Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 09:51:47 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ETH hardfork incoming.  (Read 18996 times)
Cryptology (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

In Cryptography We Trust

View Profile
June 17, 2016, 09:39:17 AM

https://www.reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/4oif2x/dao_attack_exchanges_please_pause_eth_and_dao/

Don't move your ETH until solved.
spartacusrex

Activity: 718
Merit: 545

View Profile
June 17, 2016, 09:44:00 AM

I think that would be a very bad idea.

Can't roll-back every time someone writes a buggy contract. No matter how much is invested in it..

THIS is the HEART of crypto.

If he(Vitalik) does roll back, it means ETH is not decentralised..

There are literally 10's of thousands of other contracts running that have no issue at all.

Life is Code.
helloeverybody
Legendary

Merit: 1000

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2016, 09:47:35 AM

Its going to be a bit late to do  a hardfork once that eth gets dumped.  Im noticing some people are still buying atm.  I guess they never got the news yet.

IanFoxley
Legendary

Activity: 910

View Profile
June 17, 2016, 09:48:08 AM

Can't roll-back every time someone writes a buggy contract. No matter how much is invested in it..

There are literally 10's of thousands of other contracts running that have no issue at all.

I remember when the devs of Vericoin did something similar, it did not go down too well with the community.

Cryptology (OP)
Legendary

In Cryptography We Trust

View Profile
June 17, 2016, 09:49:47 AM

I agree. I would rather let the theDAO burn and save ETH but based on that post looks like this is what they will do.
Cryptology (OP)
Legendary

In Cryptography We Trust

View Profile
June 17, 2016, 09:51:15 AM

Its going to be a bit late to do  a hardfork once that eth gets dumped.  Im noticing some people are still buying atm.  I guess they never got the news yet.

TheDao is not ETH. They are betting that ETH will survive whatever happens to the DAO. It is a sensible bet IMHO.
helloeverybody
Legendary

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2016, 10:01:17 AM

TheDao is not ETH. They are betting that ETH will survive whatever happens to the DAO. It is a sensible bet IMHO.

If those hacked eth taht have come out of the dao get dumped then eth will plummet much further than  it has already.  Eth will still be alive but dumped down to very low prices. 

ICOcountdown.com

Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2016, 10:11:36 AM

Satoshi did rollback.

Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4396
Merit: 3062

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
June 17, 2016, 10:17:20 AM

What's so wrong with a good old fashioned fund freeze / rollback?
This: https://web.archive.org/web/20150810141857/http://bitcoinmoney.com/post/53207712103/your-bitcoins-are-not-safe-at-alt-coin-exchanges

Shit, meet fan.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
June 17, 2016, 10:18:33 AM

Satoshi did rollback.

He did it for a bug in a coin code itself, not because someone sent coins to the wrong address.
ATA Group

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 17, 2016, 10:26:42 AM

They can't do it, it's not decentralised if they are going to do shit like this. No one is going to invest seriously if a couple of nerds can reset all the stuff. They are going to kill ETH along with DAO.

monsanto
Legendary

Activity: 1241
Merit: 1005

..like bright metal on a sullen ground.

View Profile
June 17, 2016, 10:38:29 AM

I remember when the devs of Vericoin did something similar, it did not go down too well with the community.

Yes, I remember when mintpal was hacked and a large share of all Vericoins were stolen.  They had to fork because the percentage of coins was so great that the entire coin would be effectively owned by the hacker.

I remember the LTC dev Coblee was totally against it and had some harsh words for the vericoin devs.
Bitdrunk

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 17, 2016, 10:38:58 AM

If those hacked eth taht have come out of the dao get dumped then eth will plummet much further than  it has already.  Eth will still be alive but dumped down to very low prices. 

The next dogecoin?  lol
glerant

Activity: 565
Merit: 316

View Profile
June 17, 2016, 10:39:45 AM

They can't do it, it's not decentralised if they are going to do shit like this. No one is going to invest seriously if a couple of nerds can reset all the stuff. They are going to kill ETH along with DAO.

Agree.
It looks like DAO is finished - I feel bad for DAO investors, however that is one thing and future lessons will be learned.

However it would be a huge mistake for ETH devs to jump in without due diligence (something DAO team and investors may have done more of) and compound the DAO failure by trashing any confidence in ETH.

Maybe there should be voting on whether to allow smart contracts to proceed and on a time delay before they are allowed to start?
Traderx

Activity: 58

View Profile
June 17, 2016, 10:41:38 AM

can you kill a 1.3B marketcap coin?
spartacusrex

Activity: 718
Merit: 545

View Profile
June 17, 2016, 10:41:48 AM

Hmm..

IF they do a roll-back.. what happens to all the ETH put in exchanges and sold in the period that get's 'reset'.. ?

Life is Code.
tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 3990
Merit: 1426

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
June 17, 2016, 10:50:58 AM

Not only that.  If they roll back, Ethereum will be one big joke in crypto.  But it could be doomed either way.  They continue, it's bad, Ethereum's pet project the DAO loses over a hundred million.  If they roll back, it's laughable, and they're viewed as incompetent fools.

This is a bad time.  I hope they figure this out real quick and that no one loses their investment.  I feel fr those people who are invested.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
EthDumper

Activity: 1

View Profile
June 17, 2016, 10:52:44 AM

http://pastebin.com/aMKwQcHR
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
June 17, 2016, 10:54:15 AM

Not only that.  If they roll back, Ethereum will be one big joke in crypto.  But it could be doomed either way.  They continue, it's bad, Ethereum's pet project the DAO loses over a hundred million.  If they roll back, it's laughable, and they're viewed as incompetent fools.

This is a bad time.  I hope they figure this out real quick and that no one loses their investment.  I feel fr those people who are invested.

They will roll it back and try to spend the next year in 'glossing it over' hoping the glamor has not rubbed off and another pump to save their reputation..bet on it Smiley

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
Jacques21

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 17, 2016, 10:55:05 AM

Looks like there is a fix though, seems the stolen eth cant be sold for a while. It may give them time to fix it.

A hardfork would be the worst thing they can do, it would be better to try and salvage what is left after this in some other way.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: