Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 05:43:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Who will you choose to replacement Gavin, in case something happened?  (Read 1993 times)
ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2013, 10:59:19 PM

Also on Reddit.

If (god/satoshi forbid), Gavin were struct by lightning and/or assassinated by the CIA and/or ran over by a bus...

Who do you think would be the best candidate to be the lead Bitcoin developer? I'm not referring to bitcoin-qt specifically, but rather "the bitcoin protocol and agenda", which currently includes bitcoin-qt as a reference implementation.

The future of currency can't rely on one person. We must have a contingency plan. I currently trust him close to 100%, and I don't have a lot of other people that come close.

I would like to create a poll and check the wind.
My candidates for this poll would be Mike Hearn and Jeff Garzik.
I prefer gathering up several more names before I create the poll, to avoid voting bias.

Who would you like to see featured in such a poll?

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association
Kempelen

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 11:02:47 PM

etotheipi
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 11:05:39 PM

Luke-jr.
Then we'll have PopeCoin Tongue
or maybe TonalCoin, whatever that is.
Zomdifros

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 11:09:05 PM

Is it really necessary to do this? Given his age, it is statistically unlikely that Gavin is going to die anytime soon, so if something happens, I'm sure we will figure this out. If the Vatican can elect a new pope in a couple of weeks, I'm sure the Bitcoin community can find a new lead developer within reasonable time.

Mjbmonetarymetals
Legendary

Activity: 1096
Merit: 1067

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 11:16:32 PM

Bitrated user: Mick.
ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2013, 11:19:06 PM

Is it really necessary to do this? Given his age, it is statistically unlikely that Gavin is going to die anytime soon, so if something happens, I'm sure we will figure this out. If the Vatican can elect a new pope in a couple of weeks, I'm sure the Bitcoin community can find a new lead developer within reasonable time.

Yes.

Bitcoin isn't a one person cult. It's bigger than Gavin, and he should have a replacement / "2nd in command", even if it's not official.

His role is such a huge responsibility. Frankly, I don't care who is head of the Vatican, and the election process there is anything but fair, open and democratic.

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5208
Merit: 13013

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 11:26:36 PM

gmaxwell

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
candoo

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

Vertrau in Gott

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 11:28:52 PM

I could handle that for you guys!

Einer trage des andern Last, so werdet ihr das Gesetz Christi erfüllen.
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1068

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 11:36:18 PM

Who would you like to see featured in such a poll?
Mircea Popescu, to see how much support he has. Actual-support as opposed to PR-support.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
d'aniel

Activity: 461
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 11:43:09 PM

Mike Hearn, Pieter Wuille, Jeff Garzik, and Gregory Maxwell all seem very capable.  I've ordered them from less to more conservative (in my view).

I find myself more in line with Mike Hearn, who seems more willing to push the boundaries of this experiment.  But Pieter Wuille seems very thoughtful, and I'd be happy with him taking the reigns as well.  Jeff Garzik and Gregory Maxwell are brilliant, but maybe a bit too conservative for my tastes.  No offense Smiley

That said, I think Gavin is doing an outstanding job, and I hope he lives 1000 years.

Edit: Though I'd be perfectly happy with any of these people leading development in the event that Gavin steps down.
ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2013, 11:43:54 PM

If (god/satoshi forbid), Gavin were struct by lightning and/or assassinated by the CIA and/or ran over by a bus...

Why do we have to refer to him as god? I hate when people hold one man in such a high level, this kills a core value of bitcoin.

Joke...
And I was not referring to satoshi as a god, but rather as two different entities (both of which have the power to strike people with lightning).

Cyberdyne

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 12, 2013, 11:48:44 PM

Pieter Wuille

+1 Was about to post.
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1038

Death to enemies!

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 12:16:01 AM

I expect Satoshi to return to appoint new project leader. Satoshi once made a successful choice, probably no one could do it better.

If Satoshi is alive, is not group of people or Luke-Jr, still have his PGP key and Satoshi is not Gavin himself.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 12:36:26 AM

MysteryMiner
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2013, 01:52:35 AM

Unfortunately from the small amount of observing I did on #bitcoin-dev last night, Jeff seemed to not get consensus maybe a little too often to take the reins.

However that might just be an artifact of his not being the lead developer thus being more free to [seem to] espouse positions that aren't at that moment the clear consensus.

As I don't know whether it was such an artifact though, I'd have to say from that brief span of observation I'd have had to choose Gregory, at least during the duration of the "emergency".

If Luke was in charge at the Vatican maybe it would be policy there to always take at least two years to appoint a new pope! Wink Cheesy

So lets wait at least 2 years before putting him in the poll! Hahaha. Smiley

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1038

Death to enemies!

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 02:08:51 AM

MysteryMiner
remote access trojan in every bitcoin install.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
misterbigg
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 02:11:42 AM

Maybe we could hire the Litecoin "developers" to teach us a thing or two?
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 02:12:05 AM

I'm only voting for you because your posting style reminds me of this, so I almost crack up laughing every time I read one of your posts:

oakpacific

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 03:49:58 AM

The problem is: who should make the decision? All developers/miners/users should be eligible for a vote, or Satoshi shows up again to appoint or just nominate one person? Or Gavin himself would appoint his successor?

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
March 13, 2013, 04:04:27 AM

Has anyone noticed you've never seen Atlas and Gavin at the same time? Geez this thread is silly.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: