Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 10:31:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trouble installing on Ubuntu 16.04  (Read 2140 times)
jamarsh (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 14, 2016, 07:55:14 PM

I had an electrum wallet on Ubuntu 14.04. I need to reinstall electrum on Ubuntu 16.04 and rebuild the wallet from the seed. I followed the instructions on the Electrum site using pip, but was not successful getting the application installed.
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
June 14, 2016, 08:10:20 PM

I installed core last week and it was a bit of a pain also. Make sure you have done the following:

1. Add the repository containing the download in software & updates.
2. Add any dependencies. For example (sudo apt-get install python-qt4 python-pip) is dependent in Electrum.
3. Then try (sudo pip install https://download.electrum.org/2.6.4/Electrum-2.6.4.tar.gz)

It should work with these steps, but does it?

This is claimed to also work:

1. Download and untar Electrum-2.6.4.tar.gz
2. In the electrum directory, run: 'python electrum'
3. To install it on your system, run: 'sudo python setup.py install'

any luck with that one?

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
jamarsh (OP)

View Profile
June 14, 2016, 09:16:32 PM

Thanks for your quick reply. I tried the second option and opted restore a wallet, entered my seed, but the "next" button remained faded, so I could not go any further.

So to your first option, where do I find the repository containing the download?
Regards,
jamarsh
Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
June 15, 2016, 01:49:04 PM

Thanks for your quick reply. I tried the second option and opted restore a wallet, entered my seed, but the "next" button remained faded, so I could not go any further.

So to your first option, where do I find the repository containing the download?
Regards,
jamarsh

Electrum is available inside Ubuntu packages. so the following will work fine:
Code:
sudo apt-get install electrum 

also for the second method, you can download the tarball from https://electrum.org/#download website.
scroll down to sources and download this file:
Electrum-2.6.4.tar.gz
tarball: https://download.electrum.org/2.6.4/Electrum-2.6.4.tar.gz
signature: https://download.electrum.org/2.6.4/Electrum-2.6.4.tar.gz.asc

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2016, 03:23:45 PM

Regards,
jamarsh
Looks like user Herbert2020 beat me to it. I have not installed Electrum in a while and would have had to google a repository.

krlnc1987

Activity: 1

View Profile
June 15, 2016, 06:41:40 PM

Ok guys I'm also trying to install electrum on 16.04. I'm looking at RodeoX's second option of installing electrum on Ubuntu 16.04. #2 of this option says "In the electrum directory, run: "python electrum". What does this mean? I've looked through the file I downloaded and don't know how to carry this task out. Can someone help me? I'm trying to get electrum installed on my pc.
jamarsh (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2016, 07:30:55 PM

Code:

I gave this a try and got the following response:
E: Unable to locate package electrum

RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2016, 08:20:23 PM

This does link to a copy of Electrum: https://download.electrum.org/2.6.4/Electrum-2.6.4.tar.gz

Sorry I can't write more. I am at work right now, but you should be able to DL this and unpack it.

Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 05:03:43 AM

Code:

this is linux related trouble so you should ask/google it.
read previous comments for alternate link to install it or do the following fix:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/378558/unable-to-locate-package-while-trying-to-install-packages-by-apt

although Electrum can't be found on xenial(which is Ubuntu 16.04LTS) for some reason, but it is on Trusty(which is the last LTS-14.04 varsion)

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
BitcoinSupremo
Copper Member

Activity: 1442
Merit: 529

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 06:56:43 AM

Code:

this is linux related trouble so you should ask/google it.
read previous comments for alternate link to install it or do the following fix:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/378558/unable-to-locate-package-while-trying-to-install-packages-by-apt

although Electrum can't be found on xenial(which is Ubuntu 16.04LTS) for some reason, but it is on Trusty(which is the last LTS-14.04 varsion)

You just need to add PPA of Electrum as it is not by default in the 16.04 LTS packages (google it as I am at work now and can't search it for you) I am sure you will find it pretty easily.
Also if you write in google search box (How to install electrum on ubuntu via terminal) you will get all the help needed. Give it a try. I installed Electrum via command line in both my Ubuntu Desktop and Mint Laptop by following simple guides online via the terminal.
rustbucket

Activity: 19

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 12:51:06 PM
Last edit: June 18, 2016, 04:41:40 PM by rustbucket

Hi there,

i'm also having trouble installing Electrum though on Ubuntu 14.04, not 16.04. Hope someone might be able to help nevertheless.

I'm a noob as far as Linux etc. is concerned, but I installed Ubuntu 14.04 on an offline laptop I use exclusively for BTC cold storage.

Up until now i've been happy with Electrum 1.9.8 but I have a new workaday laptop on which I will upgrade my hot wallet+watching wallet so I also should upgrade the cold storage wallet to 2.6.4.

I first made a copy of the 1.9.8 directory, then downloaded and copied the tar package onto the cold storage laptop. I have a written copy of my seed too, of course.

Without uninstalling version 1.9.8 I unpacked version 2.6.4 and ran the command 'python electrum' from within the 2.6.4 folder on the ubuntu laptop. Running the 'python electrum' command from within the folder his opens the familiar interface panel that is now titled "Electrum 2.6.4 - default wallet". However if I try to install it by running the command "sudo python setup.py install", also from within the 2.6.4 folder, nothing happens. Neither does it install a new icon on the desktop.

Well, I suppose something does happen - I can no longer open the previously installed version 1.9.8. Also the command "apt-cache search electrum" returns the following items:

"electrum - Easy to use bitcoin client
python-electrum - Easy to use bitcoin client - python module
text live - fonts - extra - TeXLive: Additional fonts"

Yet if I try an uninstall using either "apt-get", "sudo apt-get" or "pip uninstall" I get a message telling me neither are installed.

However if I run the command "pip show electrum" from a terminal it lists version 1.9.8 - does this mean that version 2.6.4 is not installed but 1.9.8 still is? Should I have taken steps to remove 1.9.8 first? Or have I just done everything ass-backwards? I'm a complete Linux/ubuntu noob and would really appreciate the help!

Thanks!!
Adrian

UPDATE: I (think) managed to begin the installation of version 2.6.4 from the terminal within the directory using the command "sudo python setup.py install" but I received a string of errors relating to "jsonrpclib" - can anyone help me out here??

Further update: I'm a noob, it just gets more complicated: I switched on WLAN to hook up to the internet to try install directly from the website and when trying to install received the following error log: I would really appreciate some help!!!!

------------------------------------------------------------
/usr/bin/pip run on Sat Jun 18 18:09:38 2016
Downloading/unpacking https://download.electrum.org/2.6.4/Electrum-2.6.4.tar.gz
Cleaning up...
  Removing temporary dir /tmp/pip_build_root...
Exception:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pip/basecommand.py", line 122, in main
    status = self.run(options, args)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pip/commands/install.py", line 278, in run
    requirement_set.prepare_files(finder, force_root_egg_info=self.bundle, bundle=self.bundle)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pip/req.py", line 1197, in prepare_files
    do_download,
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pip/req.py", line 1375, in unpack_url
    self.session,
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pip/download.py", line 546, in unpack_http_url
    resp = session.get(target_url, stream=True)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/requests/sessions.py", line 395, in get
    return self.request('GET', url, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pip/download.py", line 237, in request
    return super(PipSession, self).request(method, url, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/requests/sessions.py", line 383, in request
    resp = self.send(prep, **send_kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/requests/sessions.py", line 486, in send
    r = adapter.send(request, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/requests/adapters.py", line 378, in send
    raise ConnectionError(e)
ConnectionError: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='download.electrum.org', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /2.6.4/Electrum-2.6.4.tar.gz (Caused by <class 'socket.gaierror'>: [Errno -2] Name or service not known)
jamarsh (OP)

View Profile
June 21, 2016, 03:53:41 PM

Thanks for all the helpful responses. In the end, I went back and used the pip method to install a new wallet. Originally, I had wanted to restore an existing wallet but was unable to carry out the restore function during the installation. In the end, I just installed a new wallet. Once the new wallet was functional however, I was able to open the old data file "electrum.dat", of which I had made a backup copy and presto, my original wallet was available.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: