Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 10:31:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What exactly is a "constructive post"?  (Read 888 times)
pandalion98 (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2016, 10:21:55 AM

I see a lot of threads and discussions mentioning the term, especially in signature campaigns and such.
How would someone define a constructive post?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
minifrij
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1267

In Memory of Zepher

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2016, 10:46:50 AM

It's subjective. A constructive post is (IMO) a post that adds to the conversation/answers a query whilst still having effort put into it.
It's difficult to define, however it is not difficult to distinguish. Low quality posts tend to repeat things that have already been said (either in the thread or in their post) to stretch out their post length/count, or say things that have no relevance to the thread /conversation (E.G saying something like 'I hope the price stays high' in a Speculation thread).

I started a similar thread to this a while back, of you would like to read it.
ImHash

Activity: 924
Merit: 506

View Profile
June 12, 2016, 10:49:20 AM

First you need to know the meaning of 'constructive'  then you would realize everything Cheesy
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4340
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
June 12, 2016, 10:51:21 AM

A constructive post is one that constructs a point of discussion, such as a thoughtful question, a useful answer to such a question, an argument in a debate, or an interesting opinion. The length of the post is immaterial, as it's possible for a even a single word to be constructive, while an essay-length babble of useless or off-topic non-information is not constructive. Posts such as "I like this", "This is good", "+1", without actual information to justify those opinions, are especially non-constructive and are deleted on sight, and the posters will be banned if they persist in making such useless posts.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
markj113
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1043

View Profile
June 12, 2016, 10:58:24 AM

Great thread bro Smiley
markj113
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1043

View Profile
June 12, 2016, 11:00:59 AM

The above is an example of a non constructive post  Smiley
ndnh
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1005

New Decentralized Nuclear Hobbit

View Profile
June 12, 2016, 01:14:50 PM
Last edit: June 12, 2016, 01:27:41 PM by ndnhc

I see a lot of threads and discussions mentioning the term, especially in signature campaigns and such.

You cannot define a constructive post because quite often the border between a constructive post and an non-constructive post is messy.
Some are clearly constructive, some are clearly not - but there are a lot in-between.

This is what I had put in for the FAQ in Da Dice campaign:
11. What do you mean by quality?
What we look for:
1. Genuineness. Posts are not made solely for the campaign.
2. Content. Posts are made with useful and meaningful information. Not made when there is no reason to.
3. Relevant. Does not repeat or rephrase something already said. Helpful to OP and/or others reading it. Conversations, etc., are quite fine. But that shouldn't be everything.
4. Understandability - We don't require very good English. But it should be reasonably understandable.
5. Contribution to the topic - Must meaningfully contribute to the discussion or topic or question.
What we don't:
1. Length. That said most of the posts should not be too short. Brief posts are fine, when only that is required to make the point.

Now an example of non-constructive post: Cheesy
Almost 900 Cheesy

Since you're a hobbit, you'll hit it ~1500 because of height Grin

You mean age Grin

That ring keeps me young  Cool

The thing is if I had made it to 2 lines on why it is almost 900, why it should have been more/less and other useless stuff, it wouldn't have got deleted.
Example: (unlikely to be deleted, though the content is almost the same)
MY activity is almost 900.. still not Legendary... think I will be the first person on bitcointalk to become Legendary on 1030 Grin

That explains why my views are different from mods views and every mod is like to have a different opinion, and every person on Earth is like to have a different opinion.
So forget definitions..
Constructiveness is subjective.
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
June 12, 2016, 08:53:03 PM

Great thread bro Smiley

The above is an example of a non constructive post  Smiley

Having penned a combined ~30K constructive posts on this forum myself, I'd say that the above in a quasi-example of a constructive post, my myriad threads alone affording theymos a handsome living due to the ad revenue dollars they've generated (and continue to do so), but I digress.

/s

PS: Another fine constructive post penned by yours truly.  Roll Eyes
arbitrage

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 12, 2016, 09:00:58 PM

Every post can be counted as constructive if not posted for money, or bitcoins..
(i'm not talkin bout obviously shity posts), and im sarcastic.

Why one line posts are bad?  They are not, but they are best way to characterised someone as spammer.

Im very disapointed with those head hunters who hinding their own asses behind accusations againts other mebers.
DarkStar_
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 3282

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2016, 09:08:51 PM

Why one line posts are bad?  They are not, but they are best way to characterised someone as spammer.
Usually one line posts aren't constructive because you usually can't contribute much with only a few words, and they take less effort then a post with actual thought in it. Not all one line posts are bad though - sometimes you can contribute a lot with only a few words, or answer a simple question.

Example: (Disclaimer: Personal bias might be present)
Damn, this is dangerous. Don't be fooled by their social engineering shits. Those damn bot and script kiddies are really false!

the dangerous thing is, the bot supposedly works and is reasonably good (From what I've heard). But that doesn't make it guarantee it's safe or virus free Sad
Hey Ryan, does CSGOCrash.com have your permission to use your code for Bustabit? It's being used for commercial use. If they don't you should prolly file a DMCA or something.
They do. https://www.bustabit.com/license.txt
My post quoted above has a useful purpose, even though it was 2 words. Unfortunatly, most one liners look like this:
Paypal and Bitcoin are both good ways of payment, as they allow us to pay people on the internet, to make transactions, and get paid by peoples.
Basically, echoing what multiple people have already said before.

taking a break - expect delayed responses
arbitrage

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 12, 2016, 09:24:03 PM

Usually one line posts aren't constructive because you usually can't contribute much with only a few words, and they take less effort then a post with actual thought in it. Not all one line posts are bad though - sometimes you can contribute a lot with only a few words, or answer a simple question.
No, minimalist approach is wise, you can do posts longer if you use more words and at the end you
have same sentence.. If you follow Greek philosophers you should know what i'm talking..
Also jokes are allowed..They can contribute to topic, and best jokes are short ones, for example, But in most cases they are removed.
Vhern

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 13, 2016, 01:07:08 AM

I've had a lot of idea about constructive post, or quality post. It helps me to the extent possible way, cause I ain't native speaker therefore thank you for this topic.  Cool

P.S I love being a registered member of this forum.  Roll Eyes
otrkid70

Activity: 920
Merit: 1014

View Profile
June 13, 2016, 01:46:25 AM

Constructive?  Don't you mean Interpreted?    It's all about interpretation....While one Mod comes along and reads it and Thinks...."I'ts constuctive" i'll move on another might come along and "Interprit" it as spam or as Non constructrive and boom you get it deleted or worse a Ban.

You may think it's constructive and adds to the value of the conversation but in who's mind?

Roll the dice and do your best to add value to the topic is what i say. 
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
June 13, 2016, 07:26:23 AM

there are recently the case of people calling every post with signature a blatant spam when it's not always true, there is only a great hating here and nothing else

everything that is not off topic or a blatant reiteration it's a costructive post in my view, everything else it's just bullshit because of hating like is aid above
Th3BlackBeard

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 13, 2016, 07:30:51 AM

Search the dictionary for the definition of constructive.
If your post makes sense and if your sentences is on topic, it doesn't necessarily has to be two sentences or longer. You just have to make sense and be helpful.
emblem2nd

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 13, 2016, 07:37:59 AM

Search the dictionary for the definition of constructive.
If your post makes sense and if your sentences is on topic, it doesn't necessarily has to be two sentences or longer. You just have to make sense and be helpful.

this would fall to the constructive but irrelevant posts. Same as mine.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: