Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:05:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Moving the wallet.dat file  (Read 1923 times)
cosmicboy (OP)

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 01:46:28 AM

I've installed electrum on a truecrypt disk. However it is still putting the wallet on the unecrypted c drive. Is there any way to put this on the encrypted drive too?
-cb
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
btcven

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2013, 02:48:16 AM

You can use the command -w to point to the wallet you want the app to use.

In Terminal:
./electrum -w /path/to/truecrypt/electrum.dat

Or just add the -w /... part to the launcher (on Windows)

Admin: rdymac (PGP) | contacto@bitcoinvenezuela.com | @cafebitcoin | Electrum, lightweight bitcoin client
If I've been helpful tip me a coffee! Cheesy1rdymachKZpA9pTYHYHMYZjfjnoBW6B3k Bitrated user: rdymac.
cosmicboy (OP)

View Profile
March 10, 2013, 04:06:05 PM

"Or just add the -w /... part to the launcher (on Windows)"

Sounds great but not sure how to do this? I did look around online but can't find out how.

thanks,
cb
btcven

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2013, 04:48:24 PM

"Or just add the -w /... part to the launcher (on Windows)"

Sounds great but not sure how to do this? I did look around online but can't find out how.

thanks,
cb

When you intall Electrum in Windows with the Installer you'll have a shortcut in the Desktop, duplicate it and change the properties of that shortcut to add -w C:/Users/Desktop/electrum.dat or the path you want after the shortcut path to "executable" or whatever the default is

Admin: rdymac (PGP) | contacto@bitcoinvenezuela.com | @cafebitcoin | Electrum, lightweight bitcoin client
If I've been helpful tip me a coffee! Cheesy1rdymachKZpA9pTYHYHMYZjfjnoBW6B3k Bitrated user: rdymac.
samadamsbeer

Activity: 93

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 09:25:42 PM

Very cool. Is that wallet.dat encrypted itself? Is it possible to password protect the client to prevent theft to someone who has access to my computer? Ubuntu user here.
btcven

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2013, 03:39:04 AM

Very cool. Is that wallet.dat encrypted itself? Is it possible to password protect the client to prevent theft to someone who has access to my computer? Ubuntu user here.

When you first create your Electrum wallet it gives you your seed (to be able to restore it in the future) and ask you to encrypt your wallet. Just use a strong password and your seed, that is inside your electrum.dat file will be encrypted (public addresses are not encrypted, but they are already public anyways). You'll be asked to enter your password in order to spend your coins.

Your seed is your access to all your private keys. You must not lose it.

cosmicboy (OP)

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 05:17:33 PM

Thanks adding that to the shortcut did the trick. To the encryption question, I just want to put the whole thing in a truecrypt container so there is no trace on my computer and no way a hacker could access it while the drive is not mounted.

cb
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: