Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:08:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining in Winter bellow 0 Celsius?  (Read 3595 times)
Roboabhishek

Activity: 882
Merit: 528

View Profile
July 19, 2016, 01:41:07 PM

Why not just run them in your house and re use the heat instead of wating  it in a shed.  I know they can be noisy but seeing as the by product is heat it seems a shame to waste it.  You would be killing 2 birds with 1 stone.
I would really love to run them at home. But our house is very small, and running 4 of those in the living room will make it extremely loud.

you should live in hotel and let the 4 miners active at home because in that loud noise you can not sleep and you will force your wife will kick you out in chilled weather  Tongue with your miners  Grin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Wilhelmus

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 19, 2016, 01:54:43 PM

If you can make sure that there's no downtime and that the shed is well isolated, especially from humidity, then there shouldn't have any problem.
AdolfinWolf
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427

View Profile
September 18, 2016, 07:37:34 PM

If you can make sure that there's no downtime and that the shed is well isolated, especially from humidity, then there shouldn't have any problem.
yeah, it would be really good actually, you have a win win situation, your home isn't 500 degrees and you got free cooling for your miners. It shouldn't be a problem unless your shed is badly isolated, which i mean by that is that snow/rain/water/condens can come in, then you're fucked..

QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
September 18, 2016, 09:20:57 PM

You can run them in a shed no problem, the heat will warm up and dry up the place. Prepare a plan where you can heat up the place BEFORE starting up the miner, IE do not start the miner at -20 C

1 miner might not be enough to warm however. might need 4 hehe.
Okay thanks. I guess I could also just use a heater to heat up the place before starting them.
And the heat/cold mix won't create too much moisture?

As the miners heat the shed up, it will DROP the relative humidity in the shed, moisture won't be an issue.
 Just make sure it doesn't leak, and that you have the ability to flow a little air through it even in the winter in case your miners are generating TOO MUCH heat.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Bitsaurus

Activity: 873
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 19, 2016, 10:15:19 AM

If you have any opening near the bottom you could always keep a small trough of water to act as a passive heat exchange with half of it sticking out of the shed.  Geothermal hothouses use this cooling method.
Foref1982

Activity: 102
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 19, 2016, 06:54:55 PM

You could keep running them in the shed to keep it warm, but you've to do a risk analysis before. If you can handle the risks, they'll run safe and your shed'll be pleasantly warm. However, you'll need more than one miner to do that.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
September 19, 2016, 09:49:18 PM

Did you not have any issue with them getting wet? I thought if you run them in extremely cold conditions the heat would cause condensation and then you would start getting water all over your miners which everntually would cause big problems. At -20 i thought maybe your fans could seize up as well unless you were running them without them due to it being cold enough already?

Backwards.
 Warm humid air flowing over COLD item causes condensation.
 The issue with electronics at extreme cold is that it can stop working, or just not work right - but if it's running before the outside temp gets that low, the internal heat generation can often keep an electronic device warm enough to KEEP working correctly.

One possible trick to use, if the shed is close enough to the house ANd if it gets warm enough - run a duct from the hot part of the shed to the house heating ductwork, with a temp-controlled fan blowing the air from the shed to the house and a flapper valve set up to not let the air flow back the OTHER way.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
kanazawa

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 21, 2016, 01:16:08 PM

The problem will be the humidity that could damage your hardware... It is water, so, how could not damage a chip that is working with electricity? Now, as I know, some places are amazing to mining in extreme low temperatures because these places have a arid or semi-arid weather who has almost zero of humidity. As I know (because I was there) some places in Mongolia, some regions in Chile and some in Australia has this characteristics. But I also think that some structures to prevent humidity are well developed and maybe could be used for this reason.

]░░░░░░▄▄███████████▄▄
░░░░▄███▀░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀██▄
░░░██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
░░███▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀███
███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███
██░█░░░░░░░█▀▀▀█░░░░░░░░░█░██
█▌░█░░░░░░░█░░░█░░░░░░░░░█░▐█
█▌░░█░░░░░░██▀▀▀░░░░░░░░█░░▐█
█▌░▄▄░░░░░░█░█░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▐█
███▀░░░░░░░█░░▀▄░░░░░░░░░▀███
██▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄██
░░██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██