Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 01:12:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: There was no DAO hack  (Read 11605 times)
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2016, 01:23:12 PM

When you have one global corporation (a group of companies beholden to their collective oligarchy) charging fees, this is equivalent to taxation. They will charge their failures to the collective and keep the profits. It is just a world government by another name.

And I agree they will want privacy, except they will demand to have the masterkey to see everything.

I totally agree with making privacy technology for corporations. I was emphasizing that months ago in the Thoughts on Zcash thread.

Individual focused anonymity technology has no market and no future.

Note we are threadjacking the DAO hack theme. So if we want to discuss the tangent further, it would be best to start a new thread or move discussion to an appropriate existing thread.

Fair enough. I think the only sticking point we would have is over the new corporate system's need to see people's private information as they would get their money upfront, while traditional governments have used taxation to get their money after the fact--so if you started a new thread, my point would be that you don't need an IRS if you have a national sales tax, and if the companies are collecting the fees for themselves, you don't need much, if any, oversight at all.

Sorry, smooth, for getting this off-topic.

iamnotback

Activity: 336
Merit: 265

View Profile
June 27, 2016, 01:28:25 PM

Sorry, smooth, for getting this off-topic.

That anonymity discussion continues here.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3850
Merit: 4994

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
June 27, 2016, 03:20:26 PM

Well from what I've been able to gather the flaw is built into the "Gas", IOW the ETH language for the contracts is inherently flawed so it matters not if it's DAO or some other contract there will be a (multiple?) flaw/s inherited. Is this a correct assumption?

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
Auponef

Activity: 236
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 27, 2016, 07:38:08 PM

Well from what I've been able to gather the flaw is built into the "Gas", IOW the ETH language for the contracts is inherently flawed so it matters not if it's DAO or some other contract there will be a (multiple?) flaw/s inherited. Is this a correct assumption?

If that is the case, you can attack any contracts now. Why just the DAO was attacked?
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
June 27, 2016, 08:39:44 PM

Yes and no, but mostly no (imo).

A lot of the complexity in the design of Ethereum and in the correct coding of contracts comes as a consequences of the requirement to abruptly terminate execution when gas runs out.

But aside from being complex and perhaps a bad design or even a bad idea from the very beginning, there are no flaws of which I'm aware in how the gas mechanism works. It working as designed.

Whether that constitutes 'inherently flawed' is a matter of opinion.
smooth (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
June 27, 2016, 08:41:45 PM

He was suggesting a fork that would block some or all transactions unless they have ID attached, a form of whitelisting. It is the method of 51% attacking the coin to hold it hostage to demand design changes. It might work, but waiting out the attacker is another option. The more of a backlog of fee-paying transactions develop that the attacker won't process, the more incentive there is for other miners to join.

IC, thx for clarifying that for me.

smooth thank you for the honest re-summary of my statement.

smooth actually including the viewkey, not necessary an ID.

smooth I am thinking of 10X hashrate attack as well, not just a 51% attack, which I had explained in the other thread is much more brutal on the other miners. In either case, the attacker can change the protocol to award his miners the fees from "incorrect transactions", while refusing to process the other outputs. So sorry your logic is refuted. The payer's input becomes spent/confiscated and the Cryptonote rings can do nothing to stop this.

Miners, including attacking miners, can not 'change the protocol'. They can hold the chain hostage by blocking transactions which may work as a sort of leverage to push through protocol changes, but that depends a lot on the wider context.
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
June 27, 2016, 08:43:05 PM

A lot of the complexity in the design of Ethereum and in the correct coding of contracts comes as a consequences of the requirement to abruptly terminate execution when gas runs out.

But aside from being complex and perhaps a bad design or even a bad idea from the very beginning, there are no flaws of which I'm aware in how the gas mechanism works. It working as designed.

Always glad your around to clear up misconceptions and cut through all the noise. Smiley

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
sadasa

Activity: 446
Merit: 250

Unpaid signature.

View Profile
June 28, 2016, 08:26:21 AM

Always glad your around to clear up misconceptions and cut through all the noise. Smiley

So the Ethereum itself is quite safe, or not buggy. The problem is in the writing or the coding of the contract.

B2

BitDouble.io

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
iamnotback

Activity: 336
Merit: 265

View Profile
June 28, 2016, 08:53:33 AM

So the Ethereum itself is quite safe, or not buggy. The problem is in the writing or the coding of the contract.

Incorrect.
Bemerand

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 28, 2016, 03:24:10 PM

Incorrect.

If that is incorrect, is that a fundamental flaw that cannot be reparied by removing the loopholes? If so, why the price is not below $5?

88.36255237114% of all ICO's are SCAMS
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
June 28, 2016, 04:23:25 PM

Incorrect.

If that is incorrect, is that a fundamental flaw that cannot be reparied by removing the loopholes? If so, why the price is not below $5?

Well the answer to that is simple, the entire coin is speculator fueled.

BitUsher
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1034

View Profile
June 28, 2016, 06:24:46 PM

The Daft will be the next DAO!

http://coinvend.io/thedaft
http://www.thedaft.party/wtf/
2dogs
Legendary

Activity: 1267