Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:24:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Please, stop having children. (Discussion about overpopulation)  (Read 10735 times)
Basiley

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 03:55:51 PM

"market forces" sounds like "Jedi forces" when you use it.
or "forces of nature" Tongue

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RonnieP

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 03:08:57 AM

I am only reminded of the intro to the movie "Idiocracy". If I don't breed, 2 dozen hillbillies will outbreed me and then where will the world be?? I have to breed just to make sure we don't go extinct!!!

... I agree though, we should all grow patio gardens. the food would actually have nutritional value and not be 90% corn by-products.
The Script

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 09:45:54 AM

I am only reminded of the intro to the movie "Idiocracy". If I don't breed, 2 dozen hillbillies will outbreed me and then where will the world be?? I have to breed just to make sure we don't go extinct!!!

^^  This.  Smiley

The Script

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 09:49:27 AM

Stormtrooper, in my opinion the best way to lower the birth rate without imposing draconian birth laws on people (like China does) would be to raise standards of living significantly as it has been shown that higher standards of living decrease birth rates.  The best way to raise standards of living, of course, is through capitalism. 

[This is when Father McGruder shows up to argue with me.]
Basiley

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 10:54:00 AM

... I agree though, we should all grow patio gardens. the food would actually have nutritional value and not be 90% corn by-products.
right.
humanity is like cancer on planet surface.
Crs

Activity: 107

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 03:04:46 PM

for a second i thought i was on a bilderberg forum, but after that i saw the bitcoin.org address...
maybe if op's parents would have used a condom, we wouldn't be reading this topic and would have not wasted 60 precious seconds.
</crap topic>
josell

Activity: 308
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 06:15:46 PM

I am only reminded of the intro to the movie "Idiocracy".
That movie seems no possible, since IQ average increases every decade.

However, idiots and dumb people use to believe they are more intelligent than others.
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 11:29:56 PM

Stormtrooper, in my opinion the best way to lower the birth rate without imposing draconian birth laws on people (like China does) would be to raise standards of living significantly as it has been shown that higher standards of living decrease birth rates.

This is a popular meme lately but it's probably not that simple.  Correlation is not causation.

Lower birth rates are correlated with things like education for young women and accessible healthcare, not necessarily capitalism.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
Slab Squathrust

Activity: 169

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 01:50:51 AM

right.
humanity is like cancer on planet surface.

Don't insult cancer.  Its creation is really more interesting than the formation of its host.

In all seriousness, Malthusian predictions come around all the time.  Unsurprisingly they often fail to to materialize.  Humans have made great progress in the engineering of new strains of various foodstuffs and the development of techniques that make their collection more efficient.  Don't tell the green freaks this, but humans have been making GE food for thousands of years.  We will continue this process. 

Further name one organism that grows logarithmically indefinitely?  Bacteria come close in a sterile medium but they are limited by culture size.  Throw some phage in and the curve is radically different.  Human generation time is radically slower.  A single E. coli cell could spawn 21281600 offspring in the average human lifespan of 75 years (I know this value varies).  As unPC as it is to admit, human growth is checked by these same factors.  Remember the SARS outbreak?  It would have been unlikely to have occurred in the Wyoming for example.  As population density increases, so will the likelihood of disease transmission, especially for one rising zoonotically.  The question is not will a big outbreak happen, but when?
Perof

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 02:47:24 AM

genetic advances are making crops highly efficient.

HAaaa

IMO suicide should be a basic human right because, let's face it no one wants to live on a planet full of jerks garbage and radioactive waste. Fapping themselves to sleep every night while the people causing the serious, widespread, immediately life threatening problems that affect the entire planet's population get to fly around in aeroplanes. Fucking up the atmosphere even more. That's just downright lame.

In other words if you'd like to escape this shit hole via suicide you deserve a voice in the matter. Instead of being force fed a steady stream of propaganda by family members, social media platforms, and educators [spiritual or otherwise].

On the other hand I don't think you should kill yourself just because we have a burgeoning population and some people told you to do so on the internet.

Also I can confirm, lower birth rates have been correlated to education for women.

So if you really want Africa to stop producing lots of kids, stabilizing the continent, stopping the rape, and setting up schools and hospitals like our Multinational corporation have been promising we'd do for generations now, would be a top priority. Seeing as you don't care, Basiley, and would like to pick more fights we can't win I suggest you stfu
josell

Activity: 308

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 04:30:51 AM

IMO suicide should be a basic human right because, let's face it no one wants to live on a planet full of jerks garbage and radioactive waste. Fapping themselves to sleep every night while the people causing the serious,
Natural desasters are worst than human disasters: huracans an tsunamis cause deforestation, for example. Humans can restore nature faster than nature alone, as well. Humans can bring to life extincts species, even spicies that have been stinct by natural disasters.

Idiots think that stupid people have to commit suicide/ Pure hypocresy.
Mageant
Legendary

Activity: 1145
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2011, 04:35:27 PM

This is not a problem. It is known that when a population becomes wealthy then the birth rate drops by itself (even below self-sustaining levels).

cjgames.com
TKE406

Activity: 49

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 10:41:00 PM

I present to you:

The Voluntary Human Extinction Movement

http://www.vhemt.org/
Bezza

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 02:08:45 PM

I present to you:

Oh christ.
MatthewLM
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 03:01:20 PM

We know we’ll never see the day there are no human beings on the planet.

Really? I laughed.
Basiley

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 10:27:09 PM

I present to you:

tbats contradict most humans i knew, family principles/eduaction/traditions.
and also smashing/bombing/shooting other people usually works better. in both senses and in both ways.
and thats why its works EXACTLY that way in 95% cases.
blogospheroid

Activity: 133

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 09:00:23 AM

If you're a total utilitarian, you shouldn't be arguing for population control.
If you're an average utilitarian, you shouldn't be arguing for population control among the well-off. (which I presume bitcoin users are)

But the point is that for long term sustainability, there needs to be some kind of population control in place. In abesence of that, the meme-complexes that encourage child bearing end up populating the majority of the future. These could be fundamental christians or muslims or simply thoughtless people(the idiocracy argument)

For those who think the idiocracy argument is bunk, the  average human IQ has along way to go UP before the idiocracy effect starts showing up. The increase of IQ is due to better living standards and higher birth weights as poverty reduces in China and India.
But the idiocracy effect is real. I live in India, the world's 2nd most populated country. I'm tentative about having more than 1 kid, since i worry about the cost of good school and college. My housemaid already has two kids since she doesn't look that far into the future(atleast not for college) Multiply that by 10s of milliions and multiple generations and you have idiocracy.

The need is real, but the institutions are not in place for generalised human population control. All of humanity is divided in nations that take their individual shrinking as a threat. We humans have behaved abhorably towards each other for centuries. We simply are not at that stage of civilization where we can institute population control and people will comply seeing the "logic" of it. Any general attempt to reduce numbers will be followed by a long round of finger pointing  - you first.

In this stage of human civilization, humanity is what is to be improved and the way to do that is also through humanity. Such appeals are good only for restricting the number of the well read and the  conscientious. So, you will end up restricting the people who can solve the main problem , which for  a lack of a better term, I would term - real long term world peace. And only after humanity attains real long term world peace can we sincerely attempt population control, which will not be followed by backlashes.

If we want population control right now, we need to establish institutions that will lead to peaceful global human interaction.

My favourite means of conducting population control would be tradeable child credits given to every young woman in the world. Let those who want more children buy the credits from those who don't want to have children or have other priorities in life, for which they ahve to sacrifice having children. This  would be possible only after world peace.

deadlizard

Activity: 112
Merit: 11

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 09:15:20 AM

the well-off. (which I presume bitcoin users are)
Because free money couldn't possibly appeal to the lower classes  Roll Eyes

I have nothing else to add ...

btc address:1MEyKbVbmMVzVxLdLmt4Zf1SZHFgj56aqg
gpg fingerprint:DD1AB28F8043D0837C86A4CA7D6367953C6FE9DC

alexdrans

Activity: 84

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 04:02:08 PM

I've not read all of the thread, but what scares me is who is having children. It seems that the most intelligent people in society, the ones with good jobs etc. are having children at a later date, and they're having less children too. Whereas the poverty stricken African countries, and the underclass in western societies are spewing children.

Sounds a bit Nazi, but it's worrying. In the past survival of the fittest would have kicked in and only the best survived, but nowadays everyone survives and the best aren't reproducing enough.
blogospheroid

Activity: 133

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 04:15:10 PM

the well-off. (which I presume bitcoin users are)
Because free money couldn't possibly appeal to the lower classes  Roll Eyes

I have nothing else to add ...

In terms of the entire world's population, those who can afford computers with GPUs are well off.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: