Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 10:00:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is blocks not 'filled up'?  (Read 1449 times)
frha (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 24, 2016, 11:24:29 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

I notice that every once in a while, there comes along blocks with lots of space left over even when there are loads of unconfirmed transactions.
Like this one : https://blockchain.info/block/000000000000000004ae1a3b7ac7c7422a779e4ea9eb8e3c14935a80ca51dc17
This block was mined when there was over 6000 unconfirmed transactions.
What's the logic behind not filling up the block? Don't this just delay the whole network and give less transaction-fees to the miner ?
achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3430
Merit: 6720

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2016, 12:07:25 AM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

I notice that every once in a while, there comes along blocks with lots of space left over even when there are loads of unconfirmed transactions.
Like this one : https://blockchain.info/block/000000000000000004ae1a3b7ac7c7422a779e4ea9eb8e3c14935a80ca51dc17
This block was mined when there was over 6000 unconfirmed transactions.
What's the logic behind not filling up the block? Don't this just delay the whole network and give less transaction-fees to the miner ?
There isn't really an logic to it. It may simply be that the miner's node is set to a point where many of those unconfirmed transactions are rejected. Additionally, there are many many empty blocks that are mined. IIRC if all blocks had the same number of transactions, there would be no backlog and no blocks would ever be full. One of the easiest ways to increase capacity is to have miners not produce empty blocks.

Swagtoshi

Activity: 261
Merit: 102

View Profile
June 27, 2016, 01:08:27 AM

The transaction fee are relatively small to the reward the miners get for solving a block, so the miners just don't bother about the transactions. It is all caused by greed.
Decoded
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1030

give me your cryptos

View Profile
June 28, 2016, 01:52:29 AM

The transaction fee are relatively small to the reward the miners get for solving a block, so the miners just don't bother about the transactions. It is all caused by greed.

Not even close. A miner can choose to base the block they mine on certain transactions from a certain node, some nodes (maybe even the miner's) will purposely reject transactions. It's not logical, it's the choice of the miner.

looking for a signature campaign, dm me for that
JarBinks

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 28, 2016, 03:49:39 AM

Not even close. A miner can choose to base the block they mine on certain transactions from a certain node, some nodes (maybe even the miner's) will purposely reject transactions. It's not logical, it's the choice of the miner.

I accept that a miner can determine what is in the block.
But if the miner chooses their transactions and the block is not full, then any remaining space gets filled in with existing waiting transactions, even in descending fee order would be acceptable.
Granted the miners would need to be enticed, or forced, to run that code but, I would think this does not violate too many BTC ground rules and might actually be better in the long run.

Now this is just an idea and I admit my limited knowledge of the bitcoin network is just enough to be dangerous.
I hope and I am not be too naive and I look forward to some reality.
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4144
Merit: 1637

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2016, 01:01:28 PM

Long discussion with plenty of explanations in the mining section:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1085800.0

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
Monnt
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 03, 2016, 04:52:52 AM

I accept that a miner can determine what is in the block.
But if the miner chooses their transactions and the block is not full, then any remaining space gets filled in with existing waiting transactions, even in descending fee order would be acceptable.
Granted the miners would need to be enticed, or forced, to run that code but, I would think this does not violate too many BTC ground rules and might actually be better in the long run.

Now this is just an idea and I admit my limited knowledge of the bitcoin network is just enough to be dangerous.
I hope and I am not be too naive and I look forward to some reality.

Sometimes the mempool is empty besides the 0 sat/byte transactions, or sometimes the sat/byte is so low that the fee the miners get is negligible.
-ck
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2016, 06:40:40 AM

Sometimes the mempool is empty besides the 0 sat/byte transactions, or sometimes the sat/byte is so low that the fee the miners get is negligible.
The bitcoin mempool hasn't been empty ever in many years.

-ck
2c0de

Activity: 138
Merit: 102

View Profile
July 06, 2016, 06:07:02 PM

It's simple, the block get mined quickly after another block. For the reason, the block is just getting filed and mined before full.

DHjxvnHB9RirtPbvkovSotn1fY2poNffoi
LWeT4wwDVdJ9x49UcXPyS6CznRpbQFM6nx
0x96273C2FD825f0A2745d917bbbfabD6032dC1aDD
-ck
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2016, 01:19:41 PM

It's simple, the block get mined quickly after another block. For the reason, the block is just getting filed and mined before full.
No, you are wrong. Read the thread link I gave about about empty blocks in the mining section. It's about about optimisations for performance given poorly scalable software solutions running on their pools. There are always enough transactions to fill a block these days.

-ck
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: