Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 03:56:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Bitcoin Transaction Fee Booster  (Read 18425 times)
achow101 (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6635

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2017, 04:04:41 PM

I haven't been able to use the software to create a new raw transaction because when I enter the stuck raw transition I can't see the button's to proceed on this screen

I've tried adjusting the screen but I can't get the lower part to show
That's quite a large transaction that you have there. You have to make the window as large as possible as JavaFX does not automatically scroll the window apparently when there are too many things on it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BuySomeBitcoins

Activity: 434
Merit: 253

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 04:11:54 PM

I will look into the tool source code and will probably use it on our website to properly compute the fees.
This will make our users get their coins faster.

Quick question, the tool will not work if any API is down, maybe you can add a cache feature for 21.co  !
assist5

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 04:14:27 PM

I haven't been able to use the software to create a new raw transaction because when I enter the stuck raw transition I can't see the button's to proceed on this screen

https://s18.postimg.org/oc419000p/IMG_0470.png

That's quite a large transaction that you have there. You have to make the window as large as possible as JavaFX does not automatically scroll the window apparently when there are too many things on it.

I've expanded the window to cover my entire screen and the farthest I can view is what is in my screenshot

Any other suggestions?
HI-TEC99
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 2846

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 04:16:54 PM

I've expanded the window to cover my entire screen and the farthest I can view is what is in my screenshot

Any other suggestions?

Can you adjust the resolution of your screen to a higher resolution?
achow101 (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2017, 04:17:55 PM

Any other suggestions?
Make your desktop into portrait mode (basically turns the desktop sideways to take advantage of the wider monitor) and look at it sideways for a bit to see the button. Otherwise there isn't much else that you can do. I should make it scrollable, but I don't really have time to maintain the software.

HI-TEC99
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 04:25:09 PM

You could try repeatedly pressing your tab key until the focus is on the "set fee" button, then pressing the tab key one more time, then pressing your enter key.

Most software lets you change which button is focused using the tab key, and simulates you pressing that button with your enter key.
assist5

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 04:29:01 PM

I was able to get it to the next screen by switching to portrait mode. Where do I copy the unsigned version into Electrum?

I went to load transaction ------> from text but it says Status: unsigned . Transaction unrelated to your wallet

Or on coin.ib ... where do I find the private key to enter?
HI-TEC99
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 04:31:30 PM

I was able to get it to the next screen by switching to portrait mode. Where do I copy the unsigned version into Electrum?

I went to load transaction ------> from text but it says Status: unsigned . Transaction unrelated to your wallet

Is electrum's "sign" button greyed out?
assist5

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 04:35:48 PM
Last edit: February 27, 2017, 04:48:31 PM by assist5

Yes, here's what I see

https://s23.postimg.org/jr8j46pvv/IMG_0471.png

Ok I think I got it. Is that what I'm supposed to see in the software when it's done?

https://s9.postimg.org/582zyn733/IMG_0472.png
HI-TEC99
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 05:00:01 PM
Last edit: February 27, 2017, 05:21:26 PM by HI-TEC99

Yes, here's what I see

Ok I think I got it. Is that what I'm supposed to see in the software when it's done?

Yes, that looks right, but how did you sign the transaction in electrum with a greyed out sign button, or did you sign it with coinb.in?
assist5

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 09:05:10 PM

I signed it with coinb.in

I don't think what I did earlier worked. I'm confused about the 2nd screen when it says choose output to deduct an additional fee from though. Can you explain what that means and how it works?
achow101 (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2017, 09:07:12 PM

I don't think what I did earlier worked. I'm confused about the 2nd screen when it says choose output to deduct an additional fee from though. Can you explain what that means and how it works?
The transaction fee is the difference between the amount spent by the inputs, and the amount sent to the outputs. In order to increase the transaction fee, you either need to add a new input or reduce an output. What this software does it reduces one of the outputs, which you can choose. By default it chooses the last output.

assist5

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 09:16:57 PM

The transaction fee is the difference between the amount spent by the inputs, and the amount sent to the outputs. In order to increase the transaction fee, you either need to add a new input or reduce an output. What this software does it reduces one of the outputs, which you can choose. By default it chooses the last output.

I only have one output does that matter? Also what would you suggest I do if the recommended fee amount is more than the output amount?
HI-TEC99
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2017, 10:15:04 PM
Last edit: February 27, 2017, 10:31:59 PM by HI-TEC99

I only have one output does that matter? Also what would you suggest I do if the recommended fee amount is more than the output amount?

I don't think it matters that you only have one output.

The size of your transction is too big for you to pay the 200 satoshis/byte recommended by bitcoinfees, or even 100 satoshis/byte.

https://bitcoinfees.21.co/

Your transaction's size is 2257 bytes, so if you paid 10 satoshis/byte your total fee would be 0.0002257 BTC (22570 satoshis). You are sending 0.001019 BTC, so you would receive 0.0007933 BTC if you paid a 10 satoshis/byte fee. Bitcoinfees says a 10 satoshis/byte should get your transaction included after another 5 blocks (in about an hour).

If you paid a 50 satoshis/byte fee about half of the Bitcoins you are sending would be used for the fee.
JanpriX

Activity: 1708
Merit: 606

Buy The F*cking Dip

View Profile
March 03, 2017, 07:40:12 PM

Today I am announcing the Bitcoin Transaction Fee Booster.

This is my response to the constant complaints about users who are waiting a long time for confirmations. The program gives the user two options to increase the fee of their unconfirmed transactions, Replace-By-Fee for senders and Child Pays For Parent for receivers. The software will take the raw hex of a transaction, ask the user for some information, and create an unsigned transaction which can be signed outside of the program. Then the signed transaction can be broadcast from the software.

Usage
Using the Fee Booster is very simple and follows a wizard with step by step instructions.

Download the zip file from https://github.com/achow101/FeeBooster/releases. Extract everything inside to the same folder. Double click the FeeBooster.jar file to start the program.

First you enter the raw hex of the transaction and choose whether you sent or received it. Then, if you sent the transaction, you will be brought to a page which asks you to set the increased fee of the RBF transaction and the output to deduct the fee from. If you received, you will be brought to a page to select the output you want to spend from, the address to send to, and the fee for the child transaction. The next page is the unsigned transaction that the software made and you must take this to your own wallet to be signed. Lastly, the signed transaction can be broadcast from the software.

How it works
The program uses https://bitcoinfees.21.co/ to calculate the optimal fee for the transaction. It also uses blockcypher.com's api for retrieving some other information for the transaction. To send the transaction, the program uses the BitcoinJ library.

Security
The program, as of now, does not take your private keys. This is a planned feature to allow signing within the program, but currently that does not happen. The software produces an unsigned transaction which can be independently verified to see that it makes the right transaction. It will also display the transaction id of the broadcasted transaction and that can be verified to be the transaction that the user intended. This software is not malicious

Source code
The Fee Booster is open source. The source code is available at https://github.com/achow101/FeeBooster. Pull requests are welcome

License
The Fee Booster is licensed under the GNU General Public License Version 3. The full license can be found at https://github.com/achow101/FeeBooster/blob/master/LICENSE.

Donations
If you have found this program helpful, please support the developer (me) and donate to 1QDNS5XuUEcdjQn4TU4qvXRnVtVv4CsssC

Disclaimer
This software comes as is and may have some bugs. I am not responsible if you happen to lose any of your coins when using this software. Always check the transaction before you send it.

Edit: typos

Wow, this looks promising man. Thanks for sharing this to us. We all know that more and more people are suffering with the long confirmation time of their bitcoin transfer. This would greatly help them in various ways. Will I be able to use it now? Do I just need to download the file that you provided above and just follow the steps?
achow101 (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2017, 08:00:14 PM

Wow, this looks promising man. Thanks for sharing this to us. We all know that more and more people are suffering with the long confirmation time of their bitcoin transfer. This would greatly help them in various ways. Will I be able to use it now? Do I just need to download the file that you provided above and just follow the steps?
Yes. You will need to have Java installed, but the download should work immediately. There are a few bugs and weirdness with the program. I have not had the time to update it or fix issues.

grnqrtr

Activity: 26
Merit: 2

View Profile
March 07, 2017, 11:44:08 AM

For some reason I can't get past the first window of your program. I paste in the raw hex of my transaction, but nothing happens when I click the next button. I think it is a valid raw transaction because if I alter it at all and then click next an error window pops up that says, "Please enter a valid transaction." But for some reason it won't advance to the next screen with the valid transaction.
achow101 (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2017, 02:39:41 PM

For some reason I can't get past the first window of your program. I paste in the raw hex of my transaction, but nothing happens when I click the next button. I think it is a valid raw transaction because if I alter it at all and then click next an error window pops up that says, "Please enter a valid transaction." But for some reason it won't advance to the next screen with the valid transaction.
It's probably failing to connect to the APIs it uses to calculate the fee and get info about the transaction. Restart it and try again.

topesis

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 10, 2017, 12:55:47 PM

What a great idea, I have said this before that there is no need for this infighting on scaling issue, the market will solve its problem. The question I will like to ask is how many daily user does this application have per day
wizzardTim
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1000

Reality is stranger than fiction

View Profile
April 26, 2017, 06:10:51 PM
Last edit: April 26, 2017, 08:56:51 PM by wizzardTim

UPDATE: Solved!

Hallo!!

Great project, thank you for your contribution to the community.

1. I am trying to add a bigger fee to a tx that I received in Electrum, but when I enter the "Address to pay to" => 32vXwGiGQiLiRpdBNM2BtSC36ciLwwJDYx, it says Error-Invalid Address. This address is an address that belong to the Electrum wallet and will surely have the needed satoshis for the fee. Is it a bug with multisig addresses?

2. From what I understand, the "Address to pay to" should just be filled with an address that belongs to the wallet and has the needed satoshis for the fee. There is no correlation with the unverified tx that I try to resend with bigger fee, right? edit: Or should I enter the output address of the unconfirmed tx? (regarding CPFP )

Edit: this is the tx https://blockchain.info/tx/e4ba20ccaa6d1eeafa49ddb4ae55032c7f6a099a611ddadc240bb4b3bb6cca96

and the error:

Behold the Tangle Mysteries! Dare to know It's truth.

- Excerpt from the IOTA Sacred Texts Vol. I
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: