Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 03:00:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: (GPU Mining) First Bitcoin... Then Ethereum... What next?  (Read 2832 times)
Raja_MBZ (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1505

View Profile
June 11, 2016, 07:33:41 AM
Last edit: June 11, 2016, 02:08:34 PM by Raja_MBZ

OK, so the difficulty has been pumping off in Ethereum mining, just like it happened in Bitcoin when people used to mine it with GPU (I don't think so that people still mine Bitcoin much with GPU).

https://etherscan.io/charts/difficulty

So my question is, within the current conditions, what cryptocurrency do you guys think the GPU miners will move to after Ethereum becomes a loss to mine? Vertcoin? Is someone already mining it with GPU? If so, any profit being generated?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
June 11, 2016, 09:33:34 AM

There's a difficulty bomb in place for Ethereum which means the difficulty keep increasing regardless of miners:

Difficulty adjustment scheme

A lot of you have been wondering how we would implement a switch from PoW to PoS in time for Serenity. This will be handled by the newly introduced difficulty adjustment scheme, which elegantly guarantees a hard-fork point in the next 16 months.

It works as follow: starting from block 200,000 the difficulty will undergo an exponential increase which will only become noticeable in about a year. At that point (just around the release of the Serenity milestone), we’ll see a significant increase in difficulty which will start pushing the block resolution time upwards.

So, a year on, the network will continue to be useful for roughly 3-4 months, but eventually will reach an ‘Ice Age’ of sorts: the difficulty will simply be too high for anyone to find a block. This will allow us to introduce PoS, perhaps via Casper, if it proves itself.

Nobody GPU mines Litecoin anymore. It's ASIC territory, just like Bitcoin.

Not your keys, not your coins!
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
June 11, 2016, 09:49:38 AM

are other ethereum clone affected by this shitty diff  scheme? i hope not
Raja_MBZ (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2016, 09:53:39 AM

There's a difficulty bomb in place for Ethereum which means the difficulty keep increasing regardless of miners:

Difficulty adjustment scheme

A lot of you have been wondering how we would implement a switch from PoW to PoS in time for Serenity. This will be handled by the newly introduced difficulty adjustment scheme, which elegantly guarantees a hard-fork point in the next 16 months.

It works as follow: starting from block 200,000 the difficulty will undergo an exponential increase which will only become noticeable in about a year. At that point (just around the release of the Serenity milestone), we’ll see a significant increase in difficulty which will start pushing the block resolution time upwards.

So, a year on, the network will continue to be useful for roughly 3-4 months, but eventually will reach an ‘Ice Age’ of sorts: the difficulty will simply be too high for anyone to find a block. This will allow us to introduce PoS, perhaps via Casper, if it proves itself.

Nobody GPU mines Litecoin anymore. It's ASIC territory, just like Bitcoin.

So no replacement of Ethereum once it becomes extremely hard on GPU mining? What about Dash?

I'm planning to purchase GPU of $200-$300 and then buy more time-to-time. But it'd be pretty bad to see once ether mining becomes useless. GPU miners will have to explore some sort of replacement.
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
June 11, 2016, 01:21:14 PM

are other ethereum clone affected by this shitty diff  scheme? i hope not

I don't think so. Its sole purpose as far as I understand is to act as a transition from PoW to PoS. I'm not sure why they didn't decrese the blockreward instead.

So no replacement of Ethereum once it becomes extremely hard on GPU mining? What about Dash?

I'm planning to purchase GPU of $200-$300 and then buy more time-to-time. But it'd be pretty bad to see once ether mining becomes useless. GPU miners will have to explore some sort of replacement.

Dash is x11 and there are x11 ASICs which means it's a bad choice for GPU mining.

Not your keys, not your coins!
9feet

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 11, 2016, 01:56:04 PM

dude everybody got you backward dash and ltc ? come on their gpu days are all over  Roll Eyes... there's simply no way to tell but the next gpu coin will always come around.

btc..ltc..vtc..drk/dash..and eth now..

vtc is always a gpu coin as the coin devs determined to keep it that way.

Useli Violent

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 11, 2016, 06:52:33 PM

OK, so the difficulty has been pumping off in Ethereum mining, just like it happened in Bitcoin when people used to mine it with GPU (I don't think so that people still mine Bitcoin much with GPU).

https://etherscan.io/charts/difficulty

So my question is, within the current conditions, what cryptocurrency do you guys think the GPU miners will move to after Ethereum becomes a loss to mine? Vertcoin? Is someone already mining it with GPU? If so, any profit being generated?

Ha, ha - that is the $64MM question everyone and their brother would like to know...

██████████ YoBit.net - Cryptocurrency Exchange - Over 350 coins
█████████    <<  ● $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$   >>
██████████    <<  ● Play DICE! Win 1-5 btc just for 5 mins!  >>
Tmdz

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 12, 2016, 02:52:11 AM

Ether is holding the entire gpu mining scene up.

Once it gets too hard we can hope that another coin will become very wealthy but so far nothing can match the profit of ether.  There is no clear option at this point though so just enjoy it while it lasts
EssentialCoin

Activity: 354
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 12, 2016, 10:25:50 AM

dude everybody got you backward dash and ltc ? come on their gpu days are all over  Roll Eyes... there's simply no way to tell but the next gpu coin will always come around.

btc..ltc..vtc..drk/dash..and eth now..

vtc is always a gpu coin as the coin devs determined to keep it that way.

From the middle of 2014 to middle of 2013, there was not many profitable coins to mine. That is a whole year.

▄▄████████▄▄
  ▄██▀▀      ▀▀██▄
 ▄█▀   ▄████▄   ▀█▄               ▄▄██████▄▄
▄█▀    ██████    ▀█▄             ▄█▀▀ ▄▄ ▀▀█▄
██     ▀████▀     ██            ▄█▀  ████  ▀█▄
██     ▄▄▄▄▄▄     ██            ██    ▀▀    ██
██    ████████    ██            ▀█▄ ▄████▄ ▄█▀
▀█▄  ██████████  ▄█▀             ▀█▄▄ ▀▀ ▄▄█▀
 ▀█▄ ▀████████▀ ▄█▀               ████████▀▀
  ▀██▄▄ ▀▀▀▀ ▄▄██▀               ██
    ▀▀████████▀▀██▄             ██
                 ▀██ ▄▄██████▄▄██
                   ███▀▀ ▄▄ ▀▀██▄
                  ▄█▀   ████   ▀█▄
                  ██    ▀██▀    ██
                  ██    ▄▄▄▄    ██
                  ▀█▄  ██████  ▄█▀
                   ▀██▄▄ ▀▀ ▄▄██▀
                     ▀▀██████▀▀
REPME

██  ▄██
  ▄██▀
██▀▄██
  ▄██▀
██▀▄██
  ▄██▀
██▀▄██
  ▄██▀
██▀▄██
  ▄██▀
██▀  ██

██  ▄██
  ▄██▀
██▀▄██
  ▄██▀
██▀▄██
  ▄██▀
██▀▄██
  ▄██▀
██▀▄██
  ▄██▀
██▀  ██
TRANSPARENT LINKING & SOCIAL RECRUITING WILL
DOMINATE THE GLOBAL HR INDUSTRY
Liquid71

Activity: 835

There is NO Freedom without Privacy

View Profile
June 12, 2016, 02:23:12 PM

The next big thing to mine is Shitcoin

After Ether everything will be unprofitable and GPU's will be selling dirt cheap. Until enough rigs are sold and turned off GPU mining will be much like after litecoins bust, pointless.

dannygroove

Activity: 306

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2016, 02:26:07 PM

Its never pointless to lucky ones with free electricity.
Charloz24

Activity: 966
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 12, 2016, 03:45:50 PM

The next big thing to mine is Shitcoin

After Ether everything will be unprofitable and GPU's will be selling dirt cheap. Until enough rigs are sold and turned off GPU mining will be much like after litecoins bust, pointless.

I was thinking THAT EXACT thing in summer 2014, GPU mining is now dead. 2 years later I have 18 GPU mining  Roll Eyes

And this time, BTC is rising.... that change a lot of things....
Raja_MBZ (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 13, 2016, 12:18:51 AM

This makes me really confused, whether I should spend off my money on GPU's and start mining ether or just leave it as it can become useless very soon. I remember the last time I purchased a good GPU back in 2010 for $250, I sold it for $25 in 2014, so if this drama of ether GPU mining ends up, my GPU would definitely get wasted off.

Is someone around here mining Monero? Maybe that's the coin to mine with GPU along with a bit of profit.
tntdgcr

Activity: 219
Merit: 100

Bitcoin Mining Hosting

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2016, 12:37:15 AM

This makes me really confused, whether I should spend off my money on GPU's and start mining ether or just leave it as it can become useless very soon. I remember the last time I purchased a good GPU back in 2010 for $250, I sold it for $25 in 2014, so if this drama of ether GPU mining ends up, my GPU would definitely get wasted off.

Is someone around here mining Monero? Maybe that's the coin to mine with GPU along with a bit of profit.

the right GPUs or the right combos of parts can be resold to many other markets then miners. So it sounds like ETH mining for you , see how 2016 shakes out , maybe mine an alt , or hold some for a paid off gaming computer. If / when another GPU coin comes around, you might also be ready in waiting.

OregonMines is expanding. Are you expanding with us?
Amph
Legendary

View Profile
June 13, 2016, 05:55:46 AM

it's still very profitable, so yes go ahead and buy a gpu to mine if you can, also bitcoin skyrocketing make this even more profitable despite the little crash in ethereum price
FruitBucket

Activity: 286

View Profile
June 14, 2016, 01:15:03 PM

In 2014, there were not many profitable coin to mine. The 2010 GPU is useless in 2014 mining any way. That is earlier than the 5870.

AveryWeb

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 15, 2016, 02:37:50 PM

I started mining BikerCoin (BIC) yesterday using my cpu (GPU also can be used) They are new and are easy to mine. I am using a low grade Intel Quad Core 2.4GHZ with a low 1GB video card.

In my first 17 hours I have received 126.1 BIC with an average hash rate of 50 H/s and using an average of 90% of my resources. Now granted I am taking a risk as there is no guarantee this coin will move anywhere but I am sitting on a potential gold mine even if they only move to the level of the Litecoin is currently at.

I do plan on upgrading my system once I read more about mining and what I actually need. I know Bitcoin is useless unless you have a massive rig so started here.

The coin officially launched on June 7th and was not horded by the developers. Your mining results are dependent on your system. I had my rig set up in under 5 mins using MinerGate.

Time will tell if this coin is successful or not but it does have potential! For more details visit:

http://bikercoin.org/

This is the mining pool I am currently using.

http://pool.bikercoin.org/

Not sure if this is the only pool available or if there are others as I am just starting out. Best fo luck to those that choose to give this coin a run.
limbaugh
Legendary

Activity: 1311

View Profile
June 15, 2016, 03:49:24 PM

it's still very profitable, so yes go ahead and buy a gpu to mine if you can, also bitcoin skyrocketing make this even more profitable despite the little crash in ethereum price

It's almost always a bad investment. Mining may never be profitable again.
Amph
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2016, 03:52:04 PM

i don't agree, i already roied on my gpu if i would sell them now, and this counting my high electricity

there profit to be made but you need to mine the most profitable each time, it's not always ethereum...
FruitBucket

Activity: 286

View Profile
June 16, 2016, 01:21:28 PM

i don't agree, i already roied on my gpu if i would sell them now, and this counting my high electricity

there profit to be made but you need to mine the most profitable each time, it's not always ethereum...

ROI of GPU is different from ROI bitcoin ASIC miners. the only problem is that when we all sell the GPU at the same time, the price will crash.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: