Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 02:47:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: instawallet has fallen new owner stealing  (Read 13347 times)
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 11:12:47 AM

Or in your hotwallet, for that matter.

Or in any wallet whose private key has been generated by a computer connected to a network or having a wireless connection or an USB port or a printer...

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2013, 03:28:42 PM

Or in your hotwallet, for that matter.

Or in any wallet whose private key has been generated by a computer connected to a network or having a wireless connection or an USB port or a printer...

I told my girlfriend that old piece of shit laptop would come in handy one day.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 03:57:33 PM

For others reading this, you have not been scammed if you have failed to do your own security. $40k should NEVER be online unless you are about to buy something for $40k. In an online wallet I would not want more than $300. Because that is how much I am willing to loose and not cry. Also consider paying for a VPN.
If I use two factor authentication over a VPN to access $100. I am not among the low hanging fruit.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 15, 2013, 04:31:10 PM

I told my girlfriend that old piece of shit laptop would come in handy one day.

I have a Raspberry Pi that is not connected to a network and only runs the wallet generation software over Linux. It is in an office that has 2 recording security cameras watching both entrances and this is in the middle part, not seen by a camera. I was told to put it in a safe when I am not there, and I could, but that is too much as I will anyway be aware if someone enters the premises, because of the alarm.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
yodog

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 10:27:49 AM

My 52.39 btc is also 'missing' sent from one instawallet to another address and the coins are not showing up in the block chain, and the new address isn't showing up either cause its never been used.....

and yet on the address where the 52.39 btc were sent from shows unspent coins but they are no longer in the instawallet Sad

http://blockchain.info/unspent?active=17iQhdkNpoxYcNNcXodPjTWUqSuTC8XaF4&format=html   
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 04:27:52 PM

yodog, send a PM to user Davout here in the forum. He's the only one who can help you.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=pm;sa=send;u=1929
instaBoost

Activity: 84

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 06:00:30 PM

40k in a online wallet? we official reached a new low in intelligence...

Donations: 12wqXQuExLnWoWWQy7j35hzBEW91bUz1YS
XRP: rDRho51t4StfNqEWrYKBAteJKyDeo5crZz
yodog

Activity: 99

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 07:16:44 PM

yodog, send a PM to user Davout here in the forum. He's the only one who can help you.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=pm;sa=send;u=1929

I did no response, I also left a message in the instawallet thread... and wow I sent 1 email to support, and posted the same situation a couple times where others had same issue and the guy tore my head off... (see below)

Hey, why don't you open an additionnal 10 threads complaining about this issue ?
Don't forget to send 5 PMs and 3 e-mails to the support. Oh wait, you can also tweet and facebook it.
Hey, and maybe you want my personal phone number to text me every five minutes about your 50 BTC ?
And you know, my personal address to stand in front of my door, knock every 30 seconds and wonder if I'm taking care of your issue.

Protip : If you have an issue with Instawallet send an e-mail to the support, and look at a calendar, if the current date is a saturday or a sunday, chances are I am currently not working, so kick back, read a book, get some flowers for your wife, do something interesting, go have a walk, get some good time. You will be taken care of. Nagging about your issue using every possible channel is just incredibly rude and useless.

I work almost every day to take care of stuff and help where help is needed, Instawallet is a free service, so I'd appreciate not being constantly harassed by people who think waiting twelve hours is too much and that they're the only ones to need attention. If you don't like this please go store your coins elsewhere.

Thank you very much for your understanding and consideration.
thewindrock (OP)

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 11:11:38 PM
Last edit: March 17, 2013, 10:41:48 AM by thewindrock

im actually an itelectual bad ass I was about to send the 740 btc to a secure wallet I was just using instawallet as a quick holder for a few days as I built my new system and poof it was gone.. yeah i cant really afford to lose that.. your right
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2013, 11:34:03 PM

My 52.39 btc is also 'missing' sent from one instawallet to another address and the coins are not showing up in the block chain, and the new address isn't showing up either cause its never been used.....

and yet on the address where the 52.39 btc were sent from shows unspent coins but they are no longer in the instawallet Sad

http://blockchain.info/unspent?active=17iQhdkNpoxYcNNcXodPjTWUqSuTC8XaF4&format=html    

I like IW, but something has changed recently and I can't put my finger on it.

Before, I was able to see my wallet in BlockChain and it will have the same amount as I view it on IW's URL page. Now the BlockChain continues to read 0 available with the coins set to some other address(es), yet still see a balance on the IW URL page. I'm still able to send coins and they get to their destination rather quickly.

To see what I mean, here's an address I set up to pay out a bounty: http://blockchain.info/address/1JppeHVdYQEBGR4uHVTqLQsb2FY1wUTziH

The wallet shows $0, yet at IW I clearly have 0.105 BTC of which I can still send, hopefully.

I look forward to having some light shed on this.

~Bruno K~

PS: To be clear, the wallet address is 1JppeHVdYQEBGR4uHVTqLQsb2FY1wUTziH
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 11:37:35 PM

im actually an itelectual bad ass I was about to send the 740 btc to a secure wallet I was just using instawallet as a quick holder for a few days as I built my new system and poof it was gone. but either way that is the amount I can afford to lose and not die over, but even if I only had 2 BTC stolen I would still try to get them back or alert other people..Im not stupid Its not like I put 20,000 bitcoins In an online wallet.

Calling troll on this one.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2013, 11:52:22 PM

im actually an itelectual bad ass I was about to send the 740 btc to a secure wallet I was just using instawallet as a quick holder for a few days as I built my new system and poof it was gone. but either way that is the amount I can afford to lose and not die over, but even if I only had 2 BTC stolen I would still try to get them back or alert other people..Im not stupid Its not like I put 20,000 bitcoins In an online wallet.

Wait one fuckin' minute!:

lost over 700 coins!! wtf! this is fucked up! i was about to cash out

The title of the thread is "bit instant has been hacked".

THEN...

Thread title for above: please if you know anything about bitinstant stealing coins post here

Now he's claiming to have lost funds he's able to afford via InstantWallet--not Bit Instant.

Well, somebody blow me, jack me off, and stick a finger two fingers three fingers up my ass.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 16, 2013, 11:56:01 PM

THEN...

Thread title for above: please if you know anything about bitinstant stealing coins post here

Now he's claiming to have lost funds he's able to afford via InstantWallet--not Bit Instant.

Well, somebody blow me, jack me off, and stick a finger two fingers three fingers up my ass.

It seems the "intelectual badass", translation: moron, can't even tell the difference between bitinstant and instawallet.
Or maybe it was his autocorrect that changed dumbass to badass... Roll Eyes
Intelectual dumbass would really fit perfectly. Damn you, autocorrect!
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2013, 12:00:41 AM

THEN...

It seems the "intelectual badass", translation: moron, can't even tell the difference between bitinstant and instawallet.

Thus, deserves to loose his money. I'm guessing he went to Pattaya and still is bitter about paying for services when he picked up the wrong gender. (think about that last sentence)
Injust
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 12:02:34 AM

Before, I was able to see my wallet in BlockChain and it will have the same amount as I view it on IW's URL page. Now the BlockChain continues to read 0 available with the coins set to some other address(es), yet still see a balance on the IW URL page. I'm still able to send coins and they get to their destination rather quickly.

To see what I mean, here's an address I set up to pay out a bounty: http://blockchain.info/address/1JppeHVdYQEBGR4uHVTqLQsb2FY1wUTziH

The wallet shows $0, yet at IW I clearly have 0.105 BTC of which I can still send, hopefully.

I look forward to having some light shed on this.

~Bruno K~

I'm pretty sure that it's because Instawallet transfer BTC from their mass amount of wallets, so like if you transfered BTC1 to that wallet, and somebody requested a payout of BTC1, it would get the coins from your wallet to save on fees.
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2013, 12:04:21 AM

[...]

~Bruno K~

Dear Bruno,

Instawallet has always worked like a shared wallet, nothing has ever changed in this respect.

The fact you used to see coins remain at the deposit address simply means that :
 - there used to be less coin turnover,
 - the cold storage was less used,
 - any combination of the previous reasons.

Some stuff does change though, you used to get your transaction ID back immediately when sending coins, that's not the case anymore, sends are now asynchronously handled by a background worker. That's much more secure in terms of potential race conditions, much more robust in terms of infrastructure, much more maintenable (since now I can simply stop the worker, do some work on bitcoind and switch it back on).

The traffic also increases a lot, to give you an idea, our average weekly turnover is around 10kBTC in, and 10kBTC out, it recently peaked at around 50kBTC/week.

Your wallet has exactly the amount you expect to be available, you can't rely on blockchain.info to tell you how much is available in an account on a shared wallet.

This is how your balance is calculated :

Hope it's clearer Smiley

MAC

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 12:39:44 AM

[...]

~Bruno K~

Dear Bruno,

Instawallet has always worked like a shared wallet, nothing has ever changed in this respect.

The fact you used to see coins remain at the deposit address simply means that :

Some stuff does change though, you used to get your transaction ID back immediately when sending coins, that's not the case anymore, sends are now asynchronously handled by a background worker. That's much more secure in terms of potential race conditions, much more robust in terms of infrastructure, much more maintenable (since now I can simply stop the worker, do some work on bitcoind and switch it back on).

The traffic also increases a lot, to give you an idea, our average weekly turnover is around 10kBTC in, and 10kBTC out, it recently peaked at around 50kBTC/week.

Your wallet has exactly the amount you expect to be available, you can't rely on blockchain.info to tell you how much is available in an account on a shared wallet.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/52452135/Capture%20d%E2%80%99%C3%A9cran%202013-03-17%20%C3%A0%2001.00.31.png

Hope it's clearer Smiley
You've always being running a fractional reserve bank through.
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 07:52:51 AM

Use easywallet.org for this kind of stuff:
- I know the operator
- He receives 0.0335% daily fee for the storage so he does not need to steal
- There is an automatic, functioning mixer

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2013, 07:56:52 AM

[...]

~Bruno K~

Dear Bruno,

Hope it's clearer Smiley

That's a fine explanation I can live with. Thanks, bud.

~Bruno K~
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
March 17, 2013, 08:28:36 AM

definitely.

EDIT: why use an online wallet to temporarily store sizable amounts of coins. Use a paper wallet or vanitygen or whatever for fucks sake.

EDIT2: shit, I fell for the troll

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: