Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 12:33:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining in Winter bellow 0 Celsius?  (Read 3595 times)
pixel375 (OP)

Activity: 74
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 23, 2016, 12:03:24 AM

Hello,
I have done quite a bit of research, but haven't found a proper answer yet.
I live in Canada and would like to build a little mining farm out in a shed made of thin steel.
Here it gets bellow -35 degrees Celsius, but miner temperatures go down to only 0 degrees.
What would happen if i had them running in this shed? Wouldn't they heat up the shed enough to keep it warm? Or would they just create moisture and shorten out?
This seems very dangerous...
What would you guys recommend?
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
secup

Activity: 37

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2016, 03:49:26 AM

You can run them in a shed no problem, the heat will warm up and dry up the place. Prepare a plan where you can heat up the place BEFORE starting up the miner, IE do not start the miner at -20 C

1 miner might not be enough to warm however. might need 4 hehe.
pixel375 (OP)

View Profile
June 23, 2016, 03:52:08 AM

You can run them in a shed no problem, the heat will warm up and dry up the place. Prepare a plan where you can heat up the place BEFORE starting up the miner, IE do not start the miner at -20 C

Okay thanks. I guess I could also just use a heater to heat up the place before starting them.
And the heat/cold mix won't create too much moisture?
michelem
Legendary

Activity: 1015
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2016, 03:51:14 PM

It seems really dangerous even if you are able to warm up the place before you turn on them. What does happen if everything goes down for a while and then the devices restart? A disaster, trust me Smiley

Get Minera. Your next bitcoin mining dashboard. Donations are welcome
helloeverybody
Legendary

Activity: 1008

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2016, 09:28:46 PM

Why not just run them in your house and re use the heat instead of wating  it in a shed.  I know they can be noisy but seeing as the by product is heat it seems a shame to waste it.  You would be killing 2 birds with 1 stone.

pixel375 (OP)

View Profile
June 23, 2016, 10:56:27 PM

Why not just run them in your house and re use the heat instead of wating  it in a shed.  I know they can be noisy but seeing as the by product is heat it seems a shame to waste it.  You would be killing 2 birds with 1 stone.
I would really love to run them at home. But our house is very small, and running 4 of those in the living room will make it extremely loud.
Barnabe

Activity: 616
Merit: 503

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
June 29, 2016, 09:24:18 PM

Did some one already had this kind of problem ? It's the first time I hear that miners need a minimum of heat (usually people want the coldest place for their miners so they can overclock/overvolt them).

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
tbonetony

Activity: 441
Merit: 250

No zuo no die why you try, u zuo u die dont be shy

View Profile
June 30, 2016, 07:34:58 AM

Hello,
I live in Canada and would like to build a little mining farm out in a shed made of thin steel.
Here it gets bellow -35 degrees Celsius, but miner temperatures go down to only 0 degrees.
What would happen if i had them running in this shed? Wouldn't they heat up the shed enough to keep it warm? Or would they just create moisture and shorten out?

I have tried running a few S5's in balcony through last winter. Surprisingly they all survived without any issues at around -20. Below this temp I didn't run them. To prevent dust I put them all under a sofa cover. Fans usually were under 3k rpm. Only time I had problem with it was the router failed to boot up. (yea i threw a wifi router on balcony as a repeater of my main indoor router.)

Customizable full-featured crypto trading platform in development. Asking for demo if interested.

I offer private S9 rental for various length: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1708351.0
Sierra8561

Activity: 546
Merit: 253

View Profile
June 30, 2016, 04:41:52 PM

This winter I'll definitely be running some test. It will be very interesting to see just how cold and efficient I can run.
helloeverybody
Legendary

Activity: 1008

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2016, 04:45:09 PM

Hello,

I have tried running a few S5's in balcony through last winter. Surprisingly they all survived without any issues at around -20. Below this temp I didn't run them. To prevent dust I put them all under a sofa cover. Fans usually were under 3k rpm. Only time I had problem with it was the router failed to boot up. (yea i threw a wifi router on balcony as a repeater of my main indoor router.)

Did you not have any issue with them getting wet? I thought if you run them in extremely cold conditions the heat would cause condensation and then you would start getting water all over your miners which everntually would cause big problems. At -20 i thought maybe your fans could seize up as well unless you were running them without them due to it being cold enough already?

tbonetony

View Profile
June 30, 2016, 06:00:22 PM

Hello,

Did you not have any issue with them getting wet? I thought if you run them in extremely cold conditions the heat would cause condensation and then you would start getting water all over your miners which everntually would cause big problems. At -20 i thought maybe your fans could seize up as well unless you were running them without them due to it being cold enough already?

Well of course you need to ensure there would be no tons of snow around your miner. Some slush was fine for me. The sofa cover helped a lot because it was breathable but also kept some warm air inside it. This made the cover like an inflated balloon. inner temperature would be around 10 degC.

You will need to play with the cover a bit so ensure it allows air flow to enter from the bottom tip, while also allows over heated air to escape from the top by poking a few small holes (1~2 cm diameter).

Customizable full-featured crypto trading platform in development. Asking for demo if interested.

I offer private S9 rental for various length: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1708351.0
pixel375 (OP)

View Profile
June 30, 2016, 06:16:03 PM

I'll probably just run them in a wooden shed that we built not too long ago. And I might just throw in a cheap thermostat and heater to keep it above 10 degrees. The only thing I'd be scared with is running all that in a wooden shed... Might burn down -.-
Barnabe

View Profile
July 02, 2016, 10:58:56 AM

Hello,

Well of course you need to ensure there would be no tons of snow around your miner. Some slush was fine for me. The sofa cover helped a lot because it was breathable but also kept some warm air inside it. This made the cover like an inflated balloon. inner temperature would be around 10 degC.

You will need to play with the cover a bit so ensure it allows air flow to enter from the bottom tip, while also allows over heated air to escape from the top by poking a few small holes (1~2 cm diameter).
Haha Awesome ! It seems like a nice setup. Do you have any pictures ?
Wouldn't it be better to store them in a cold place in your house, like a basement ? At least this way the heat would not be lost and you could save a few bucks in heating.

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
tbonetony

View Profile
July 02, 2016, 06:03:57 PM

Hello,

Wouldn't it be better to store them in a cold place in your house, like a basement ? At least this way the heat would not be lost and you could save a few bucks in heating.

lol i wouldn't call it nice but definite did its job throughout the entire winter, and, CHEAP!
I didn't take any pictures of and the rigs were sold a few month ago.
I live in a one bedroom condo so indoor doesn't work for me at all. even you can mine in your basement, the heat can still be hard to manage, depending how good ventilation you have there, but in the winter, i guess it would work well.

pixel375 (OP)

View Profile
July 03, 2016, 01:12:49 AM

Hello,

Thats only if you have a basement. Luckily I don't! Cause everyone around here has flooded basements every summer.
Barnabe

View Profile
July 03, 2016, 10:31:39 AM

Hello,

Thats only if you have a basement. Luckily I don't! Cause everyone around here has flooded basements every summer.
Have you considered watercooling ? Grin
But why are basements flooded ? Is it because of a lack of isolation or simply because most houses are not very well build and water flows through cracks or something ?

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
Betwrong
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 2144

Stand with Ukraine

View Profile
July 03, 2016, 12:29:46 PM

Okay thanks. I guess I could also just use a heater to heat up the place before starting them.

You should provide a good ventilation in the place. Of course too much moisture will be created but a good ventilation will dry the place out. Miners have their ventilation by themselves but I'm talking about the room ventilation.

.BLACKJACK ♠ FUN.
█████████
██████████████
████████████
█████████████████
████████████████▄▄
░█████████████▀░▀▀
██████████████████
░██████████████
████████████████
░██████████████
████████████
███████████████░██
██████████
CRYPTO CASINO &
SPORTS BETTING
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
███████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
▀███████████████▀
█████████
pixel375 (OP)

View Profile
July 03, 2016, 06:03:08 PM

You should provide a good ventilation in the place. Of course too much moisture will be created but a good ventilation will dry the place out. Miners have their ventilation by themselves but I'm talking about the room ventilation.

So a big server room fan cooler to keep the air moving, and a air exhaust flap on the side of the room should do the trick?
FIN_BTC

Activity: 25

View Profile
July 04, 2016, 10:42:24 AM

Im heating my garage and house here in Finland. Last winter there were -30C outside so two S5 kept place around +10 degree. There is no problem if miners are running and ambient temp goes down like to -20C for a while like when you opening garage door but you can't start cold miner. So you have to heat them first so basicly those are just like a cars Cheesy And dont keep them too long in place where is minus degrees because the chips starting to get some ice and after that you get some problems.
Betwrong
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 2144

Stand with Ukraine

View Profile
July 17, 2016, 10:04:48 AM

So a big server room fan cooler to keep the air moving, and a air exhaust flap on the side of the room should do the trick?

I think yes, but you'll see it by yourself: if there is still a lot of moisture in the room - open the flap more or make it bigger, only make sure that the air outside doesn't have more moisture in it than the air inside.

.BLACKJACK ♠ FUN.
█████████
██████████████
████████████
█████████████████
████████████████▄▄
░█████████████▀░▀▀
██████████████████
░██████████████
████████████████
░██████████████
████████████