Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 01:19:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Paper Wallets for your Alternative Currencies  (Read 3436 times)
PartTimeLegend (OP)

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 03:55:43 PM
Last edit: March 08, 2013, 04:30:24 PM by PartTimeLegend

For a lot of us, myself included there is not a huge incentive to run the entire client for alternate cryptocurrencies.

This is for me because the value of them is low and so I see them more as a savings bond and I will wait till they gain value.

I am hoping to see implementations for the following:

• Novacoin
  • BBQCoin
  • Ripple

If anyone knows of them, please post here and I'll update the list.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2013, 04:52:31 PM

DeVCoin and GRouPcoin both us exact same addresses as BiTCoin so you can use the same paper wallet creation tools as you use for BiTCoin.

-MarkM--

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Sunny King
Legendary

Activity: 1205
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2013, 06:04:39 PM

Freicoin has same bitcoin address version so you can use bitaddress.org.

As to ppcoin I will look into hosting a copy compatible with ppcoin. Thanks!
Sunny King
Legendary

Activity: 1205
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2013, 12:49:38 AM

PPCoin paper wallet generator up for testing here:

http://ppcoin.org/bitaddress

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=150407.0
PartTimeLegend (OP)

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 04:30:45 PM

Updated first post.
majorX

Activity: 267
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 11:27:17 PM
Last edit: March 23, 2016, 12:18:26 AM by majorX

is there one for Namecoin?                                                                                                                                                           
panonym

Activity: 266

Help and Love one another ♥

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 02:55:36 AM

bump
I am also interested to see one for Namecoin.

Can we use bitaddress.org ?
Does anybody tried to send NMC to a public address generated from a Bitcoin private key?
(I mean, to test we can send the NMC out of it after that...)

I remember the shell command to export a private key with namecoind didn't work for me.
So I never try to import one, yet.
Anybody tried and succeed the import/export?
str4wm4n
Legendary

Activity: 1611
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 04:10:58 AM

please make bbq!
optimator

Activity: 351

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2013, 04:52:57 AM

Well done!

That is some outstanding work. My only request is to use a picture of Manneken Pis for the ppcoin. It just seems.... Right

jago25_98

Activity: 900
Merit: 1000

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2013, 09:20:24 AM

Thanks to Ditto for showing me this.

Needless to say, bear in mind security. If anyone has any comments on if any of these are safe or not please comment back here

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!
Explicit

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 10:23:18 AM

I fail to see the advantages over keeping addresses with their private keys on an encrypted USB stick.
jago25_98

Activity: 900
Merit: 1000

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2013, 03:56:13 PM

I fail to see the advantages over keeping addresses with their private keys on an encrypted USB stick.

I was meaning for that to be an option too. Anything that skips having to install another client

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!
CryptoWallets.org

Activity: 38

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2013, 07:33:18 PM

Hi everyone,

http://www.cryptowallets.org/ Has a whole array of paper wallets available for alt coins, with a customization option coming soon.

Enjoy!
HumanFractal

Activity: 15

View Profile
March 12, 2014, 10:31:56 AM

Great news for people interested in altcoin paper wallets:

CryptoPapers.com is an offline paper wallet generator that we are about to release Beta for in the next day or two.

25 supported coin types so far - more on their way!

Bitcoin, Litecoin, Peercoin, Dogecoin, Namecoin, NXT (Coming Soon), Mastercoin, Primecoin, Auroracoin, Vertcoin, Mintcoin, Counterparty, Feathercoin, ProtoShares, Quark, Cryptogenic, Datacoin, Devcoin, Digitalcoin, Infinitecoin, Ixcoin, Memorycoin, Novacoin, Terracoin, Worldcoin, Zetacoin

In addition to all these coin types, CryptoPapers will have many advanced features including customizable backgrounds, wallet shapes, BIP38 encryption, integrated security dashboard, and more!

http://cryptopapers.com

If you'd like to encourage development of this project any amount of donation is appreciated:
http://cryptopapers.com/donate

Thanks and stay safe!
0xD9B4BEF9

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 05:46:01 AM

What do you use to actually import and spend the private keys generated without downloading a blockchain for each coin?

I don't think there's even Electrum for litecoin available yet?
alison03

Activity: 294

★Trash&Burn [TBC/TXB]★

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 02:44:23 AM

Can anyone verify the above two links (cryptopapers and crytowallets) are safe to use as coin storage? My biggest fear (and no offense to those posters/sites) is that it's just a scam to steal my coins lol. I saw this thread in the newbie forum: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=520767.20 where a post recommends a wallet and people immediately knew that it was a scam. I, on the other hand, would never have known because every suggestion is news to me. So being very new, of course I'm just skittish.

I am just trying to figure out the best way to store bitcoin and a handful of altcoins for the longterm. I am thinking a paper wallet, but am not even sure what that is (is it the same as cold storage?) and am trying to figure out if I need one paper wallet per type of coin, or if there's something that will store all my coins together. Can someone also expand on the comments above regarding a USB stick? You store addresses on there? What do you mean by "addresses"?  Embarrassed Thank you much!!
HumanFractal

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 08:54:45 AM

Can anyone verify the above two links (cryptopapers and crytowallets) are safe to use as coin storage? My biggest fear (and no offense to those posters/sites) is that it's just a scam to steal my coins lol. I saw this thread in the newbie forum: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=520767.20 where a post recommends a wallet and people immediately knew that it was a scam. I, on the other hand, would never have known because every suggestion is news to me. So being very new, of course I'm just skittish.

I am just trying to figure out the best way to store bitcoin and a handful of altcoins for the longterm. I am thinking a paper wallet, but am not even sure what that is (is it the same as cold storage?) and am trying to figure out if I need one paper wallet per type of coin, or if there's something that will store all my coins together. Can someone also expand on the comments above regarding a USB stick? You store addresses on there? What do you mean by "addresses"?  Embarrassed Thank you much!!

I can't speak for cryptowallets by my application is completely legit. You are completely right to have this worry and i recommend that anyone with these concerns run CryptoPapers fully offline.

We are still in Closed Beta but very soon we are releasing Open Beta to the Chrome App Store and GitHub.

Read about all of the advanced features that will be available here:
https://nxtforum.org/cryptopapers/

----

Let me try to address your questions.

- Yes, paper wallets are considered cold storage
- USB sticks are a good way to store coins but they are vulnerable to EMPs unlike paper, which is a very small risk depending who you ask but worth mentioning.
- An Address is just the public facing side of your Private Key. All coins are set up so that you can't spend from an Address unless you can properly Sign a Transaction with the correct Private Key.

(For those of you that want to get technical you turn the Private Key into the Public Key using a Public Key Cryptographic Curve called secp256k1. The Public Key is then turned into an address by running it through SHA256 twice and then RIPEMD160 once, then converting it to Base58Check)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: