received by mistake in that block that was mined.

OK, don't let us speculate. What did you mean by:
Ahahaha you so funny  Cheesy
It was simply low level humour postulating on what the pool would do with the money which obviously you did not find funny.

I understand people are very touchy with respect to transactions on this forum given the number of scams constantly going on, but lumping me with them given my history with bitcoin and free software when I'm not running any business venture and have only ever delivered code in response to donations is a bit harsh.

On the other hand, the mere presence of this forum thread may well change the pool's response to this transaction error.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 11:06:36 PM

Eleuthria has been an upstanding and respectable member of the bitcoin community for as long as I can remember, and I am touched he gave back the transaction fees he received by mistake in that block that was mined.

It was simply low level humour postulating on what the pool would do with the money which obviously you did not find funny.

I understand people are very touchy with respect to transactions on this forum given the number of scams constantly going on, but lumping me with them given my history with bitcoin and free software when I'm not running any business venture and have only ever delivered code in response to donations is a bit harsh.

On the other hand, the mere presence of this forum thread may well change the pool's response to this transaction error.

Thank you!
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 08:07:06 AM

I started it with my comment, so an explanation is due: I don't think I'm touchy because of scams, but because I feel people - even nice people - often manage to convince themselves how world is full of selfish assholes who would never return lost or stolen property to the original owner. This assumption makes even nice folks act not-so-nicely, in defense from an erroneous image of reality.
Things are better than that, but will keep getting worse if we assume the worst. I am sure the majority of people reading this would return the money sent to them by mistake like this.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2013, 08:13:27 AM

What confuses me is how people can presumably-accidentally waste this much money, and apparently never even notice so they can try to recover it.

This is purely speculation but if someone with a high rep on this forum had a brainfart like I did doing a raw tx then it is possible that they might forgo the chance to recover it in order not to be identified as having made such a mistake in the first place (it did cross my mind for at least a second or two before I made my mistake public).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 08:29:43 AM

If you are curious as to what percent of users here claim they would have returned the coins:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=151072.0

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 08:30:06 AM

I started it with my comment, so an explanation is due: I don't think I'm touchy because of scams, but because I feel people - even nice people - often manage to convince themselves how world is full of selfish assholes who would never return lost or stolen property to the original owner. This assumption makes even nice folks act not-so-nicely, in defense from an erroneous image of reality.
Things are better than that, but will keep getting worse if we assume the worst. I am sure the majority of people reading this would return the money sent to them by mistake like this.
There's a saying that an optimist is a happy idiot, and a pessimist a sad idiot...
Most people are by default evil and won't do something good without some ulterior motive. On the other hand, most people have motives: staying out of jail, better reputation, etc.
The approach I usually try to use is to assume the best of people, but expect the worst.

That being said, this forum is particularly full of trolls. While I can't speculate on readers, realistically I think the majority of people who might reply to this post would not return the fee.

kano
Legendary

Activity: 4494
Merit: 1808

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 09:56:54 AM

There's a saying that an optimist is a happy idiot, and a pessimist a sad idiot...
Most people are by default evil and won't do something good without some ulterior motive. On the other hand, most people have motives: staying out of jail, better reputation, etc.
The approach I usually try to use is to assume the best of people, but expect the worst.

That being said, this forum is particularly full of trolls. While I can't speculate on readers, realistically I think the majority of people who might reply to this post would not return the fee.
Says the person who used the Eligius pool to destroy an alt coin coz he wanted to ...

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 09:59:38 AM

Says the person who used the Eligius pool to destroy an alt coin coz he wanted to ...

Remember: Always assume the best... but expect the worst!
TAiS46

Activity: 222
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2013, 09:43:23 PM

Hey,

have check the details and contact the user.
The BTC where send to MtGox. So the high fee is on MtGox side and they made the fault Tongue
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: