Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 04:34:40 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Are we watching the crash, or watching the crash of 30 minutes ago.  (Read 3015 times)
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 12:47:09 AM

Considering the lag of everything, are we watching what people are doing right now? Or what people did awhile ago in panic and Gox wouldn't let them cancel and now the system is just going through the backlog?

more or less retired.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 12:48:00 AM

Goxlag is still at an insanely large amount. I think the crash is significantly influenced by the goxlag actually.
Jrock

Activity: 363
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 12:49:44 AM

I got an order through relatively quickly just a few seconds ago about a minute delay, but it went through.

Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 12:55:43 AM

Goxlag is still at an insanely large amount. I think the crash is significantly influenced by the goxlag actually.

IMO, ~$43 down to $35 (and lower?) is due to Gox being Goxed.

Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 01:01:28 AM

I think we're watching a fight between two groups of traders: those putting orders in to buy at any price, and those who are looking to dump before it all goes lower again.  MtGox is choking on the number of orders placed.  The dollar or more spreads between bids and asks suggest people are trading blind.
kingcrimson
Legendary

Activity: 1025
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 01:26:20 AM

The hype was there but the infrastructure wasn't. Let's hope this doesn't lead to an even greater crash when people realize mtgox is made of cardboard.
The-Real-Link

Activity: 533
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 01:32:25 AM

The hype was there but the infrastructure wasn't. Let's hope this doesn't lead to an even greater crash when people realize mtgox is made of cardboard.

Agreed.  It'd be unfortunate if Gox's troubles outright stalled this rally, which I'd argue it has.

Oh Loaded, who art up in Mt. Gox, hallowed be thy name!  Thy dollars rain, thy will be done, on BTCUSD.  Give us this day our daily 10% 30%, and forgive the bears, as we have bought their bitcoins.  And lead us into quadruple digits
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2013, 01:33:16 AM

I sold about 500,000 BTC, it has not gone through yet.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
bozak

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 01:34:45 AM

I don't get it, the volume is really not all that high to make everything slow to a crawl.  Has anyone entered a limit order in the last few minutes?  Are we still looking at a delayed price?  I'm showing 39.30 right now, but I don't have any confidence that it is real time.  
shmadz
Legendary

Activity: 1512

@theshmadz

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 01:36:23 AM

Canadian exchange (cavirtex) is lag free (obviously having miniscule volume by comparison) and has already rebounded to 39 at the time of this post...

could be a dead-cat bounce.. who knows?

"You have no moral right to rule us, nor do you possess any methods of enforcement that we have reason to fear." - John Perry Barlow, 1996
mb300sd
Legendary

Activity: 1260

Drunk Posts

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2013, 01:37:40 AM

Lets hope that this coinlab merger brings a better trading engine with it...

1D7FJWRzeKa4SLmTznd3JpeNU13L1ErEco
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 01:38:32 AM

There are many more options this time around.  When gox fractures it will be time to buy hard.  It will be like blowing up a starfish pheonix.  There will of course be an incubation period, but when those eggs hatch, watch out.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 01:41:28 AM

Canadian exchange (cavirtex) is lag free (obviously having miniscule volume by comparison) and has already rebounded to 39 at the time of this post...

could be a dead-cat bounce.. who knows?
could be? nah, the crash already happened, bitcoin will stay around the $38-$40 mark but greater resistance (finally)
anu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

RepuX - Enterprise Blockchain Protocol

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 01:59:49 AM

I can feel with you. Just sold 22 Million. Didn't go through, either.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
███████████▄    ▄███████████
█████████████▄▄█████████████
████████████████████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▄████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████▄
█████████████▀▀█████████████
███████████▀    ▀███████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
RepuX▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
.Decentralized Data & Applications Protocol For SMEs.
▔▔▔▔  ●  Twitter  ●  Facebook  ●  Bitcointalk  ●  Reddit  ●  ▔▔▔▔
▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
Enterprise Blockchain Protocol
.GET WHITELISTED.
Token Sale starts 6th of February 2018
Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 02:04:24 AM

I put a limit order in 30 mins ago that took 5 minutes to execute.  Not bad, but still about 4 mins 55 seconds too slow.

What would really concern me now is if we see the price bounce back quickly to $45+.  Not because of personal trading, but because it was possible for bitcoin's price to crash 30% within a matter of hours.  If we're touting bitcoin as a serious money alternative such huge swings are intolerable for most people.  Imagine going into a restaurant and seeing the bill increasing 30% when it comes to time to leave.  That's Weimar Republic-esque.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 02:06:27 AM

If we're touting bitcoin as a serious money alternative such huge swings are intolerable for most people.
For merchants it makes BitPay look a lot more attractive.
whitenight639

Activity: 154

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 03:00:35 AM

It seems to me that when a buy or sell order is placed it matches you up with the appropriate amount of bitcoin from the other side, so how does it match up larger orders when there are not enough sellers selling at the same price / amount of Btc? it seems as if larger orders take longer to trade, i imagine the travelling salesman problem must come in to play and the trading engine has alot of computation to do.

125uWc197UW5kM659m4uwEakxoNHzMKzwz
mb300sd
Legendary

Activity: 1260

Drunk Posts

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2013, 03:03:37 AM

It seems to me that when a buy or sell order is placed it matches you up with the appropriate amount of bitcoin from the other side, so how does it match up larger orders when there are not enough sellers selling at the same price / amount of Btc? it seems as if larger orders take longer to trade, i imagine the travelling salesman problem must come in to play and the trading engine has alot of computation to do.

Limit orders are simple to match..

SELECT * FROM asks WHERE price < limitprice ORDER BY price

if there aren't enough asks below the price, insert a bid order for the remainder

1D7FJWRzeKa4SLmTznd3JpeNU13L1ErEco
Nemesis

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 03:03:55 AM

Guess who made money thro all of these swings? .......... Oh right..... Mt GOX

Is this lag intentional?

Unless they dont communicate with us and give us whats the bottleneck, i think it is.
Monster Tent

Activity: 238

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 03:07:21 AM

Guess who made money thro all of these swings? .......... Oh right..... Mt GOX

Is this lag intentional?

Unless they dont communicate with us and give us whats the bottleneck, i think it is.

Frontrunning ftw

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: