Bitcoin Forum
June 07, 2024, 09:52:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: newbie question - buy/sell diff  (Read 1404 times)
SatHunter (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 14, 2016, 10:45:28 PM

stupid question, probably. On YoBit, sometimes there is a small difference between the 'buy' and the 'sell' price, and sometimes there is a huge diff between them.

I don't understand what drives the difference between the 'buy' and the 'sell' price.  I can see the sell orders, and when one of them is used up, the price increases a little bit. Why don't the buy orders match? ie if the buy price goes up by 2 sats, why doesn't the sell price goes up 2 sats?

trading for dummies 101?
JarBinks

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 15, 2016, 04:21:51 AM

This is not a simple question.

I tend to find, This is about demand and volume.

In the very liquid markets like BTC->LTC the buy(bid) and sell(ask) prices are very close and orders tend to get satisfied quickly.
When you have a fringe altcoin, lets say BTC->CUBE, that has little volume and the difference between bid and ask, Spread, tends to be higher.

I think demand has more to do with it because bid and ask are set by people so it is what they are willing to trade for.
If you really want something you will pay more and potentially meet someone asking price.

Not really a good/complete answer but it is a start.

tyagi

Activity: 127

View Profile
June 15, 2016, 04:28:09 AM

i also have this question in my mind i was curious to know
davis196

Activity: 2996
Merit: 915

View Profile
June 15, 2016, 06:33:38 AM

stupid question, probably. On YoBit, sometimes there is a small difference between the 'buy' and the 'sell' price, and sometimes there is a huge diff between them.

I don't understand what drives the difference between the 'buy' and the 'sell' price.  I can see the sell orders, and when one of them is used up, the price increases a little bit. Why don't the buy orders match? ie if the buy price goes up by 2 sats, why doesn't the sell price goes up 2 sats?

trading for dummies 101?

A part of that difference is a fee that the exchange platform gets.

In every currency market there is a difference between "buy" and "sell" price.

Usually the "Sell" price is higher because of that fee.

JarBinks

View Profile
June 15, 2016, 01:40:53 PM

trading for dummies 101?

I am pretty sure the fee is not factored into the price.
It gets deducted from the amount you are willing to trade, so if you commit .01 BTC to a trade and the fee is .2%, then you actually buy .00998 worth.
Now that is not to say when people set their buy or sell price they do not consider the fee and set a slightly different price.
I agree with the premise of the comment and that is "Pay attention to the fees"
SatHunter (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 15, 2016, 02:50:34 PM

The fee is the same in all cases - 2%. It doesn't make up the difference between some coins. Coin A buy is .000035, sell is .000033; Coin B buy is .0000035, sell is .000012

I can see that this may be because Coin B is almost dead - supply and demand. I'm just trying to learn.
JarBinks

View Profile
June 15, 2016, 03:23:05 PM

The fee is the same in all cases - 2%. It doesn't make up the difference between some coins. Coin A buy is .000035, sell is .000033; Coin B buy is .0000035, sell is .000012

I can see that this may be because Coin B is almost dead - supply and demand. I'm just trying to learn.

On Yobit, most fees are 0.2%, not 2%, but they do set them by currency.  Some exchanges have the same fees across all currencies.

I agree a large spread could indicate a dead coin or at least dead on that exchange.  Other exchanges the spread might be small with lots of volume.
And if the coin isn't currently dead, a large spread will certainly not help, since it means orders are not getting satisfied, which means volume will be low.

https://coinmarketcap.com is a good site to get an idea as to where a coin is being traded.
outatime1

Activity: 364
Merit: 254

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
June 16, 2016, 03:24:22 AM

The buy and sell prices are completely independent because some people are offering a price to sell their bitcoins while other people are offering a price to buy. There can be a big or small gap between the two but there are also many sellers above the low sell price and many buyers below the top buy price. They will never overlap because when a sell price and buy price are the same, a transaction can occur.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
YoBit AirDrop $|
Get 700 YoDollars for Free!
🏆
Nouelle-Hunter

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
June 16, 2016, 06:18:45 AM

buying a coins  or a stock has different value with selling  cause its because of supply and demand

██████████    YoBit.net - Cryptocurrency Exchange - Over 350 coins
█████████    <<  ● $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$   >>
██████████    <<  ● Play DICE! Win 1-5 btc just for 5 mins!  >>
bestluck

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 16, 2016, 11:47:48 AM

Yeah, there is a difference in the 'buy' and 'sell' on yobit and all other exchanges also,

the difference is because of the demand of buyers and sellers,

when a buyer do not want to buy bitcoin on the currenct buy rate then he manipulate the price of bitcoin at there and so a demand is created which is viewable in the sell area, so when ever someone sell on that price which you demanded to get the coins at that instant,

and when a seller do not want to sell his coins on the current sell rate of the exhange then he manipulate the price of bitcoin at that area and so a demand is created which is viewable at the buy area, so whenever a person buy bitcoin at that price your coins are sold.
n691309
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 16, 2016, 11:51:04 AM

trading for dummies 101?

The buy and sell price is everytime different not only in bitcoin but in all currencies, stock market etc. If the buy price and sell price matches then it will be sold/bought (the transactions will happen) and the difference will still appear if the sell order or buy order is greater.
cwfabc

Activity: 141

View Profile
June 16, 2016, 11:52:39 AM

BTC's price have 100$ different from any exchange to OKCOIN.COM,when you sell BTC for 750$ each,you can sell 850$ on okcoin.com,you just need to coin on local exchange,then send your coin to okcoin and sell it on CFD of september.if you think it's usefull,follow my referal link:https://www.okcoin.com/?invid=2041092
Whosdaddy

Activity: 1148
Merit: 527

View Profile
June 17, 2016, 05:39:32 AM

trading for dummies 101?
Well its really very nice question. The difference between the 'buy' and the 'sell' price is Spread. Its not only happening with yobit it does happen with all money market. Most of the time spread are normal but when important news comes suddenly it increase and also happened this when off market hours start, like when market are changes Asian sessions to London or NY sessions.
Sled

Activity: 1680
Merit: 535

Bitcoin- in bullish time

View Profile
June 17, 2016, 06:00:15 AM

trading for dummies 101?
Wow that is a great question i always see that difference but i don't know what is the purpose of that. Now, im curious too so we need to wait for some expert to answer your question and clear my confusions.
philiveyjr
Legendary

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 17, 2016, 07:50:53 AM

BTC's price have 100$ different from any exchange to OKCOIN.COM,when you sell BTC for 750$ each,you can sell 850$ on okcoin.com,you just need to coin on local exchange,then send your coin to okcoin and sell it on CFD of september.if you think it's usefull,follow my referal link:https://www.okcoin.com/?invid=2041092

Thats not what the Op is asking about. This(your post) is what is called as arbitrage , that is seeing different prices on different exchanges, then buying at one and selling at the other. However not much profitable.

@Op, I believe what you mean is the Spread like whodaddy said. Say If there are 2 buyers and 2 sellers. Sellers wants 100$ for 1 btc, but the buyer 1 wants to pay only 98$ for the buy order. And buyer 2, wants to pay 95$. So the difference between buy and sell is 2$(100-98). Now if the buyer 1, decides to just buy it at 100, and buys from seller 1. So buyer1's order gets filled. Leaving new buy price at 95. Now say seller 1 has 2 more btc left at 100$, so now the spread will increase to 5$ and is the difference that you see when buying/selling.

deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2016, 08:53:39 AM

I don't understand what drives the difference between the 'buy' and the 'sell' price.  I can see the sell orders, and when one of them is used up, the price increases a little bit. Why don't the buy orders match? ie if the buy price goes up by 2 sats, why doesn't the sell price goes up 2 sats?

trading for dummies 101?
Well its really very nice question. The difference between the 'buy' and the 'sell' price is Spread. Its not only happening with yobit it does happen with all money market. Most of the time spread are normal but when important news comes suddenly it increase and also happened this when off market hours start, like when market are changes Asian sessions to London or NY sessions

And the "buy" price is called Bid, while the "sell" price is called Ask. The difference between the closest bid and ask (spread) in the orderbook depends mainly on the liquidity of the traded pair, i.e. how many buyers and sellers are in the market willing to buy and sell at the moment. There is a competition between both buyers and sellers over whose order gets filled first...

This competition drives the spread narrower

ausbit
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1019

View Profile
June 17, 2016, 08:50:39 PM

trading for dummies 101?
It is because of the demand of the people when you want to sell your coins at higher price then your coins are not sold instantly on yobit but they are marked as buy price at the other side of the exchange where people buy coins.
DoublerHunter

Activity: 2590
Merit: 644

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 07:29:40 AM

trading for dummies 101?
Well its really very nice question. The difference between the 'buy' and the 'sell' price is Spread. Its not only happening with yobit it does happen with all money market. Most of the time spread are normal but when important news comes suddenly it increase and also happened this when off market hours start, like when market are changes Asian sessions to London or NY sessions

And the "buy" price is called Bid, while the "sell" price is called Ask. The difference between the closest bid and ask (spread) in the orderbook depends mainly on the liquidity of the traded pair, i.e. how many buyers and sellers are in the market willing to buy and sell at the moment. There is a competition between both buyers and sellers over whose order gets filled first...

This competition drives the spread narrower
Owww. now i understand thanks for the info and ideas that you brought here now it clears my confusion for that buy and sell difference in price Cheesy.
el kaka22
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 1162

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
June 18, 2016, 09:21:22 PM

trading for dummies 101?

No, the difference in the price of buy and sell on yobit exchange is not because of the fee they charge but it is because people who want to sell their coins at higher and want to buy from other people at lower price.

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
█████████████████████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
thend1949

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 19, 2016, 01:36:14 AM

trading for dummies 101?

They have only small difference because they want to buy the altcoin that theyve wanted to buy as soon as possible, but if the difference of it is almost half the price of selling price they only want to buy to try the altcoin and they dont sure about the price of it. It will dump anytime so they set at half price.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: