Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 03:10:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: instawallet has fallen new owner stealing  (Read 13356 times)
greyhawk

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 07:42:33 PM

but seriously good job your like Hitler

Because he stole all the Jew Gold?  Huh
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 07:45:25 PM

I have gotten several pms from people saying they had the same thing happen. apparently the day the ownership changed is the day my cash got hacked

Wait... What??

OK, in which day did the ownership change, mind telling us?
Injust
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 07:49:55 PM

I have gotten several pms from people saying they had the same thing happen. apparently the day the ownership changed is the day my cash got hacked

Wait... What??

The ownership changed? HUH?
What ownership? Tongue
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 08:11:49 PM

I have gotten several pms from people saying they had the same thing happen. apparently the day the ownership changed is the day my cash got hacked. this is a big scam and obviously several people have been employed to cover it up. well have fun with that im sure what you deserve will come around eventually. seriously the same day ownership changes and a Russian hacker robs me!? I call bullshit. but seriously good job your like Hitler huge accomplishments but really fucked up

Those are some serious allegations. You better put some more info here along with them.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
NegativeNancy

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 08:16:48 PM

I have gotten several pms from people saying they had the same thing happen. apparently the day the ownership changed is the day my cash got hacked. this is a big scam and obviously several people have been employed to cover it up. well have fun with that im sure what you deserve will come around eventually. seriously the same day ownership changes and a Russian hacker robs me!? I call bullshit. but seriously good job your like Hitler huge accomplishments but really fucked up
And not one of them bothered to post in your thread? Doubtful.
battmann

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

I am a student of programming and design.

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 08:29:47 PM

Hahahahaa oh man my sides! I wish i was employed by Instawallet!  Lol this is hilarious, they offered you a police investigation AND YOU REFUSED on a 40k btc issue. This couldn't sound more made up. I mean I dislike the company, but you must really hate them.

If you don't remember windy guy I was the one who spent a half a minute to lead you to the instawallet cold storage...its like your five!

Man, I cannot wait to see who you start flaming next. I think I saw Blockchain.info steal your coins, go go go! ^.^
greyhawk

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 08:40:50 PM

Pretty sure the dude got his system keylogged, so we might be in for some more fun.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 09:10:57 PM

Pretty sure the dude got his system keylogged, so we might be in for some more fun.
"Blockchain.info colluding with instawallet owners - they stole from me too!"
wtfvanity

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

WTF???

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 09:37:56 PM

Wait... What??

The ownership changed? HUH?
What ownership? Tongue

The only ownership that changed is when you sent your coins to some web wallet. You owned them, then gave ownership to someone else. For convenience sake that may make sense for a hundred bucks or less. For $40,000...

WTF!     Don't Click Here              
          .      .            .            .        .            .            .          .        .     .               .            .             .            .            .           .            .     .               .         .              .           .            .            .            .     .      .     .    .     .          .            .          .            .            .           .              .     .            .            .           .            .               .         .            .     .            .            .             .            .              .            .            .      .            .            .            .            .            .            .             .          .
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 09:55:34 PM

On this report:

Quantitative Analysis of the Full Bitcoin Transaction Graph

http://eprint.iacr.org/2012/584.pdf

Page 11

Instawallet has 633,606 in accumulated incoming BTC

At 47.50 it is worth 30 Million Dollars!!!!

If Instawallet has fallen, this is Bitcoin's biggest theft.

But what about how many bitcoins have gone out?

EDIT: actually even if that number is right- it doesn't mean it's worth 30 millions dollars. Technically it's worth nothing as they don't make a profit (as far as I know). If they steal it all, that's another story.

more or less retired.
doobadoo

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 10:11:36 PM

I'm not familiar with how instawallet works.  But i hear that the site sends you a javascript app which is run in the browser.  Your wallet is stored on the server in an encrypted form.  In order to steal bitcoin you must have the wallet.dat's priv keys. 

Lets assume instawallet folks are on the up and up, how would this attack have occurred.
So for a 3rd party to steal your coin he would have to:

1) obtain your encrypted wallet and brute force it:

-Intercept it by snooping your network
or
-crack the instawallet server and dl them all

If SSL is setup properly, i understand that is nearly impossible to intercept it.  even if you can sniff every packet (See diffe-helman exchange)
Crackin the instawallet server, maybe it happened and they do not know/wont admit

But then your wallet would still be password protected.  And unless you used a simple password (rainbow attack) this would not result in stolen coins.

2) Obtain your encrypted wallet + password
Again, he would need to crack the exchange, or some how defeat ssl AND have a keylogger on your machine

3) Send you a poisoned version of the javascript code that redirected your password entry to a 3rd party server in the clear:
--some type of dns attack, but even then the SSL cert should fail (not too knowledgable in this)

4)--Some type of malware (you've been rooted):
 caught your encrypted or unencrypted wallet when it was paged/cached to disk by your browser (not sure how all browsers handle it)
caught the link to your wallet from history/bookmarks
caught you pass from keylogging

4) social attack:  some one had physical access to your device, copied the link from your bookmarks/history and installed a keylogger/knew your pass

Any other attack vectors we can think of, and how likely are each above?  What device/os did this occur on and is this the only device you accessed the wallet on?  how long was the account open, and how long were the coins there before the theft?  i'm guessing "a while" because you say you won this playing SD.   

"It is, quite honestly, the biggest challenge to central banking since Andrew Jackson." -evoorhees
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 10:20:20 PM

doobadoo:
You write too much. You should read more. Maybe even triple read you replies before clicking the Post button...
Maybe with a bit more reading you wouldn't confuse Instawallet.org with Blockchain.info....

What the hell is going on with this forum today? Half of the users got brain paralysis or what?
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 10:20:51 PM

Instawallet wallets are not password protected.
doobadoo

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 10:40:38 PM

Well, there's your problem right there.  Again, i said in my post that i don't know how instawallet worked.  I assumed (yes asses out of you and me) that they worked like blockchain.info....

Still how did the hacker get the copy of hte wallet (assuming instawallet didn't rip him off)?   it would still be encrypted by ssl.  does the browser page it off to disk?  is all you need to access the wallet is knowing the url?  unbelievable weak security if true.

"It is, quite honestly, the biggest challenge to central banking since Andrew Jackson." -evoorhees
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 10:45:21 PM

Well, there's your problem right there.  Again, i said in my post that i don't know how instawallet worked.  I assumed (yes asses out of you and me) that they worked like blockchain.info....

Still how did the hacker get the copy of hte wallet (assuming instawallet didn't rip him off)?   it would still be encrypted by ssl.  does the browser page it off to disk?  is all you need to access the wallet is knowing the url?  unbelievable weak security if true.

Well, it's gotta be saved somewhere on the local computer in order for you to access it again in the future.  Unless you like typing long random strings of characters...

It is very weak security, but that doesn't stop people from using it.  I've used it before too.  It's very simple, convenient, and fast to use, which is nice.  Just don't put significant funds (LOL $40k) in it.
doobadoo

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 11:21:03 PM

So if instawallet has access your coin isn't this just a matter of time till they are hacked, or "hacked" and they all run off with the coins.

SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 11:26:41 PM

So if instawallet has access your coin isn't this just a matter of time till they are hacked, or "hacked" and they all run off with the coins.
One could speculate as much, though I'd say davout is one of the more trustworthy members of this community.  Certainly, $30M worth of BTC is a tantalizing prospect, but many people (myself included) still have morals they won't compromise no matter the dollar figure in question.
thewindrock (OP)

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 11:38:17 PM

yeah he offers me help with police investigation but after emailing him some more he says there is no way I will get any money back so why would I waste my time convincing a police man to help me get my virtual wealth back.. lol its like if someone stole you monopoly money and you couldn't have family game night anymore. it seems like the owner of the site would try to help me track down a robber from his site, but since he is most likely letting it be hacked or helping with it..im screwed no my computer has not been compromised and yes I have my url on a written piece of paper that I type every single time.. I want my jew gold back lol.. correct me if I am wrong but ownership(went over seas) changed on 3/2/13 didn't it? I could be mistaken but that is what other members have told me that have also been robed in the last few weeks.. everyone get your coins out of instawallet if you don't want to lose them all.. this is a pretty fair warning to not screw up like I did.
doobadoo

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 11:41:09 PM

I want my jew gold back lol..

Ok, i call troll at this point.  You lose $40K, and start making jokes about jews?  Seriously.

Injust
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 01:41:39 AM

Did something happen?
On Instawallet's site, whatever webpage you try to go to, it gives a "We're sorry, but something went wrong." message.
WTF? Tongue
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: