Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:10:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I think we need to look back at history...  (Read 2811 times)
Anonymous

June 11, 2011, 05:05:38 PM

Correct me if I am wrong; however, in the past we have had huge declines such as these and only a few time cycles later the price went to new heights. I see very little to fear.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
k

Activity: 451
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 05:23:55 PM

it's pretty volatile alright.

chart up to 8th June 2011 - didn't download the data for last few days yet.

ocharry

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 05:24:33 PM

I really don't think anyone is fearing right now. Except maybe for those who bought at really high prices haha.
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 05:33:33 PM

Yes, this has happened a few times.  As recently as a month ago, in fact.  We went from around $9 to below $6 in a few short hours.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 05:41:26 PM

all i see is early adopters taking profits.  this strikes me as perfectly reasonable and expected.

i'm pleased they've done so well.
TonyHoyle

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 05:44:22 PM

I really don't think anyone is fearing right now. Except maybe for those who bought at really high prices haha.

I dunno.. watching BTC drop to half its value in a day gave me the willies.

OTOH I'm not too worried in the long term.
proudhon
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 05:45:03 PM

all i see is early adopters taking profits.  this strikes me as perfectly reasonable and expected.

Maybe.  Or, could be somebody who recently invested a lot of money, got spooked by the price turning down, and tried to recover at least a portion of what they put in.  I'd like to think early adopters would be a bit more cautious at cashing out.  Not just because they could do violence to the market, but because, at least in the most recent case, the person who cashed out could have very probably made a lot more had they done it patiently over several days instead of in a single transaction at low volume.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
Anonymous

June 11, 2011, 05:46:56 PM

all i see is early adopters taking profits.  this strikes me as perfectly reasonable and expected.

Maybe.  Or, could be somebody who recently invested a lot of money, got spooked by the price turning down, and tried to recover at least a portion of what they put in.  I'd like to think early adopters would be a bit more cautious at cashing out.  Not just because they could do violence to the market, but because, at least in the most recent case, the person who cashed out could have very probably made a lot more had they done it patiently over several days instead of in a single transaction at low volume.
They shouldn't. The more wealthy adopters who cash out, the better. It's a greater mass of the blockchain in the hands of more people. It may cause a little abrasion here and there but it's better than a fatal rupture in the long-term.
proudhon
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 05:50:07 PM

all i see is early adopters taking profits.  this strikes me as perfectly reasonable and expected.

They shouldn't. The more wealthy adopters who cash out, the better. It's a greater mass of the blockchain in the hands of more people. It may cause a little abrasion here and there but it's better than a fatal rupture in the long-term.

Oh, I agree that it's good for bitcoin in general when they cash out and their coins get distributed into more hands.  All I'm saying is that it's better for the market and themselves when they don't simply take a huge dump on the market.

Jaime Frontero

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 05:51:40 PM

pretty clearly not.

Or, could be somebody who recently invested a lot of money, got spooked by the price turning down, and tried to recover at least a portion of what they put in.

if you look through blockexplorer, you'll see that the 17,000 BTC transaction which precipitated this correction was made up of very old (2009 & 2010), mined blocks, with no internal transactions.  i'm reasonably sure this was a very early adopter.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 05:52:32 PM

Correct me if I am wrong; however, in the past we have had huge declines such as these and only a few time cycles later the price went to new heights. I see very little to fear.

totally agree.  and despite what the fear mongers on the forum say, they too believe it and want to capitalize on the selloff by BUYING.  otherwise, why would they be wasting their time posting FUD?
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 05:53:20 PM

it's pretty volatile alright.

chart up to 8th June 2011 - didn't download the data for last few days yet.

can you link me to this graph?
k

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 05:55:35 PM

does this work

https://i.imgur.com/nFfYN.png
proudhon
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 05:59:49 PM

pretty clearly not.

Or, could be somebody who recently invested a lot of money, got spooked by the price turning down, and tried to recover at least a portion of what they put in.

if you look through blockexplorer, you'll see that the 17,000 BTC transaction which precipitated this correction was made up of very old (2009 & 2010), mined blocks, with no internal transactions.  i'm reasonably sure this was a very early adopter.

How can you tell through blockexplorer what coins were involved in an MtGox transaction?  I'm sincerely asking.  I guess I assumed that internally to MtGox you weren't necessarily selling the coins you sent in.

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 06:05:08 PM

what i'm asking for is a site that i can regularly check this graph update.
Anonymous

June 11, 2011, 06:06:07 PM

I'm sure you can match the trade data on MtGox.
Jaime Frontero

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 06:06:21 PM

pretty clearly not.

How can you tell through blockexplorer what coins were involved in an MtGox transaction?  I'm sincerely asking.  I guess I assumed that internally to MtGox you weren't necessarily selling the coins you sent in.

go here:

http://blockexplorer.com/address/155kHCZstYaosoGRxthF1zsZFVFheVFPLS

then click on the blocks, one at a time.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 06:17:36 PM

How can you tell through blockexplorer what coins were involved in an MtGox transaction?  I'm sincerely asking.  I guess I assumed that internally to MtGox you weren't necessarily selling the coins you sent in.

go here:

nice detective work Jaime.  so an early adopter miner was responsible for the selloff starting at 20 and taking it down to 13?  the doom and gloomers got their wish.
k

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 06:36:34 PM

sorry, I just did it manually. Not automated and I'm not a coder so not that easy for me to automate it. (yet anyway)
Jaime Frontero

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 06:44:48 PM

How can you tell through blockexplorer what coins were involved in an MtGox transaction?  I'm sincerely asking.  I guess I assumed that internally to MtGox you weren't necessarily selling the coins you sent in.

go here:

nice detective work Jaime.  so an early adopter miner was responsible for the selloff starting at 20 and taking it down to 13?  the doom and gloomers got their wish.

it wasn't my work.  i only noticed it.

"i stand on  the shoulders of giants..." ~Bernard of Chartres
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: