Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 08:58:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What to do with my 600 or so coins?!?  (Read 1667 times)
mralbi

Activity: 271
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2013, 03:07:43 PM

changing back to FIAT currency is definetly not what i would recommend. When the debt based monatry system crashes 1 USD equals basically 0 USD, while 1 BTC equals 1 BTC.

I would just buy more from the FIAT you have left

While it's theoretically got the potential to be much more stable, and remain much more valuable, than USD, it' stil fiat. Anything not directly backed by something like metal, with a set exchange rate (such as "1 BTC = 1 t oz of silver") is fiat. Because of currencies like the USD, "fiat" has a negative connotation (usually for good reason), but a fiat currency (like btc) can be stable and successful.

NO! Bitcoin is NOT FIAT (Fiat money is money that derives its value from government regulation or law). It is a virtual commodity not backed up by anything.

But on the other hand, this is the same as for silver or gold. Gold or silver are NOT backed up by anything. 1 gramm Gold is one gramm Gold and 1 Bitcoin is 1 Bitcoin. It is simply a "convention" that people beleive this has value and are willing to give you something for it. But this is the same for Bitcoin. It is backed up by the convention of people like me and you beleive that this thing has value because of the intrinsic properties (rare, other people accept it, unfakeable, cheap, anonymous etc.)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Warhawk24

Activity: 241
Merit: 252

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 04:41:47 PM

id sell a few. feel a correction coming sometime in the near future
mrp

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2013, 05:01:04 PM

Create your own business?
mmmerlin

Activity: 266

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 07:13:42 PM

If you were going to spend them on ASICs, who would you go with? BFL? Avalon? One of the hundreds of new scams that are springing up?  Wink
Surpbitcoin (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 07:16:51 PM

If you were going to spend them on ASICs, who would you go with? BFL? Avalon? One of the hundreds of new scams that are springing up?  Wink

Both?!?! maybe! Try to minimize any risk, but at this point it looks like ordering from avalon will get you up and running before BFL by a long shot!

bitlybit

Activity: 14

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 02:08:00 AM

hold
downying

Activity: 68

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 03:58:33 AM

buy asicminer share
iwilcox

Activity: 24

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 05:06:23 AM

Practise a random act of selfless beauty and write off the debt your friend owes you?
imardern

Activity: 72

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 07:00:00 AM

I would sell them. You'll make a fortune right now selling even half of that, 300 coins. Boy am I jealous.
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 07:11:17 AM

I would sell the amount required to pay in full the debt of your friend and obliterate that debt. Hoard the remaining coins and forget about it for the next 5 years.

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
BTCvFiat

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 07:51:08 AM

Personally what I would do (not financial advise, not sure on legalities of that with Bitcoin but meh).

Hold a portion of them.
Spend some on the investment vehicles (my pick would be Precious Metals) and other things of interest in that regard (any credit card debt you could pay off here).
Most important, treat yourself to something nice (I think I skimmed over mention of a new laptop, good example) or a holiday (whichever fits into the budget and your interests).

Of course, you could always share a few around the forums (<-- only because it feels mandatory to mention in such threads)  Tongue

Tips? Reply/PM or send coins to:
BTC: 17hVfLh3AUWWqxzo2UeVDmevntSfpc2wqB - LTC: LTbyb2dPBsPMbs1sXT5db1wainGuJ61xSV - WDC: WjEvTJtj5QGNHzXSJCJLcRYJeHzaRhRGtM
silverfuture
Legendary

Activity: 947
Merit: 1008

central banking = outdated protocol

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 08:12:45 AM

Practise a random act of selfless beauty and write off the debt your friend owes you?

I was wondering when someone was going to mention that. The guy pays in bitcoin and they triple in value...cut the friend some slack for sure or become Mr. Burns incarnate.

I would sell the amount required to pay in full the debt of your friend and obliterate that debt. Hoard the remaining coins and forget about it for the next 5 years.

This!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NastyFans - The Fan Club for Bitcoin Enthusiasts | MININGCOINS | POOL | ESCROW
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tigggger
Legendary

Activity: 1098
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 08:48:30 AM

I'd be inclined to hedge my bets.

keep 200, sell 200, invest 200 in asics.

As they've tripled in value, the ones you sell ensure you are already even.

mralbi

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2013, 11:23:55 AM

there is only one basic rule for bitcoin:
Buy bitcoin with all excess money you have
Sell bitcoin only if you need.

TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2013, 11:40:20 AM

That^

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
Surpbitcoin (OP)

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 01:01:52 PM

Thanks for all the good advise guys, I actually took my buddy out last night for some drinks and...well... hoes! I even paid the evening and gave him some cash. Needless to say his debt to me is clear and he is happier then a pig in shit.

Now that that's taken care of it only leaves me with a few options.

Asic mining if I can ever get my hands on some rigs.

Laptop, because you can never go wrong with a good laptop.

A trip around the world which I've always wanted to take but would cost nearly all my bitcoins if I did it right! I've also been looking into BTCjam and I may open an account and start lending, not for the interest but to help the community.

Anyone here know of any good start-ups or organizations that are in need of a little cash influx?

SRG

Activity: 127
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 09, 2013, 01:37:54 PM

Thanks for all the good advise guys, I actually took my buddy out last night for some drinks and...well... hoes! I even paid the evening and gave him some cash. Needless to say his debt to me is clear and he is happier then a pig in shit.

That is awesome, excellent!

The key problem is that bitcoin is a deflationary currency, more so even than gold or silver, even if its number of users was constant, you should expect it to hold its value relative to fiat currencies, e.g. USD.  Given that more and more people are getting into bitcoin, as you discovered between January and now, you are fine doing very little.

So maybe sell a few to cover any needs you have but, ironically, many investments may actually underperform just holding the BTC, i.e. unlike fiat currencies bitcoin is itself a decent "investment."

Congratulations on your windfall and good luck going forward.
mralbi

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2013, 08:56:08 PM

Now that that's taken care of it only leaves me with a few options.

Asic mining if I can ever get my hands on some rigs.

Laptop, because you can never go wrong with a good laptop.

A trip around the world which I've always wanted to take but would cost nearly all my bitcoins if I did it right! I've also been looking into BTCjam and I may open an account and start lending, not for the interest but to help the community.

Anyone here know of any good start-ups or organizations that are in need of a little cash influx?

Well, the bitmarket.eu bankruptcy could use some coins, lol.

I am currently trying to reopen the service so that we have a chance to "earn" or frozen coins back which the previous admin "lost"

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: